Jeep goes McIntosh

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
1610344674670.png

UConnect 5 on the new Grand Cherokee "L", with audio provided by McIntosh (previously it has been HK, that's what's in my SRT):
Jeep said:

McIntosh® MX950 Entertainment System​

This state-of-the-art system, created by the renowned luxury home audio company McIntosh®, is now available for the first time in a full-size SUV. Turn your cabin into a concert hall with a 17-channel amplifier delivering up to 950 watts of power, 19 custom-designed speakers and a 10-inch subwoofer.

My first thought was what a ridiculous thing to display in an auto.
A similar sticker on the dash would have more utility - it could be removed and used as duck tape.
They are literally just pushing your internal nostalgia buttons as though 5 minutes of coding equals past quality.
A new high in American gullibility, I'll bet >$3500 option.

Last edited:
Very nice.. I remember going to Subaru showroom years ago and I think it was the premium stereo in the legacy had McIntosh

Hopefully they let McIntosh do their thing. I was highly HIGHLY underwhelmed by the Alpine system in my Durango, ridiculous subwoofer programming bug included.

Used to be fun in the 90s upgrading car audio systems. Glad I didn’t make it my life path. Crazy how good stock systems are now days.
70s & 80s ... :whistle:
Yeah, used to be fun and its impossible to beat some of these systems now, it used to be easy with almost anything and there was a HUGE variety of choices as well as most stuff almost universal fit.

That’s sweet !
One of my regrets was passing over an old tube style Mac amp many moons ago …
My niece was selling her late dad’s stuff and that is not one of the things I bought …

Hopefully they let McIntosh do their thing. I was highly HIGHLY underwhelmed by the Alpine system in my Durango, ridiculous subwoofer programming bug included.
Yeah … I know some will not agree, but I think our bose system sounds nicer than the alpine … but it’s in a better insulated SUV …

I'm all for some nice VU meters, but in a car? As if the driver needed yet another distraction... :)
Got to give you some props and recognition for knowing that VU meters are.

Our Sanyo tape deck (1975? 1978? 1980? I forget) had amber lighted VU meters. The Technics had digital, blue DB meters :)

EDIT: With the trend towards actual SCREENS in the car.. Is there maybe a Virtual VU meter app or something?

Never seen McIntosh in a car... I would be that guy with the old school ALPINE in a Ferrari poster on the wall.

EDIT: With the trend towards actual SCREENS in the car.. Is there maybe a Virtual VU meter app or something?
Yes, obviously these are just graphics on the screen, aka one of probably many different screen savers/layouts, but still, I found it a bit comical. I suppose it looks nice in marketing literature as McIntosh VU meters are very well recognized.

I have them in Foobar...

CjQatkkl.png

Last edited:
Back