Our beloved spouses and their vehicles

When I married my wife, she couldn’t remember the last time she changed her oil, I asked her months, even a years time-span… I was amazed, but not surprised.
Same thing. I asked my (future) wife and she said...what’s that? Car was bought new, it now had 14,000 miles on it. Conventional factory fill back in 1994.

Double base just reminded me of the time my wife was driving my spotless 98 Yukon. Those had chrome bumpers. Some jackass rear ended her and wrecked my bumper. At the time she was a VP for a bank and this dude was also some kind of white collar uselessness. She decided my truck looked ok and let him go. Some sort of professional courtesy I suppose.
She gets home and tells me about it all proud of herself that she diagnosed that it was fine. I said well, he owes me 400 bucks fora bumper. Do we have his information? Of course we didn’t.
She wonders to this day why I don’t like her driving my trucks.

How does he have a functioning 24 year old accord with that sort of ignorance?
That is funny. But I have a guess how. Its ALMOST impossible to kill Honda Accords or for that matter any modern day autos. Really, with the amazing new technology that goes for almost all new cars, they seem to run forever. Its hard to imagine why Chevrolet, who installed fuel injected motors in some 57 Chevys and Corvettes did not pursue that widely until the late 80s. I think it was the government along with CAFE standards that pushed all automakers to fuel injectors.

Anyone recall this.... There used to be full service gas stations (where we pumped the gas for you) on nearly every other corner. Lots of these stations had 2-3 services bays with signs out front saying (24 hour full service - Mechanic on Duty). Let me tell you. Everyone used to break down in those days. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. One of my observations of today's younger drivers is they do not even keep their vehicles long enough to need any type of repairs. Most of them lease everything and turn them in so quick.

An old girlfriend had a sticky throttle on her Celica, it would not go down past 1/2 when it was cold out. She would stomp on the pedal with a BANG to make it go down all the way, and she says it was "fine" for the day after that. I checked the linkage and could not see any issues, and sure enough on cold mornings it would not go past halfway without significant force. Pretty weird and it made me cringe but the car never faltered otherwise. This is the same girl who added gas and drove, never doing anything more for the car, never checking the oil, ever. I checked it one day and the level did not register on the dipstick, took nearly 3 quarts to bring it up to the F mark but the car still ran great. I have no idea how that car lived as long as it did.

Well, a friend's father told me his brakes were bad; they could barely stop the car. This was a late 90's Accord, maybe 2000. Very simple and long running, trouble free cars in my experience.

He had kicked and scrunched the floor mat behind the brake pedal... I drilled holes in the floor mat and zip tied it to the seat frame.
I'm a freakin' genius! Not to mention the easiest brake fix ever!

Well, a friend's father told me his brakes were bad; they could barely stop the car. This was a late 90's Accord, maybe 2000. Very simple and long running, trouble free cars in my experience.

He had kicked and scrunched the floor mat behind the brake pedal... I drilled holes in the floor mat and zip tied it to the seat frame.
I'm a freakin' genius! Not to mention the easiest brake fix ever!
Nice.

I really wish MY wife was hear to do silly things, which she rarely did,she passed away 1 year ago and I miss her every single day !!
I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine losing my wife, who really is wonderful*

*Nothing silly to report. She doesn’t check her oil, or tires, or fluids, because she knows I will do it. I’m happy to do it so that she doesn’t have to. She’s an incredible cook, brings me coffee and breakfast in the morning, makes great dinners nearly every night, takes care of the house, laundry, shopping, and dogs, stays up on the financial markets and makes investment decisions and works hard at her full time job. I get all that and all I have to do is check her old Volvo over every couple of weeks. I’m very lucky.

Well, saw this thread and thought I’d throw an update into it. Wife threw up inside her Mercedes. When she called to tell me she went home from work sick, didn’t make it home and threw up inside while driving I thought...couldn’t really be THAT BAD, could it? I mean, I figured...rolled down the window, pulled over, and as unfortunate as it is... got a little bit on the door panel.

But NO, not the case. Vomit all over the dash, center console, seat, floor and door panel (and don’t even know how or why she decided to face the door/window, I mean, was she just looking to finish the entire interior?).

She very casually says to me, yeah we‘ll have to hire someone to professionally clean it, because it’s not like I’m going to use it like that. Uhm, hello!!! I’m the “professional cleaner”! Who else is going to clean this thing??!!

