Engines prone to oil sludging

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bottom Line:

Reliability:

Honda -- now the new #1..no sludge engines
Toyota---- dropped kicked to #2.. 2 engines (I4 *and* V6..ouch)

Here is one happy Honda V6 owner with no worries of engine sludge, tranny or any other issues!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
The Bottom Line:

Reliability:

Here is one happy Honda V6 owner with no worries of engine sludge, tranny or any other issues!!

Ummm, we've seen some pictures of some VERY crudded up Honda engines on here, even in the very short time I've been a member. Honda's are not immune to failure, just like any other auto manufacturer. Neglect can and WILL lead to all kinds of fun things, such as sludge and deposit build-up which cannot be "engineered out" of an engine's design.

I've bore witness to a number of absolutely awful Honda engines in person, all of which have had similarly spotty maintenance histories to them like the 302 I posted pictures of.

Remember, there were no Ford engines in that list either. The discussion that brought forth the Windsor engines (that I posted pictures of) was one that was brought up by another member and NOT part of the original post.

I'm glad my 350 Rocket I pulled from the junkyard look like the 2nd and 3rd picture. I don't know who the previous owner was but I'd thank them if I could. I haven't seen sludge in any of my engines, just lucky enough that they were all maintained well before I got them.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
The Bottom Line:

Reliability:

LOL@ no problems with Honda transmissions.

What's wrong with recent Honda transmissions? Besides the 3rd gear issues with the 6-spd MT, notchy shifting on the 5-spd MT, and the generally fragile AT's, that is.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's unfortunate. We've had nothing but great luck with ours. Our first Expy I think had 3.73's. This new one I believe has 3.27's. Pretty big difference. The first one may even have had 4.11's.

The Chev's I'm taking about would have had the equivalent of 3.08's or something in the back. NOT good gears for towing AT ALL. A good friend of mine is a manager of a trailer park and one of the work trucks is a '98 Vortec 1500 with a 305. Thing has LOTS of jammo in the upper RPM range, but it's geared to be a highway truck and you put ANY weight behind it and it's an absolute dog.

That '98 of yours would have towed VERY well given the gearing.

If that F-250 is the 6.0L (which it sounds like it is) then I understand. Ford dropped the ball on that one. They have been a real headache for Ford which is why apparently they are working on a new in-house diesel from Ford Germany to replace the International motors they are currently using. The VT365 is apparently a good motor in International trim, but when the programming was changed (by Ford) for use in a pickup, things did not go well. It's strange, but some of the trucks of this series are problem-free, while others are plagued with issues.

In contrast, the old DT444 (7.3L) was often regarded as bulletproof, whereas the GM diesels of the era were garbage.

And then there's the Cummins in the Dodge
wink.gif

Off-topic, but I was at the truck and tractor pulls yesterday. It was interesting the turn-out.

First class was gas trucks. There were a LOT of Chevies, at least 3/4 of the field. There were two Ford's, a 1983 long-box crew cab, and a 1981 F-250 4x4 short-box flairside with, from what I understand, a 460 in it. There were also two Dodges, one of the newer body style, and an old girl with a built smallblock that developed some problems and was losing several litres of oil per run.

1st place, with a full pull under it's belt was the '81 F-250 shortbox. Thing was a monster.

2nd place was a yellow 1983 Chevy regular cab, it worked VERY well. Unfortunately, it grenaded in the "pull-off" with the F-250, something made a HUGE bang, and then the starter dropped off into the wheel well and they were picking up large chunks of bellhousing and block off the track as well as the entire flexplate. I'm not sure what let go.

3rd place was the 1983 Ford, and 4th, 5th and 6th were Chevies. The Dodges didn't place, and neither did the two Toyotas that entered, one being a new (2008) Tundra, another a 98 Tundra.

Then we get to Diesel.

There were three Fords and the rest were all Dodges; not a single GM truck.

1st place went to a black regular cab 4x4 Dodge.
2nd place went to a white F-250 4x4 extenda-cab long-box. This was somebody's work truck.

Both trucks made a number of full pulls but the F-250 got major wheel-hop in the pull-offs and had to let off, losing by a couple of feet.

