Catering oil choice to be piston skirt friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange how that works isn't it?

I've not found anything yet in this Jeep that can beat PYB in general for lack of noise, but the 5w30 still beats the higher grades I've tried.

I just need to run the 5w30 and get an UOA so I can put my worries to rest. It is mighty HOT here 3-4 months a year.

The 5w30/10w40 blend suggestion was a good idea as well, in fact what I would have done this time around but I have a good bit of PYB 10w30 from the Kmart clearance hah hah.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: lexus114
If the PYB 5W-30 works for you...Use it.

Sage advice right there, I've not found anything that seems to work as well even though I've spent a lot of time looking for another silver bullet (typical BITOG'er hah hah). Frankly I'm afraid of the 5w30 during the hot months, Chrysler spec'd 10w30 as the preferred lube for this engine I'm sure due to shear concerns and I have the same worries.

Anyway that's the reason for the heavier PYB blend I'm running now but even that is not as quiet as the 5w30 was. Maybe I'll try a short OCI and a UOA on the 5w30 to see how it goes.

Funny you say yours was quietest on the 5w30 PYB. That is the case with my 4.0 as well. I'm currently running 10w30 and it isn't as quiet as the 5w30. I ran 5w30 over the winter and my buddy who also owns a 4.0L said my jeep sounded quieter. I will probably go back to the 5w30 next change.

I dont think it`s going to hurt anything. Especially being that quiet. If you had valve train noise or something, then I`d be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back