It sucks needing 5.5 quarts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because half the time I find a great deal on a 5 qt jug, but cannot find an extra quart of the same kind. I have used Qs Defy for my last three changes because the 5qt jug is 15 bucks at WalMart, but last time I went they didn't have any single quarts.

I wound up getting Penzoil Gold this time around. It was one of the cheapest 5 qt jugs and had a correspond single quart. Is this very popular oil? I wanna use something that isn't going to become hard to find.

Sometimes I wonder if it would matter if I mixed, like get the 5 quarts of Defy and then a quart if Enhanced Durability since it's aparrently very close.

I feel you. I change the oil in a coworkers 2011 Mazda 3 2.5L and her car calls for 5.2 quarts. I dump in 5, run it a few minutes, then shut off engine and let it settle. It's usually close to full on dipstick, but still seems crazy to me....,,,,

You could always add a half quart of Pennzoil Conventional with the other 5 quarts of Pennzoil Gold. They will have a very similar additive package so they should play nice.

Also have you considering running a Fram Ultra which is rated for 15,000 miles and leaving it on for two change, so for one change the 5 quarts should bring you right up to full....Unless its a cartridge filter?

Since you're only dealing with 10% of the total sump volume, I think there's probably very little consequence in choosing a "non-matching" oil for the partial quart. I'd personally just opt for Super Tech in the appropriate viscosity.

If you live near an Advance Auto or other parts store that have sales on 5 quarts of oil and you can buy them as individual quarts, do that.

Then you'll have enough half quarts for 10 oil changes.

I would think that any of the Pennzoil or QS oils would be reasonably close in additives for that extra quart (PP, PUP, Pennz Gold, PYB, QSAD, QSUD). And you can often find those on sale during the year. QSAD is $3.97/qt at my Walmart and always available (PYB 28c more). Defy is $4.47/qt. Weird that they have the 10w-30 QS Defy at $10.92/qt....the same "unwanted" stuff I just bought at Auto Zone for $2/qt.

First,
welcome2.gif

If you're near Napa or O'Reilly, they let you buy individual quarts as part of their oil deals, and you can get extra quarts at the same sale price. O'R has a minimum of 5 quarts to get the sale price.

Pennzoil Gold is a quality oil at a great price, and won't be hard to find since every Walmart carries it. That Gold is also the cheapest dexos licensed oil that Walmart sells, which is important if you have a 2011 or later GM. What kind of car do you have?

This again? Everyone's [censored] lately about not having an even number of quarts in their sump. Just buy a jug and a single quart. Use 1/2 the single quart and use it next time, and buy an extra 5 quart jug.

Never heard anyone outside the US [censored] about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Padawan
Since you're only dealing with 10% of the total sump volume, I think there's probably very little consequence in choosing a "non-matching" oil for the partial quart. I'd personally just opt for Super Tech in the appropriate viscosity.
+1 There's no reason you can't add some from a quart of the same brand, or any brand for that matter.

The Smart Fortwo uses 3.7 quarts, oversized Fram 7317 filter, exactly four...

My Lawn tractor, 56 ounces, double oversized Fram 3600, exactly 64, two quarts...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You're down a 1/2 qt - so ... Run it with 5 until it's at teh add mark and then top off a full qt
smile.gif

Agreed, simple... I do same on one of mine that calls for 5 but is always down a third quart or so when changed...

I don't really see this as a problem. Just buy 2 five quart jugs. Unless you're planning on selling it before the next oil change, you'll use it up eventually. I've got the same problem, one car that uses 5.5 quarts and other that uses 8.5. I think on one oil change, I used 3 different kind of oils. Car still runs fine. Won't really matter to mix different brands, there's no issue there.

Originally Posted By: KennyJB

Sometimes I wonder if it would matter if I mixed, like get the 5 quarts of Defy and then a quart if Enhanced Durability since it's aparrently very close.

I mixed 1 qt of PYB at the tail end of a massive 10k+ oci. Good news: it was not only a great match (PP uses moly as a FM and Valvoline doesn't) but the performance of the PYB was so overwhelming that I decided to try the PUP when 6 bottles came up on clearance after a "tele" phone call to nearest Auto Zone. So good things can come when you buy that extra qt.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You're down a 1/2 qt - so ... Run it with 5 until it's at teh add mark and then top off a full qt
smile.gif

Yep, that's what I'd do...you need the extra quart regardless, so may as well make it the same.

re the title, my Nissan is supposed 6.9L per change, but takes 7.4 to get to the full mark...I just buy two jugs, and make sure the incomplete one is the first in to get used fully next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back