3rd was another Dodge, 4th was some random Harley Davidson F-350 dually, 4th was a Dodge dually....etc.

I was surprised not to see a single Duramax.

Today they are having the mud bogs. A couple of buddies of mine are trailering in their Toyota field truck for fun
wink.gif
I'm waiting to hear how it does! LOL!

That sounds like alot of fun. A friend of mine has a dodge with the cummins that he has setup to pull with. Everything is upgraded on it. On the dyno it made something like 650hp and 1200 ft/lbs of torque. I have been meaning to go watch one day but most of the pulls he goes to is over an hour away.

Here is our current expedition. I know somebody would think i was full of it when i say we had all these problems with fords so i figured i would post a picture of what we have now. This one has electrical gremlins that nobody can figure out. They even had a ford engineer come in to try and find it and he had no luck. It will kick itself into 4X4 for no reason every once in a while. The auto dimming rear view stays dim all the time. Once in a while when sitting at a light the truck will try to go on its own and you have to hold the brake hard to keep it from going. I think it is possesed.

fcac215b.jpg

We can sludge any engine we want to. People bash the 4.7 Mopar as being a sludge monster. People say some toyota's are aludge villians. Each person is going to run his or her own driving style miles and vehicle objective, farm use, daily long trips to work, or the one mile and back trip to work in 5 degree weather. Or the vehicles like some of mine that see short trips in hot and cold weather. Not all people have the common sense as we do on this forum to check the oil weekly or even daily like I do. Not everyone crawls under their cars and looks for leaks or do they realize that the atf or rear end gear oil has to be changed before the differential explodes. If the ford motor picture from above the guy may have ran 1000 miles in a year and never changed the oil while doing stop and go driving or pulling hay wagons or silage wagons. How about those Toyota sludge that the people never looked into the valve cover at the start of issues. They probably did not even open the hood in 9000 miles and then wow they have sludge. Everyone has different run applications and has to realize that cars will sludge and do bad things if the owner does not adjust for it. I have owned all makes of light duty pickup's and they all have had their issues. You have to adjust and go with it. Long drain issue with synthetics are fine if you are doing highway miles and your motor reaches full temperature. But if you drive short trips then realize it is harder on the transmission and the motor in the way of deposits whether and high or low temperatures. I know how I am going to run my vehicles and adjust my oci accordingly. If you adjust to your conditions with all the care your vehicle needs then regular Walmart Supertech motor oil will work just as good as a synthetic would in very short hard use. In this day and age people will have to learn more about their vehicles and not whine and blame said manufacturer when something blows. End of rant.

Does anyone know if they fixed the Chrysler 2.7 after 2002, as the list implies. Or, is this just outdated information from Consumer reports. Thanks.

To the OP, thanks for posting this info.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
That's unfortunate. We've had nothing but great luck with ours. Our first Expy I think had 3.73's. This new one I believe has 3.27's. Pretty big difference. The first one may even have had 4.11's.

The Chev's I'm taking about would have had the equivalent of 3.08's or something in the back. NOT good gears for towing AT ALL. A good friend of mine is a manager of a trailer park and one of the work trucks is a '98 Vortec 1500 with a 305. Thing has LOTS of jammo in the upper RPM range, but it's geared to be a highway truck and you put ANY weight behind it and it's an absolute dog.

That '98 of yours would have towed VERY well given the gearing.

If that F-250 is the 6.0L (which it sounds like it is) then I understand. Ford dropped the ball on that one. They have been a real headache for Ford which is why apparently they are working on a new in-house diesel from Ford Germany to replace the International motors they are currently using. The VT365 is apparently a good motor in International trim, but when the programming was changed (by Ford) for use in a pickup, things did not go well. It's strange, but some of the trucks of this series are problem-free, while others are plagued with issues.

In contrast, the old DT444 (7.3L) was often regarded as bulletproof, whereas the GM diesels of the era were garbage.

And then there's the Cummins in the Dodge
wink.gif

Off-topic, but I was at the truck and tractor pulls yesterday. It was interesting the turn-out.

