Jump or not: 14% higher pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say I'm doing fine in company A, the company is not doing the best but get by, people are OK. You are ok with the pay, life is ok as long as you are not a stressed out manager.

Someone from your old workplace (company B) 10 years ago ask you to join, you are bored so you go for an interview and they seems to be impressed, and understand that you are ok where you are but if the opportunity is right you may join. You ask for 25% more in company B, they offer you 13% more and say this is as high as they can give (you also get a level / title increase). You are debating whether to join or not.

Let's say you previously worked in company D for 7 years and then jump to company C for 1 year, you left company C because it is a sweat shop and have been with company A for exactly 1 year, with a 10% pay cut. Your are doing OK so far and your original plan is to stay for 2 more years before switching elsewhere (jumping too often does not look good).

If you are staying in company A:
Your life is a bit more relax, you have less of a learning curve, you get paid slightly less
The HQ is a bit bossy and your management is under constant cost pressure
May have a bad reputation because good people are leaving, attrition rate is high
You don't get a jumper reputation, people will think company C is the problem instead of you
The company only has 1% market share because of upper management problem
You are already at the top level without being a manager
Free lunch, good medical plan
Private company, no stock plan

If you jump to company B:
You get a 14% pay raise
You know the company is doing well (10-20% market share)
You know you can grow further (you have 1 more level before you max out)
People may think you are a jumper (2 recent job switch with only 1 year tenure? Did he get fired? Is he that bad?)
No free lunch, ok medical plan
Public company, stock plan like RSU and ESPP, this alone may push that 14% raise to 25% if you are lucky, or to 5% if you are not.

Long term goal is probably switching direction. My industry is stagnated because most of the money is made by our customers. My original plan is to study and switch into the customers' field and grow. If all goes well that can increase my pay in the long run by 50-100%, if didn't go well I should at least make what I'm making now.

Current pay is low 200k / year.

More background info:

There are other companies in our industry that told you flat out they cannot match what you are making in company A or compete with company B in offers.

There are more qualified people in the industry that is making less than what I'm making in company A, so I know I don't have much room for negotiation, realistically speaking.

Our customers industry is in a bubble (IMO), that resemble the 01 dot com. They may continue to make those ridiculous 300-400k pay but there is no guarantee. Some, like sweatshop C where I used to work, already starting to scale back future stock grant, trying to deflate the bubble or slow down. In the long run the profit margin in the customers industry is still way better, so they may still offer more for the next 10-20 years.

Timeline is B for 3 years -> D for 7 years -> sweatshop C for 1 year -> A for 1 year

That sweatshop is owned by "the richest man on earth" who is trying to build a rocket to Mars. He got that rich by trying to cramp 3 people's work to 1 and pay 50% more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Hard time understanding your timeline but curious what kind of a sweat shop pays low 200k/year (+ 10%)?

D -> C -> A -> B?

The kinds that are in Silicone Valley.

Sorry, I have no advice to the OP. Making over 200K; it sounds like you should be giving the career advice. I'd stick to your gut.

Company B for me. Better pay and better title also means better leverage when I leap from Company B to elsewhere, especially in the tech industry.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
it sounds like you should be giving the career advice. I'd stick to your gut.

https://leetcode.com/
https://hackerrank.com/
https://geeksforgeeks.org/

Google's 20 year experiment has shown that picking candidates based on school and degrees do not correlate to success, they started the entire "exam on every candidate on every application" trend, and now hire, level, and pay based on your test result.

I hated it as much as anyone else, but that's the rule of the industry now and everyone is doing it, so might as well study and practice constantly.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
Company B for me. Better pay and better title also means better leverage when I leap from Company B to elsewhere, especially in the tech industry.

+1

Would working for B, live you enough time for family+learning+keep up to date?

RE: jumping every 1 year. In your area, regular people(warehouse, maintenance personnel, etc etc) , because of cost would jump ship for .10-.50/hour increase....

Well: many years ago, I left a company with 2 weeks notice and my promise to still offer them after-hours support. Manager's goes cuckoo crazy,"we have so many projects", "we invested in you" yadda yadda, I let him cool off. Parents/owners diffused the situation next day with one short phrase: "He has to look out for his family". I after-hour supported them on a project nobody wanted to take on for 8 tears.

