Its 1955. What oil are you using?

Imagine it is 1955...think of the automobiles that were available at the time tell me what oil you are using. I think I'm changing oil every six months, and I'm using Union 76 Royal Triton SAE 30 in the warm months and RT SAE 20 in the winter. I'm also probably driving a late forties Chevrolet sedan with a babbit bearing inline six. 😁

Imagine it is 1955...think of the automobiles that were available at the time tell me what oil you are using. I think I'm changing oil every six months, and I'm using Union 76 Royal Triton SAE 30 in the warm months and RT SAE 20 in the winter. I'm also probably driving a late forties Chevrolet sedan with a babbit bearing inline six. 😁
Valvoline, Sinclair, oilzum, wolf's head

By the late 40s, you would have had conventional shell bearings. Still a flathead, of course, but with modern bearings.

By the late 40s, you would have had conventional shell bearings. Still a flathead, of course, but with modern bearings.
I'm pretty certain the Chevrolet inline six used babbits until sometime in the 50s. I know for sure it was overhead valve.

Yes I'd have to say it would have been this Dad got it through the shop at cost
Mobil.jpg

I'm pretty certain the Chevrolet inline six used babbits until sometime in the 50s. I know for sure it was overhead valve.
Interesting. Many manufacturers made the switch to shell bearings before the war, but retained flat heads until long after the war was over.

Babbitt bearings and an overhead valve setup in 1940s is an interesting combination of new tech and old.

I'll have to take your word for it on the bearings. Looking online most replacement bearings are shell. I might've been thinking of the early 216s.

Interesting. Many manufacturers made the switch to shell bearings before the war, but retained flat heads until long after the war was over.

Babbitt bearings and an overhead valve setup in 1940s is an interesting combination of new tech and old.
If I'm not mistaken, Chevrolet's inline six was only ever utilized an ohv valve train, dating back to 1911. I am however, relying totally on memory so I wouldn't trust it without double checking 😉

If I'm not mistaken, Chevrolet's inline six was only ever utilized an ohv valve train, dating back to 1911. I am however, relying totally on memory so I wouldn't trust it without double checking 😉
Wow....I'm way off on that. Wiki says the inline 6 was introduced in 1929. I think I need to go to bed and get my marbles reset. 😳

55 Chevy owner's manual says change oil every 2000-3000 miles and if equipped with an oil filter to change it every 6000 miles. Many forget the ridiculous amount of fluid changes and lubrication needed on those older cars! Numerous 1000 mile lubrications required plus all kinds of inspections.

Back