Jeep (Chrysler) 2.4L I4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading several threads where engines spec'd for xxW30 were being run with xxW40 with good results, usually the Jeep 4.0 inline six.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with a 40 weight oil in the Jeep 2.4L four banger? Same engine was found in Plymouth Breeze/Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus.

Thanks all for the input.

I don't think they used the 2.5l AMC in the breeze/stratus/cirrus. If i'm right they used the dodge 2.5l, different engine altogether.

Originally Posted By: Knox
I don't think they used the 2.5l AMC in the breeze/stratus/cirrus. If i'm right they used the dodge 2.5l, different engine altogether.

He's referring to the Chrysler PowerTech 2.4, not the AMC 2.5.

There are a few UOA's from this engine posted here, and they do really well on the XW-20 they are spec'd to run on.

Thick oil not needed in this engine at all - miles and miles apart from the Jeep 4.0 I-6 and 2.5L I-4.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Been reading several threads where engines spec'd for xxW30 were being run with xxW40 with good results, usually the Jeep 4.0 inline six.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with a 40 weight oil in the Jeep 2.4L four banger? Same engine was found in Plymouth Breeze/Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Cirrus.

Thanks all for the input.

First off... what model Jeep are we talking here??? When Jeep became part of Chrysler, they kept the Jeep 2.5L pushrod 4 (related to the 4.0L six) and ditched the Chrysler-designed SOHC 2.5L that was being used in the Dakota. They kept the SOHC 2.5 in the Cloud cars until it was replaced by the Chrysler DOHC 2.4L, which was later used in the PT Cruiser, but I don't *think* was ever put in a Jeep of any sort (not 100% sure on that).

That said...

I've got a fill of M1 0w40 in Wifey's PT Cruiser right now. Butt dyno and ear-o-scopes don't show much difference between that and the M1 0w30 AFE that I ran prior, but then they shouldn't, really (and I don't put any confidence in people saying an engine "feels" or "sounds" better on one oil vs. another). I'll let you know in 6 months or so when we rack up enough time for a UOA, but I really don't expect much difference, it did fantastic on the 0w30AFE.

FWIW, I wouldn't consider running a 5w40 HDEO in this engine like I do in the Jeep 4.0, it just shouldn't need it. The M1 0w40 is a thinnish 40 wt whereas HDEO 5w40s are more near the mean thickness of 40 weights.

Now....

If you're talking about the JEEP designed PUSHROD 2.5L engine, then it should love a 5w40 HDEO just as much as the 4.0 does- its the same architecture just with 2 fewer cylinders and a shorter stroke.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The 2.4 is a double overhead cam engine.It needs to stay with xw30.

Uuummm...no it doesn't.

LOTS of DOHC engines do just fine on Xw-20...sticking with what the manufacturer recommends on a new vehicle is a good place to start.

Check the recommendations on top of the oil filler cap and owners manual.

If I am not badly mistaken this engine is called the Global Engine and was developed by Chrysler back when Mercedes-Benz owned them along with Hyundai/KIA and Mitsubishi. As I recall the bottom end of the engine was mainly designed by Hyundai/KIA and the 2.4 liter was designed for use by several different companies. The top end varies depending on company - application.

Wife has that engine in her Hyundai and it has had nothing but 5W20 in it once the factory fill was changed.

Live just a few miles from the Florida line and we experience long hot summers here. No problems with running 5W20. Oil filler cap has 5W20 stamped on it.

They will run on pretty much any 30 or 40wt. Just make sure to keep up on your timing belt maintenance. They are very prone to timing belt failure.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
They kept the SOHC 2.5 in the Cloud cars until it was replaced by the Chrysler DOHC 2.4L, which was later used in the PT Cruiser, but I don't *think* was ever put in a Jeep of any sort (not 100% sure on that).

The 2.4 replaced the 2.5 in the TJ in 2003. It was also available in the Liberty, Compass, and Patriot.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Chris142
The 2.4 is a double overhead cam engine.It needs to stay with xw30.

Uuummm...no it doesn't.

LOTS of DOHC engines do just fine on Xw-20...sticking with what the manufacturer recommends on a new vehicle is a good place to start.
I guess I should have been more specific. I feel that a xxw40 is too thick and I have never seen a 2.4L with 5w20 recomended on the filler cap. Those cars are still too new to be rolling in my door.

I have yet to see a Jeep with this engine but I see plenty of PT's and they all have had 5w30 on the fill cap and that 5w30 on the PT fill cap is what I was basing my answer on.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
If I am not badly mistaken this engine is called the Global Engine and was developed by Chrysler back when Mercedes-Benz owned them along with Hyundai/KIA and Mitsubishi. As I recall the bottom end of the engine was mainly designed by Hyundai/KIA and the 2.4 liter was designed for use by several different companies. The top end varies depending on company - application.

you are mistaken! the engine you are talking about has a timing chain, and is manufactured by gema
link:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html
the motor the original poster is talking about is a variant on the 2.0L neon motor and is belt driven.
link:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
They kept the SOHC 2.5 in the Cloud cars until it was replaced by the Chrysler DOHC 2.4L, which was later used in the PT Cruiser, but I don't *think* was ever put in a Jeep of any sort (not 100% sure on that).

The 2.4 replaced the 2.5 in the TJ in 2003. It was also available in the Liberty, Compass, and Patriot.

the 2.4L in the wrangler/liberty is different than the 2.4L in the compass patriot

The 2.4 in my wife's 2007 Compass is the world engine with timing chain. It has the 5-20 stamped on the oil cap.

The owner's manual for my PT Cruiser recommends 10W30 from 0° up and 5W30 under 100°F.

My PT Cruiser has had 5W30 in it from 10° to 111°F. Been using exclusively 5W30. Works real well. But I do have the A855 H.O. turbo, so not all the internals are the same as the Power-Tech.

cpayne5 and Chris142 are correct, this is the 2.4 Power Tech I4. Jeep Wrangler, details in signature for those that missed it.

I do realize that the 2.5L engine was used for several years and is very different; I had one in my '97 Wrangler.

aussiek2000: Timing belt replaced on schedule. It's not a completely interference free engine, so breaking a timing belt is not an option.

Thanks for all the info everyone. To sum up: 2.5L used in Jeeps through 2002, replaced by 2.4L Power Tech, which was in turn replaced by the 2.4L World engine around '08.

I agree....too many engines.
eek.gif

We'll be sticking to the 5 or 0w30. Thanks again--

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: cpayne5

the 2.4L in the wrangler/liberty is different than the 2.4L in the compass patriot

You are correct. My mistake.

Chris142, you're right - older versions of this engione called for a 30-weight oil. The brand-new ones run 20-weight.

...and I agree with you and the OP: if I were running a 2.4 in something as large/heavy as a Wrangler, I'd be running a 30-weight, preferable something like a HDEO 10W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back