Japan taking over the motorcycle industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
80,000+ on my wife's "metric"...never had a valve clearance check, on its original cam tensioners. No primary chain to futz with, no drive belt to worry about...just put gas in and ride, and change the oil every 5K.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
No, he can't prove it, there are no facts and figures, sure, sooner or later a tensioner will have to be replaced. It's a wearable part but not anywhere near the required maintenance of doing valve checks on a metric.
The valve checks are provable one just needs to look in the service manuals of the bikes. Again a maintainance item that will cost more time and/or money over the life of the bike then replacing a tensioner every 50,75 or 100 k miles.
I'm sure many more bikes have been damaged by burnt valves then tensioner failures, but, not prove able either.

For the most part, valve adjustments on metrics aren't even necessary...I've owned at least a dozen metric bikes over several decades (including a '79 CBX) and have never done a valve adjustment on any of them and I've never had a problem with any of them...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: dr2152
You pick Harley so called facts that are 10-15 years old. (Cam tensioner) I wrote about a bike I own. My CBR would have to be adjusted every year vs the Harley. Those are facts. The new CB1100 is every 8000 miles. So in 46 years Honda has went from 4000 to 8000 miles on valve adjustment on the straight four. I love the new CB1100. But it is high maintenance. No one can dispute your Harley facts because they are not real.

Sorry, but you're wrong again. These problems exist even with the newer Harleys.

Got something to prove this? It was 1999 to 2006. My 04 was fine at 60k. They was still good last year when the new owner checked them.

Sure, just keep riding your Harley without doing anything to the chain tensioner and when the engine grenades, you'll know what we're talking about...

Translation: No I made it up.

No, he can't prove it, there are no facts and figures, sure, sooner or later a tensioner will have to be replaced. It's a wearable part but not anywhere near the required maintenance of doing valve checks on a metric.
The valve checks are provable one just needs to look in the service manuals of the bikes. Again a maintainance item that will cost more time and/or money over the life of the bike then replacing a tensioner every 50,75 or 100 k miles.
I'm sure many more bikes have been damaged by burnt valves then tensioner failures, but, not prove able either.

For the most part, valve adjustments on metrics aren't even necessary...I've owned at least a dozen metric bikes over several decades (including a '79 CBX) and have never done a valve adjustment on any of them and I've never had a problem with any of them...

I bet people line up to buy your bikes once they find out you don't believe in doing the maintenance. I replaced 4 shims last fall on the CBX. You would have just ridden until a valve burnt?

Last edited:

Keep your blinders on, whatever makes you happy...

Keep your blinders on, whatever makes you happy...

Blinder you? Who would believe it?

I bet people line up to buy your bikes once they find out you don't believe in doing the maintenance. I replaced 4 shims last fall on the CBX. You would have just ridden until a valve burnt?

Actually, I can't say I'd be surprised if he was fine ...many bikes hold valve clearance for vastly longer than the check interval. A 650 Burgman needing no adjustment at 35-40,000 miles is normal. In 15,000 miles, my wife's old Suzuki never needed adjustment.

I didn't say they were never checked, I said I never had to adjust them, big difference...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
02SE said:
dr2152 said:
Well, according to the shop manual I have for the CBX, the valve clearance inspection interval was every 3750 miles. According to friends that have been M/C Techs for years, they held their clearance pretty well.

But, the CBX also came out 37 years ago. Valve clearance inspection intervals have increased dramatically since then. Even at the extended VCI intervals common today, the need to actually adjust the valve clearance is rare.

True, Valve check intervals have been greatly extended on most but not all bikes by any means in the metric market. Dealers and others will say things like you dont have to do the factory required 600 mile check, then after that, some might say, just check at 8,000 miles and your good to go for X amount of miles.
Thing is, your making a decision to ignore what the engine maker requires. If one is good with that, that is fine but there is a reason and the reason is, a few engines will be greatly out of spec and burn an exhaust valve, if the check isnt done, the maker can blame you for not doing it.
I personally dont think its a big deal but I stick to the manual and I am VERY relieved I no longer have to do valve checks.

