Jacking up my pickup to do brakes

If you have ever seen a jack drop and see how fast and with such force, you will never trust a jack again. You don't get a 2nd chance.
I shudder at the things I used to do when I was young.
This is absolutely correct. I saw the rear end of a "lightweight" Honda Accord fall down when the jack screw stripped out on a factory jack, the thing went down with horrifying speed and force.

Chuck a jackstand under the lower control arm. If the jack fails the weight of the truck will get a soft landing thanks to the spring.

Now if you're saying, well the LCA isn't a certified spot, and if the jack fails I'll wreck my truck, see, now you're afraid of your jack failing!

If you have ever seen a jack drop and see how fast and with such force, you will never trust a jack again. You don't get a 2nd chance.
I shudder at the things I used to do when I was young.
Smoking a cigarette saved my life when I was about 14. After fooling with the starter on a '56 Dodge I had raised with a bumper jack, I crawled out from under. No sooner had I stood up when the jack slipped. Whoomp , the front end of that car, dropped like a mouse trap..

Smoking a cigarette saved my life when I was about 14. After fooling with the starter on a '56 Dodge I had raised with a bumper jack, I crawled out from under. No sooner had I stood up when the jack slipped. Whoomp , the front end of that car, dropped like a mouse trap..
Scary. I think about how someone who found me would feel. Safety first!

I have personal experience in this regard. When I was 12 or 13, I heard my neighbor who lived about a hundred yards down the road screaming his head off... I ran down there to find his firewood cribbing had slipped and his Ford Fairmont was crushing his shin. It probably felt like forever for him while he was waiting for me to run home and find a jack to get it off his leg.

I also have a cousin who came home to find her husband dead under his square body Chevy pickup as it slipped off the jack or blocks and crushed his chest. Getting under jacked up cars is nothing to mess around with.

I sold my HF ratchet jack stands as I did not trust them given the ones that were recalled awhile ago. Maybe get new ones that are pin based.

When lifting the truck by a jacking point I assume the jack stand needs to also go under the frame rather than the body. But not too many places to put jack stands with a floor jacks already in that area.

The body is a possibility for a jack stand but if the jack fails the axle will still drop. Rotor could crush your hand or foot if it was between the rotor and ground.
Put them under the front control arms or under the rear axle depending where you're working and let them down half on the jack and half on the jack stands.
Or you could even let it all the way down on the stands probably better to make sure it's good and stable fully dropped then if you wanted to you could put just a little bit of pressure on the jack.

Put them under the front control arms or under the rear axle depending where you're working and let them down half on the jack and half on the jack stands.
Or you could even let it all the way down on the stands probably better to make sure it's good and stable fully dropped then if you wanted to you could put just a little bit of pressure on the jack.
So there is only one good jacking point for each front side if working on the front. Where does the jack stand go? On the frame? If the jack lets go the front differential and suspension will drop several inches until its held by the frame. That won't be good if you are under there.

So an alternative is to jack the frame up enough so wheels are off the ground slightly, place the jack stand under frame, then move the jack to the jacking point. But unsure what sense that makes. Could just leave jack on the frame.

So there is only one good jacking point for each front side if working on the front.
Does the manual indicate anything? I know for both of my Camry's there is an indicated center jacking point (but IMO no good place for jackstands after that). Usually (always?) the rear pumpkin is ok to jack under, and I'd think for solid front axle would be the same, but not sure on modern stuff if there is "always" a center jacking point.

One thing I like about the 2016 Camry is that I can just ask my desktop ; How do I BLANK on a 2016 Camry? In a few seconds ican watch a You Tube video. showing me how to .. :cool:

One thing I like about the 2016 Camry is that I can just ask my desktop ; How do I BLANK on a 2016 Camry? In a few seconds ican watch a You Tube video. showing me how to .. :cool:
Well there are a lot of idiots on the internet. Good to watch but then you need to judge what was in the video and the person in the video. The person who seems a little dull and boring in a YT video probably knows the most.

Back