So, I buy turtle wax disinfectant cleaner. That sure didn’t help. I ruined one shop vacuum. That thing is toast now. Completely ruined. I went through about 20 microfiber rags. A few toothbrushes that I used as crevice cleaners. About two boxes of baking soda. Still didn’t help. Then I borrowed an ozonater machine, and that thing not only worked, I thought it was going to kill me. Just one whiff of that thing while it was working??? Oh my lord!! Takes the life out of your lungs. Craziest thing I’ve experienced - well except for my wife throwing up all over the inside of her vehicle.😀😀

This thing is spotless now, I’m serious. Not a single trace of what happened. Nothing. Like it never happened. Then again, I’m sure after reading this people will avoid buying a used Mercedes off Facebook market place in a couple years in the New England area. Lol.

Well, saw this thread and thought I’d throw an update into it. Wife threw up inside her Mercedes. When she called to tell me she went home from work sick, didn’t make it home and threw up inside while driving I thought...couldn’t really be THAT BAD, could it? I mean, I figured...rolled down the window, pulled over, and as unfortunate as it is... got a little bit on the door panel.

But NO, not the case. Vomit all over the dash, center console, seat, floor and door panel (and don’t even know how or why she decided to face the door/window, I mean, was she just looking to finish the entire interior?).

She very casually says to me, yeah we‘ll have to hire someone to professionally clean it, because it’s not like I’m going to use it like that. Uhm, hello!!! I’m the “professional cleaner”! Who else is going to clean this thing??!!

So, I buy turtle wax disinfectant cleaner. That sure didn’t help. I ruined one shop vacuum. That thing is toast now. Completely ruined. I went through about 20 microfiber rags. A few toothbrushes that I used as crevice cleaners. About two boxes of baking soda. Still didn’t help. Then I borrowed an ozonater machine, and that thing not only worked, I thought it was going to kill me. Just one whiff of that thing while it was working??? Oh my lord!! Takes the life out of your lungs. Craziest thing I’ve experienced - well except for my wife throwing up all over the inside of her vehicle.😀😀

This thing is spotless now, I’m serious. Not a single trace of what happened. Nothing. Like it never happened. Then again, I’m sure after reading this people will avoid buying a used Mercedes off Facebook market place in a couple years in the New England area. Lol.
Uhhhggg! Sucks to be you!

At least my wife would have cleaned the mess herself - including pulling seats if necessary. But then, I'm not sure she would have hurled in the car to begin with 😂

My son violently threw up in the back of my SUV back in the day. It was a mixture of whole milk, eggs, pancakes and syrup. It turned into a cottage cheese like mortar that stuck to everything. Took me all weekend to get it out. Still don’t know how I didn’t puke myself while cleaning it.

My son violently threw up in the back of my SUV back in the day. It was a mixture of whole milk, eggs, pancakes and syrup. It turned into a cottage cheese like mortar that stuck to everything. Took me all weekend to get it out. Still don’t know how I didn’t puke myself while cleaning it.
We had been out for a family meal, at an all-you-can-eat Mongolian grill place. On the way home, our youngest vomited violently and without warning in the back of our minivan. The first casualty was the Harry Potter book he'd been reading; it could not be salvaged.

I cleaned up what I could, but ultimately had to remove the ridiculously heavy middle seat, rear seat, and carpet. Hosed them down in the driveway. Lots of work with a scrubby brush and soap.

Everything dried clean, and I got the van back together without drama. Drove it for another 10 years, with no evidence of the terrible thing that had occurred.

In retrospect, I'm so glad this didn't happen in the winter.

We had been out for a family meal, at an all-you-can-eat Mongolian grill place. On the way home, our youngest vomited violently and without warning in the back of our minivan. The first casualty was the Harry Potter book he'd been reading; it could not be salvaged.

I cleaned up what I could, but ultimately had to remove the ridiculously heavy middle seat, rear seat, and carpet. Hosed them down in the driveway. Lots of work with a scrubby brush and soap.

Everything dried clean, and I got the van back together without drama. Drove it for another 10 years, with no evidence of the terrible thing that had occurred.

In retrospect, I'm so glad this didn't happen in the winter.
When we purchased our hybrid van I was curious why the batteries were located underneath the front two seats with all the venting towards the outer sides. After this little convo I’m starting to think this was actually a smart move on the designers part.

Well good ole freak show that he is, he started yakking up chunks of half-digested particle board in my volvo, and his aim got it down the center console hole where the handbrake threaded through. Like other stories here, there are some nooks and crannies that just keep on going.

Luckily that car was perpetually drafty and the smell didn't really stick around.

Back