Jeep Wrangler 2.0T Rental

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I'm in a Wrangler rental and this is my first time driving one with the 2.0T engine and it is impressive! I could hear the turbo under the hood but still popped the hood to confirm it wasn't the V6. It has a ton of low end power and no turbo lag. Also impressed with how comfortable the ride and seats are! I was cruising at 75 on the freeway and it was a lot quieter than you'd expect but was also surprisingly nice riding. Now the steering is another story, it required a little more correction and attention than I'm used to, and for that it isn't an effortless cruiser that will eat up miles on the highway, but for my 45 minute drive it was just fine.

A very fun vehicle, I can see why owners love them and why they sell for big money.

image_50419969.JPG

image_50459393.JPG

They did such a great job on the JL - it looks like such a better product (fit, finish) than the JK it replaced.

Only concern I have with the 2.0 is the coolant lines that run underneath. I'd be worried about ripping those off on a trail. Otherwise, it would be the powertrain of choice for me!

My neighbor really like his except when it rains. Apparently once the hard top is removed it will forever send drips into the cabin

The JL is an improvement over the JK, and the 2.0T is a good engine. With that said I can't say I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the couple I drove in, even compared to my 1998 TJ. I might be a bit biased, especially because my TJ isn't your run of the mill rusted out POS, it was a California garage queen, so everything is still pretty tight on it. The JL does have decent road manners for a Jeep, but for me it is hard to justify the price. I'm curious how well it will hold together in 5-6 years.

I wouldn't mind checking out a 2.0L crate engine. I'm sure I could find a way to mate it to granny low tranny. I used a GM 2.8L V6 bellhousing to mate the current Muncie SM420 to my trail Jeeps 2.5L AMC four popper.

Personally, not a fan of new Jeeps. The drivetrain's are cool but I think the interior would be ruined if it were left out in the rain one time.

It's definitely not a highway daily driver/long trip type of vehicle with a soft top. But with no doors or roof and a manual transmission it is a lot of fun on a nice day.

Oh I have no doubt. My buddy loves his. I just can’t tolerate the ride enough to enjoy the openness. Make my soft top a convertible sports car.

For some bizarre reason, Stellantis decided to ditch eTorque on the 2.0T and only keep it for the 3.6L on 2021 models.

I have driven both the 3.6 and 2.0 and wow was i impressed with the 2.0. It had fantastic power down low and was such a pleasure to drive. If i can recall the engine also took up less space. It’s definitely the engine I would want if i were to purchase one.

Imagine the 2.0T with the 4XE electric assist, then put it in a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022. It's gonna be popular!

They did such a great job on the JL - it looks like such a better product (fit, finish) than the JK it replaced.

Only concern I have with the 2.0 is the coolant lines that run underneath. I'd be worried about ripping those off on a trail. Otherwise, it would be the powertrain of choice for me!
I agree. The JK had that "chunky" mid 2000s quality and finish that didn't age well on a lot of vehicles and didn't really look good to begin with. The JL on the other hand seems so much better. I haven't driven one, but I have ridden in one and it really did seem like a well built vehicle especially for what it is. Granted a $40-50k Wrangler should be pretty freaking nice.

All these new small turbo engines.
What's the turbo life ?
Oil life ?
Engine life ?
I'm an old v8 fan but will need something one day.

I have to say they are nice. Drove a few at work. I can’t say I’d own one but I sure do like them though. Maybe if they gave me a real key… LOL.

Back