I've a torturous decision before me.

Work with a car stereo shop to put in a solar panel. Yeah they might find the drain too but it seems like it just needs amps flowing in.

My 08 Silverado is in a similar funk-- I only drive it 5 miles a week to the dump. And GM put in all sorts of retentive power features they thought I'd like, like leaving the backup lights on after I park it. The 95 F150 that preceded it had no such issues.
I’ve quite enjoyed the small pv panel screwed into the camper shell of my truck. I used a charge controller since it’s a decent sized panel at 50w. Truck is always eager to start. Battery is 6 years old.

To everyone who asked: The owner indeed does not drive enough.

While her '03 Camry didn't lose battery power during its time, this poor car is not driven.

Thanks again everybody.

.A 70ma drain is normal loss? Only car I've had with loss issues was, wait for it, my 528e. Normal drain was ~ 20ma and if the car sat more than 2weeks it would need a jump. Regardless, I'd do 2 things. First go higher up in Subaru. At the same time, have her find an auto/electric shop to permanently install a tender with a plug just out side of the hood. Now for your friend. Next is for her to find an outlet in her garage and maybe an extension cord. There's a limit to being "done" for. Gee Whizz!!

Subaru limits parasitic draw ("dark current") to 70mA. Assuming vehicle is under warranty - she can press on dealer to perform the parasitic current test per Subaru TSB 07-85-14.
Most vehicles have more like around 20 mA or less. At 70 mA most car batteries would be pretty low on charge. A draw of 70 mA for 2 weeks would be 23.5 AH, which is ~1/2 of a good sized battery capacity.

Back