I'm well aware of the manufacturers recommendations. I have several M/C Tech friends that work on bikes for a living, and I've built and/or worked on quite a few M/C engines myself. In most cases, the so-called Metric bikes will have a 16k inspection interval, Yamaha specs a 26k VCI interval on some of it's sportbikes.

Yes, I do recommend to those that ask, that they follow the manufacturers service schedule, and at least check the valve clearances.

The M/C engine I have the most experience with, is the GSX1300R. From experience with my own bike, to those engines I've worked on, to the experience of numerous friends that work on bikes for a living, or as a hobby, they rarely need any adjustment.

A buddy has 160k on his lightly-modded commuter/canyon-riding GSX1300R. He has checked the valve clearances every time it's recommended by the mileage. So far, they have never needed adjustment. Other than tires, brake pads, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, and air filters, (all normal consumables) the engine and trans and clutch are as it left the factory. Recently he checked the compression, and it's still on the high side of the spec. and even between cylinders.

My point is, metallurgy and manufacturer tolerances have improved dramatically since the 70's when the CBX was designed.

BTW, I've owned an FLHTCUI. So I'm not a Harley hater. I think they are fine for their intended purpose.

I just wanted to point out that no modern well-made streetbike has a valve inspection interval of 2k miles.

EXACTLY, you choose to not do required maintainance. That's fine, some others choose not to and have problems, not to,mention if under warranty. Hey you know what?. Tens of thousands of Harley's never had a engine blow up because of a chain tensioner failure.

02SE said:
dr2152 said:
Well, according to the shop manual I have for the CBX, the valve clearance inspection interval was every 3750 miles. According to friends that have been M/C Techs for years, they held their clearance pretty well.

But, the CBX also came out 37 years ago. Valve clearance inspection intervals have increased dramatically since then. Even at the extended VCI intervals common today, the need to actually adjust the valve clearance is rare.

True, Valve check intervals have been greatly extended on most but not all bikes by any means in the metric market. Dealers and others will say things like you dont have to do the factory required 600 mile check, then after that, some might say, just check at 8,000 miles and your good to go for X amount of miles.
Thing is, your making a decision to ignore what the engine maker requires. If one is good with that, that is fine but there is a reason and the reason is, a few engines will be greatly out of spec and burn an exhaust valve, if the check isnt done, the maker can blame you for not doing it.
I personally dont think its a big deal but I stick to the manual and I am VERY relieved I no longer have to do valve checks.

I'm well aware of the manufacturers recommendations. I have several M/C Tech friends that work on bikes for a living, and I've built and/or worked on quite a few M/C engines myself. In most cases, the so-called Metric bikes will have a 16k inspection interval, Yamaha specs a 26k VCI interval on some of it's sportbikes.

Yes, I do recommend to those that ask, that they follow the manufacturers service schedule, and at least check the valve clearances.

The M/C engine I have the most experience with, is the GSX1300R. From experience with my own bike, to those engines I've worked on, to the experience of numerous friends that work on bikes for a living, or as a hobby, they rarely need any adjustment.

A buddy has 160k on his lightly-modded commuter/canyon-riding GSX1300R. He has checked the valve clearances every time it's recommended by the mileage. So far, they have never needed adjustment. Other than tires, brake pads, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, and air filters, (all normal consumables) the engine and trans and clutch are as it left the factory. Recently he checked the compression, and it's still on the high side of the spec. and even between cylinders.

My point is, metallurgy and manufacturer tolerances have improved dramatically since the 70's when the CBX was designed.

BTW, I've owned an FLHTCUI. So I'm not a Harley hater. I think they are fine for their intended purpose.

I just wanted to point out that no modern well-made streetbike has a valve inspection interval of 2k miles.

Your right. Honda is now recommending 8k for the CB1100. That's a big change from 1969. Most do not need adjusted. But you need to check.

My 07 Suzuki c50 definitely needed an adjustment at 4000 miles required check. Exhaust was real tight.
Again, I don't disagree with you that new models have been greatly extended but I think a lot still call for that 600 mile check, then from there many call for 8000 to 16000. Still some less.
I also agree many get away with not doing it, I and many people in this forum on oils :eek:) do try to what is best for the bike, so it bothers me if I am ignoring something like a valve check and its a PITA to do but I did them.

