Jeep Grand Cherokee

I just delivery of a new JGCL 3.6. today.... I noticed its now 0w 20 vs 5w 20 in the older penstar engines.....when did FCA change it. I was told that they think it has syn Penzoil from the factory.....If true I will stay with the Pennzoil syn if thats what they come with?

Very recently, the change that is, but I ran 0w-20 in ours when we had it. Pennzoil Platinum is a good oil, if you can get it at a reasonable price and it is readily available I see no reason not to stick with it.

FCA does factory-fill their engines with Pennzoil, even the SRT engines. The SRT's use 0w-40, however. Requiring 0w-20 is probably FCA enforcing that all their engines should be using synthetic since all 0w-20 oils are synthetic.

Exactly. I'd be using 5w-30, the original specification. No documented oiling changes since it was introduced. The PUG modification is the intake.
Everyone say no changes made but there was one big change. The oil change interval went up from 8k to 10k as well as programming change to OLM. Does that mean 5w20 has a better base well Chrysler seems to think that by there actions. Also one change I forgotten was the change on newer V6 went to 5qt down from 6qt.

Last edited:
I just delivery of a new JGCL 3.6. today.... I noticed its now 0w 20 vs 5w 20 in the older penstar engines.....when did FCA change it. I was told that they think it has syn Penzoil from the factory.....If true I will stay with the Pennzoil syn if thats what they come with?

Pennzoil Professional MS 0W-20

According to Shell it's relabeled Quaker State Full Synthetic SP GF-6 (ie recent name change from Ultimate Durability).

A post exist somewhere on this forum with a link to information on Shell's SP GF-6 changes including information on this oil.

Sorry I can't find it to link.

Anyone with stronger Google-foo?

Last edited:
Back