It's that time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine are Mopar wheels, the 5 spoke style used on the police cars. They are not perfect, one had a lot of crud from an over worn brake pad but most of that will come off with some scrubbing. As it's getting late in the season, I'll likely just run them as is this year and clean them up and give them a good coat of Plasti-Dip next year.

Steelies are nice. I got rid of the fake style wheels and put some nice steelies off a Mercury Marquee. I have center caps but kind of like the raw look of exposed lug nuts:
wheels_zps582873c6.jpg

I'll be getting there soon! Wish I could find steel wheels for the car. The problem is, if I found steel wheels for my Focus, I'd paint them white and run them in the summer!

Whenever I am looking for winter wheels I just head over to a local junkyard and see what's there. I have some beat up OE alloy wheels for the Focus. Can't fight with $60 for a set of wheels.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: supton
IMO they do manage to hide the ugly rotors and calipers too--I mean, eventually the calipers are no longer OEM shiny fresh, and my rotors were always nasty looking.

Yes they do. Earlier this year I painted my calipers and brackets with brush on BBQ Black Paint. Hoping that will keep the rust at bay. Also it sort of "hides" the caliper when my alloys are on and makes the whole wheel look decent. There is nothing more that I hate than a nice looking alloy and BAM seeing the rusty caliper.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Next time, come in the summer. It's beautiful here especially along the Lake Ontario, and the river running through the city in the evening is a nice site as well.

The wine region of W.NY is a nice place to visit also. Most folks think that were closer to NYC than we are but, it's about 7 hours drive. Niagara Falls is about 1.5 hours drive.

Yes it is beautiful. The four seasons are really nice (if you don't mind the cold). For me anyway, I would feel SO out of place without having snow or at least cold temperatures for Christmas. WNY is a completely different animal than NYC.

Haven't had a white Christmas in years
frown.gif
And I live in the snowiest city in the country!

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I have center caps but kind of like the raw look of exposed lug nuts:

Until they seize on... Probably a reason why the caps are there...

And axle nuts. Those things are a real pain!

My parents dont have exposed lug studs on their Focuscape's winter wheels, but the axle nuts are. I plastered them last year and this year with grease to keep them clean.

Last edited:
Looking at the weather, I'm going to try to be ballsy this year and see how long I can keep the summers on the Jeep. I'm gonna have to watch the weather carefully tonight and tomorrow as there's a chance of a little snow in Rochester, but beyond that, it looks like it's still going to be warm enough for another week or 2.

If I can ride out the rest of the month before swapping, I'll be thrilled as that'll save me from having to swap tires twice (summers to A/Ts and then to snows) or doing my Thanksgiving roadtrip on snows (which I'd rather avoid). I don't know if I'll make it that long before the weather goes to [censored] though.

Last edited:
Just like ARCO I'm going without TPMS and will have to deal with the TPMS light lit up on the dash and the inability to disable VSA/traction control.

I have thought about putting two TPMS in the winter wheels and two TPMS in the summer wheels and then live with the light all year round (so what?) but be able to disable VSA/traction control when needed.

Last edited:
Do the wheels have to be spinning to "charge" the sensors?

I am strongly considering buying a small tubeless trailer wheel and installing my TPMS valvestems on that wheel, then mounting it underneath the car. That would satisfy it.

Make a PVC "p i p e b o m b", with one end threaded, tap a schrader valve in it and put the sensors in there with some padding. Then pump up the tube to whatever pressure you need. Keep it in the trunk.

I'm not putting sensors in either.

My son thinks he may be able to disable the system at work though their scanner. Might also be the possibility that the system disables it self after so long without picking up the sensors.

I think this is a better idea than having a chime and message, on top of the constant light, each time the vehicle is started as my mother has in her Pontiac van.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Make a PVC "p i p e b o m b", with one end threaded, tap a schrader valve in it and put the sensors in there with some padding. Then pump up the tube to whatever pressure you need. Keep it in the trunk.

I thought about that ... but with my luck I would get pulled over and searched. Same concept with the trailer wheel ... just less likely to get searched by TSA

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I am strongly considering buying a small tubeless trailer wheel and installing my TPMS valvestems on that wheel, then mounting it underneath the car. That would satisfy it.

Yes, the sensors need to be spinning to give the car's computer the reading.

CP3 - You talking about a Honda vehicle to disable the system?

I saw a Pontiac Montana driving today with all four tires half flat. Every time I see this I say "THANKS, you the reason I get to deal with TPMS!"

Last edited:

I saw a Pontiac Montana driving today with all four tires half flat. Every time I see this I say "THANKS, you the reason I get to deal with TPMS!"

Sorry, no. The Dodge.

I agree, it's great that because people can't bother to check their tires we get to spend an extra $200 per set of tires or live with the light!

Thanks. However, since it isn't that much work to do, for S's & G's I should put one of my summer alloys in the trunk and see if it does pick it up.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yes, the sensors need to be spinning to give the car's computer the reading.

Well that's not fun. The sensors in my Focus don't need to spin in order to work. I would be fine for the winter if I left all 4 in the trunk of my car!

Originally Posted By: cp3

Sorry, no. The Dodge.

I agree, it's great that because people can't bother to check their tires we get to spend an extra $200 per set of tires or live with the light!

Take a look at the topic I created "I think my tire is flat"

Last edited:
I couldn't have picked a better time to put the snows on. I didn't even think we would get this, but we got some wet sloppy.

We got about a 1/2" south of Chicago yesterday But the salt trucks were out in full force.
smirk.gif

I have some Michelin Arctic Ice tires I've been running in the winter for about 4 years. Just put them on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back