Regrettable dealership experience from someone who rarely complains

When I took our Element in for the airbag recall the dealer told me it needed a transmission oil change because "the fluid was dark". I had just changed it the week before, literally. I change it every 10K miles (every other engine OCI) so the fluid was bright red.

Scott
They have done that to me at least twice. Along with the "dirty air filter". I love pointing out their dishonesty to their face when I explain that I just completed those services.

If you run a service shop, and pay the service manager extra for upsells, then the service manager may very well push those upsells on anyone that he/she can even if it to the customer's detriment.

When I took our Element in for the airbag recall the dealer told me it needed a transmission oil change because "the fluid was dark". I had just changed it the week before, literally. I change it every 10K miles (every other engine OCI) so the fluid was bright red.

Scott

You may have the cleanest transmission on the planet! ⚙️:unsure:

I'm surprised they would be willing to use customer supplied oil at all. Most places in my area will not. Last dealership I was at did a 5 qt oil and filter change for $29.95 if you brought your own oil and filter it was $29.95 labor. Where I work now just declines customer parts jobs in general, a few exceptions are made for long time very good customers but even fleet companies who try to send their box of oil and a filter are told no.

I do agree that they should not have tried to upsell to their oil and convince her it was "better".
this is how it can go, sometimes dealers or oil change shops have what is called a conventional oil change for $29.95 using a semi-synthetic blend usually 5w20, and then try to upsell customers to a better Full synthetic 0w20 for $75-$80 for a 5k OCI and tell you its better for a higher mileage car:LOL:. This happened to me recently with a 2006 Honda accord, factory original fill was 5w20 blend, costs $25 with coupon at the Honda dealer for years, then along came the highly recommended better 0w20 full syn which is all they will use now at certain Honda dealers at over $75 plus, im looking to take it to a private shop to continue using the 5w20 blend is fine for about $30.

They have done that to me at least twice. Along with the "dirty air filter". I love pointing out their dishonesty to their face when I explain that I just completed those services.
So, I'm sitting in the office of quick change place to get INSPECTION sticker, and this worker shows the owner a slightly dirty air filter that "Needs Changing". I could see through it and would run another 20k. I'm picky about my car, but I know an air filter won't hurt engine when slightly dirty. It will never stay perfectly clean.

Obligatory weekly "Let's bash a dealer for" (insert reason here). Just another day on BITOG.
Bottom line is that these dealerships in general are almost all bad with a very few exceptions, I should know I worked in the service business at half a dozen stores for over 20 years and only ONE was decent. The rest were crooks, hacks, and scoundrels for the most part, and if you were an honest tech and called them out for their sketchy behavior, they would fire you before they changed their ways.