Also, don't get complacent/comfortable in A, unless you allocate the time to REALLY learn.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
I after-hour supported them on a project nobody wanted to take on for 8 tears.

You got paid in tears? That's quite a payment.

Or did you do it for 8 years?

Anyway, the tech field has always been crazy, lots of boom bust cycles, I don't think anyone would blame you for jumping ship and making more money. It can go both ways, sometimes sticking around for a while can lead to big jumps later whereas jumpers tend to run out of steam after a while. Just depends what kind of lifestyle you want to pursue.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Hard time understanding your timeline but curious what kind of a sweat shop pays low 200k/year (+ 10%)?
D -> C -> A -> B?

That salary won't go as far as you might think in Silicon Valley...I was a manager at a company based near SJ for several years, but I worked in a remote design center. I had to visit the HQ several times a year and started talking with my boss about houses in the area during one visit. I know this guy made more in salary than I did and I was almost embarrassed by the money I was pulling in from selling stock options at that time...this guy lived in an apartment and was saving up and waiting for a real estate downturn to buy a house! We were about the same age and I was close to paying off my house about 10 years in and this was also about when we bought our ski place for cash.
At least that guy could afford to live in the area, the gal who handled our travel arrangements at that company lived in the Central Valley and stayed with family near SJ during the week. An executive secretary I knew moved to NC or someplace like that when she got divorced because she knew she could never afford to live in Silicon Valley on her own.
Different world!

I stuck around the mainframe area of IT and there were times things did not look good for the mainframe. But here I am with 42 years of mainframe experience and that experience is now sought after as everyone who knew the mainframe retired.

The real question is why am I still here? Ask me in another year!

My daughter bailed from the online game MMO biz in Silly Valley 3 years ago. Too many hours, too much stress, salary would have been upper middle here, there they lived in an apartment. No regrets.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

LOL, good catch (sharp engineering eye!).

8 years.

All job titles have "Pay Bands" ...google it. If you are at the top of a pay band you are "Exposed" to market forces. Meaning as soon as they find someone cheaper than you they may dump you. As long as you are not overly exposed the next thing i would evaluate is the stress level. Some jobs just arent worth the stress involved to you health.

I had to write it down, but followed it.

Go B here. At "200k", 14% is a lot. The time invested in "A" isn't worth saving and good people are leaving anyway. Plus the financial benefits available will make up for the mediocre medical.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

LOL, good catch (sharp engineering eye!).

8 years.

Yeah, that was a good line. Sounds like the title to a book or a movie although the only one that comes to mind is Tears of the Sun. The job of 8 Tears? Chapter 1, tear 1...

Thanks for all the advice. More details:

Pay band: I'm maxed out in A (overpaid despite getting in with a pay cut from Sweatshop C), which is why I initially go for an interview in B to check things out. B has to raise me to the next band because I'm already maxing out their original offer, and from my understanding that's their max level for most commoner, but they have one more level for the rock stars, most people don't get to that level ever unless they are rock stars.

Do I have time for a life? I'd say it would be about the same for both companies. A is known under resource but B is unknown (supposedly better) in work life balance and resource but need learning curve. I'll still have some time to study and break into new places in both places, but not to slack off. Most importantly I know A cannot afford to lay me off because people do not want to come, and B do have a reputation of layoff if market is doing bad. As a matter of fact about 1/4 of our team in A came from B due to pass layoff, and had no where else to go. That's a real concern if you are at B being overpriced and want to come back to A if things do not work out.

I was trying to break into some companies in our customers' industry this year, didn't make it. My original goal is to get in within 2-3 years while working at A. If I get in I'm hoping for a pay increase of 25% or more depends on how well I do. If I join B I may still do the same, but that'll just be another 10% increase with a lot of learning curve, so I may never find time to do it.

Last edited:
if you are making 200k a year then your basic financial needs are taken care of.

You should be deciding on other factors than a relatively small percentage swing in salary.

something even in the 10% range they can fudge by not giving you a raise or bonus in the next few years.

So jump based on opportunities interest or other factors but not necessarily because of single digit or low double digit salary.

Last edited:
Stay fast. Next downturn is around the corner and Apple is way more stable than Musk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back