First class was gas trucks. There were a LOT of Chevies, at least 3/4 of the field. There were two Ford's, a 1983 long-box crew cab, and a 1981 F-250 4x4 short-box flairside with, from what I understand, a 460 in it. There were also two Dodges, one of the newer body style, and an old girl with a built smallblock that developed some problems and was losing several litres of oil per run.

1st place, with a full pull under it's belt was the '81 F-250 shortbox. Thing was a monster.

2nd place was a yellow 1983 Chevy regular cab, it worked VERY well. Unfortunately, it grenaded in the "pull-off" with the F-250, something made a HUGE bang, and then the starter dropped off into the wheel well and they were picking up large chunks of bellhousing and block off the track as well as the entire flexplate. I'm not sure what let go.

3rd place was the 1983 Ford, and 4th, 5th and 6th were Chevies. The Dodges didn't place, and neither did the two Toyotas that entered, one being a new (2008) Tundra, another a 98 Tundra.

Then we get to Diesel.

There were three Fords and the rest were all Dodges; not a single GM truck.

1st place went to a black regular cab 4x4 Dodge.
2nd place went to a white F-250 4x4 extenda-cab long-box. This was somebody's work truck.

Both trucks made a number of full pulls but the F-250 got major wheel-hop in the pull-offs and had to let off, losing by a couple of feet.

3rd was another Dodge, 4th was some random Harley Davidson F-350 dually, 4th was a Dodge dually....etc.

I was surprised not to see a single Duramax.

Today they are having the mud bogs. A couple of buddies of mine are trailering in their Toyota field truck for fun
wink.gif
I'm waiting to hear how it does! LOL!

That sounds like alot of fun. A friend of mine has a dodge with the cummins that he has setup to pull with. Everything is upgraded on it. On the dyno it made something like 650hp and 1200 ft/lbs of torque. I have been meaning to go watch one day but most of the pulls he goes to is over an hour away.

Here is our current expedition. I know somebody would think i was full of it when i say we had all these problems with fords so i figured i would post a picture of what we have now. This one has electrical gremlins that nobody can figure out. They even had a ford engineer come in to try and find it and he had no luck. It will kick itself into 4X4 for no reason every once in a while. The auto dimming rear view stays dim all the time. Once in a while when sitting at a light the truck will try to go on its own and you have to hold the brake hard to keep it from going. I think it is possesed.

fcac215b.jpg

Sharp looking truck, it's a shame about the problems
frown.gif

Both of ours have been white Eddie Bauer models with the tan interior. Other than abysmal gas mileage on the first one, they have both been problem-free.

By the way, I guess the mud bog sucked. NOBODY got stuck!!!

Well Toyota continued to use that engine in the Siena minivan as well. Toyota fixed most of the issues that led to the sludgeing and continued to make and use that engine. The 1MZ has been around for a long time but only had a problem for a short time and in limited vechiles. For example the casting for the trucks was completely different casting and did not suffer the sludge issues. Instead in the late 1980's until the mid 1990's those 1MZ's used int he trucks had head gasket issues off and on while the car's and mini-vans never had that issue even though it was the 1MZ engine different casting so different problems.

Most of these issues above where issues that should never have happened if not for over confidence. Someone in one department say emissions made some minor changes and their boss desided that it was such a mionor thing no need to re-validate the engine. SOmeone else made a change to the head's coolant flow but again minor change no need to re-validate since that engine is bullet proof design. This continued and these little changes like moveing tha catalytic converter directly in front of the timeing cover on the Dodge 2.7V6 and Audi1.8 and they had profound effects in the long run. So in most case's any single issue would have been surviveable but when you stacked all together it was just too much for the oil and oil intervals used in USA! If these companies had revalidated they would have found these problems but in all cases it was over confidence.So it happens!

Hey John, I just purchased 6 quarts of 5-40 Rotella synthetic at Walmart this morning. It is going into my 06 Durango with the 4.7 v-8. I love this motor, it is so smooth and has good power. Driven steady an the highway I have reached 20 mph at 55 mph. Now around town look at 12 mpg at best. I think this oil will work great. Plan to run for 6 months and whatever miles develop. I know there will be several short trips Just wanted you to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back