It's been awhile, quick ? On T6.

Guys it's been awhile since I had to purchase engine oil, been using up old stock.

Those on the up and up...

I have a 2020 Colorado ZR2 LGZ 3.6L na V6 and a 2008 Honda CBR600RR.

Prior to my ZR2 I had a 2.0L Turbo 2016 Camaro. I was running T6 5W40 in the bike and the car.

I want to run T6 5W40 in the truck and the bike now.

Would you experts advise for or against?

19L 5 gallon pails are on sale right now for $100 Canadian.

Thoughts?

Also fwiw I just did an oil change on the truck and used 3L of M1 5w30 dexos and 3L of 0W40 T6. Again trying to use up oil I have. We get ridiculously low ambient temps in Alberta Canada.

Am I an Idiot or am I safe in grabbing the pail of T6. Is the formulation still great?

If you have a concern on maintaining warranty, use Dexos certified oils for your truck, within the temperature guides in the manual for your temps.
In any case, I would still run a Dexos oil, it is a stout spec.

Edit: Just checked the owner's manual. Calls for a Dexos 1 oil, 5W-30 or in cold weather 0W-30.
To keep it simple, I would use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with an OE oil filter.
The PP tends to be on the thin side for a 5W-30 and is a Dexos 1 cert oil.

2020 Chevrolet Colorado Owner's Manual | Chevrolet Canada (gm.ca)

Last edited:
the 3.6 has been prone to valve tensioner wear, chain wear, I would use only Dexos in it. That is a $1000 + repair,

Rod

I was under the impression that the newest T6 5W40 was diesel only? No gas rating.

I would always run an oil that meets the specs for your vehicle.

I have one or two 5 QT jugs of some older CJ-4 T6 5W40 that was diesel and gas rated. Used a jug in my new to me boat engine.

Whether or not the formulation is still “great” is a matter of opinion. However the oil carries the approvals, specifications and licenses listed on the container. Are any of those what you want or need?

I'm mostly looking for an oil that performs well below ambient temperatures of -22°f/-30°c. Which we will likely see in the coming weeks.

And the truck sees WOT a lot, and gets redlined a lot and is driven rather spiritedly.

The engine is still under warranty. And the engine will get a supercharger within the next 12 months.

I appreciate the answers and valuable information on the oil choice thus far guys! I'm now back to overcomplicating things 😁.

As of right now it's a midsize truck with a wicked little 310hp V6 that sees lots of miles and cold temps and gets driven hard.

Valvoline advanced 5w30 is on sale half price at Wally world. As well as Quaker state 5w30 at Canadian Tire

If it was me, I would run a Dexos 1 oil until I went forced induction. Then, once I kissed any warranty chances goodbye, I would run both the bike and the truck on 0w40 M1 or Castrol.

If it was me, I would run a Dexos 1 oil until I went forced induction. Then, once I kissed any warranty chances goodbye, I would run both the bike and the truck on 0w40 M1 or Castrol.
I like that idea. There's lots of time to choose a severe duty oil for when the truck is supercharged.

I'm about to pick up Valvoline advanced synthetic.

I wish there was a D1G2 0w30 or 0w40.

I'm mostly looking for an oil that performs well below ambient temperatures of -22°f/-30°c. Which we will likely see in the coming weeks.

And the truck sees WOT a lot, and gets redlined a lot and is driven rather spiritedly.

The engine is still under warranty. And the engine will get a supercharger within the next 12 months.

I appreciate the answers and valuable information on the oil choice thus far guys! I'm now back to overcomplicating things 😁.

As of right now it's a midsize truck with a wicked little 310hp V6 that sees lots of miles and cold temps and gets driven hard.

Valvoline advanced 5w30 is on sale half price at Wally world. As well as Quaker state 5w30 at Canadian Tire
Any oil with a 5W winter rating is appropriate for those starting conditions. As for the rest of your post I’d suggest as high an HTHS as possible, along with either Porsche A40 or Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval.

Back