You pick Harley so called facts that are 10-15 years old. (Cam tensioner) I wrote about a bike I own. My CBR would have to be adjusted every year vs the Harley. Those are facts. The new CB1100 is every 8000 miles. So in 46 years Honda has went from 4000 to 8000 miles on valve adjustment on the straight four. I love the new CB1100. But it is high maintenance. No one can dispute your Harley facts because they are not real.

Sorry, but you're wrong again. These problems exist even with the newer Harleys.

Got something to prove this? It was 1999 to 2006. My 04 was fine at 60k. They was still good last year when the new owner checked them.

Sure, just keep riding your Harley without doing anything to the chain tensioner and when the engine grenades, you'll know what we're talking about...

Ok, I'll let you know when my tensioner fails and my engine blows up on my modern 14 road king with a hydraulic tensioner. It would be nice to know what percentage of bikes have this issue in relation to bikes that need valve checks and don't get them and have valves burn up.
Gosh these conversations are unreal....

Last edited:

EXACTLY, you choose to not do required maintainance. That's fine, some others choose not to and have problems, not to,mention if under warranty. Hey you know what?. Tens of thousands of Harley's never had a engine blow up because of a chain tensioner failure.

Apparently you didn't read my last post....

Last edited:
Ok, I'll let you know when my tensioner fails and my engine blows up on my modern 14 road king with a hydraulic tensioner. It would be nice to know what percentage of bikes have this issue in relation to bikes that need valve checks and don't get them and have valves burn up.

Next oil change: remove the cam cover and check the cam chain shoes. If the outer (visible) one is more than 1/4 through, they both need to be replaced! (The inner shoe, not visible, wears faster.) Also, when you do a UOA, look carefully for signs of particles of nylon in the oil. Note that this failure is NOT covered by the warranty!

There are various band-aids for the problem, but no real fix short of replacing the whole thing with cam gears...and even THAT isn't a sure fix, due to the engine layout.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Next oil change: remove the cam cover and check the cam chain shoes. If the outer (visible) one is more than 1/4 through, they both need to be replaced! (The inner shoe, not visible, wears faster.) Also, when you do a UOA, look carefully for signs of particles of nylon in the oil. Note that this failure is NOT covered by the warranty!

There are various band-aids for the problem, but no real fix short of replacing the whole thing with cam gears...and even THAT isn't a sure fix, due to the engine layout.

The inner shoe can be checked. You just need a mirror. A friend's 05 had wear on the out side but the inside was like new. It had 65k when we changed them. Checked a 09 with 90k and they were good. My 04 looked like new at 60k. It had 70k the last time I talked to the new owner. It was the chain that caused the problem of wear on the 99-06. Gears work great as long as you shim them correctly.

maybe HD use graphene strenghtened nylon hydraulic tensioner!nha
the guy said 20 000 miles so i suspect it is close to that .if you own a HD and the last hydraulic tensioner check was 20k might want to check it or make it check , but it would be nice to hear it here from HD engineer making the bike whats what or they should debunk those on YouTube

Have you looked up all the issues with your make bike on utube?

I will not be doing a tensioner inspection for at least 5 more years or 50 to 70,000 miles, not required by HD. If I still own the bike that is and if I do, it will be out of curiosity. Reports over blown or HD would recommend and inspection.

However being I am a maintenance kind of person, when I do get to that 50 to 70,000 miles I will spend the hour it takes to take a look at them and change the primary oil while I am at it.
Its a heck of A LOT easier to take a look at the tensioners then to do ANY valve check, valve checks required, tensioner not required but so easy to do, if you get caught up in forum [censored] and want to, its easy to do.
Me? Not concerned in the slightest and I REALLY mean not concerned in the slightest, only ones who seem to be are the ones who want to bash Harley.

and remarks about "blowing up the engine" another laughable comment when the leading consumer magazine in the United States of America, states major engine failures amount ALL manufacturers of motorcycles seem equally low. But some people, with their "blinders" on only know one thing, trash something they dont own. More so the most popular motorcycle company in the United States.
Make up ANY and ALL excuses why they are successful and discredit them and the reasons by saying the people who own them are brainwashed, I say, ignorant and if not ignorant, jealous..

Ps, I much rather have the chain then gears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back