The 6th quart dilemma

I picked up a 5qt jug of PUP dated mar 24, 2014 with the new labels. I used the FRN code and filled my ecoboost up with Vpower 91 E0 for ~1.00/gallon after all my codes. Now heres the dilemma, my ecoboost needs an OCI. It takes 6qts, I already have 5 but the only place i can find PUP quarts is on amazon for an outrageous price of $51/6qts and pepboys sale for $7.33/qt. I paid 25.17/5qts at walmart. I'm a little OCD about some things and I don't like open 5qt jugs of oil laying around on the shelf and the measurements arent as precise as a 1qt bottle. I also think 1qt bottles nicer and easier to use. So do I suck it up and buy another 5qt jug, hide it out of sight and let it sit on the self open for the next 9-10 months, suck it up and buy quarts from amazon or do I get a quart of PPPP for my 6th quart? I've never used this in my ecoboost and don't want a lot extra laying around in case "I dont like how it runs" in my engine.

just get an extra 5qt, next oil change use the 4qts from that one and 2 from another one, next oil change use the 3qts and 3 from another one etc. 1 year with the cap on isnt deadly to oil. If it makes you feel better store it somewhere climate controlled ex. a basement. you can also keep a clean empty 1qt bottle if that makes measuring the 6th quart easier.

Last edited:
Quote:
1 year with the cap on isnt deadly to oil.
If he is stressing about that, don't tell him there are 6 qts lying in the pan with no cover whatsoever for the exact same length of time. Another decision masking as a problem.

Last edited:
Pouring a second 5 quart jug to use one quart of oil is a PITA. Then the next time you do an oil change you will do the same for 2 quarts. Just by one PPPP. That mixture is supreme overkill for your engine as is.

and now onto life's GREAT first world problems.. Hi I'm Rand and I'm a hoarder... yes an oil hoarder Besides my stash of 14 black toyo-roki filters I have this stash of oil PS: those weights in the corner are 55lb deere wheel weights and no you cant have them.. those are extremely hard to find at a decent price.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If he is stressing about that, don't tell him there are 6 qts lying in the pan with no cover whatsoever for the exact same length of time. Another decision masking as a problem.

Last edited:

volk06

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:
1 year with the cap on isnt deadly to oil.
Thanks for your completely useless comment, which has nothing to do with any recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Buy a 5 quart jug and a single quart. Is that 7 bucks really gonna make a difference?
more like 3$ bucks, since the oil is 5+$/qt in 5qt jug and 7-9$ in single quarts.

get the 5 qt jug, and spend another $10 on a case of qt Canning Jars. Distribute the oil evenly among 5 of the jars. if you want to be sure it's sealed, you could even "can" the oil. basically submerge the sealed jar into a boiling water bath for 10 min or so. just google canning to get the basic technique. is it OCD? possibly. but hey,you gotta have a little fun somewhere... this is a version of what i do, but with pint jars (each car takes an odd .5 qt) I currently have pint jars of 5w20 meijer syn,and pp,pyb,and GTX all in 5w30, leaving 4.5qts in the 5qt jugs. ready to pour into the Vibe. then when i do the Sable(5.5qts), i take my 5qt jug of 5w20, and pour in a Pint of 5w30. honestly, the year of sitting in a opened bottle won't do anything. when i sent in My frankenbrew(see vibe in sig for link), i had them look for signs of oxidation, as the jug i had been storing it in over the 2+ yrs it too to accumulate, wasn't exactly air tight. the report said, "no harmful contaminants or oxidation showed up"

Last edited:
Buy a second 5 QT jug. I only buy 4 or 5 QT jugs. What if you buy only that 6th QT and need a little make up oil in a few months?

volk06

Buy a 5 quart jug and a single quart. Is that 7 bucks really gonna make a difference?
Can't buy a single quart of PUP, I can only get singles of PPPP but then you'd actually have to read my post before posting.

volk06

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
pepboys sale for $7.33/qt. + 25.17/5qts at walmart = 32.50/6qts = 5.45/qt....vs 5.03... that's about 45¢ more/qt, right? What's the dilemma?
Pep boys I have to buy 12qts and use codes. Cost $88.

Nick1994

$50 Site Donor
Originally Posted By: volk06
Can't buy a single quart of PUP, I can only get singles of PPPP but then you'd actually have to read my post before posting.
I did read your post. You said you can get the extra quart at Pep Boys for $7.33 per quart. Maybe you should read your own post.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: jorton
^ Use PYB
+1 Seconded.
+1 thirded-ed
+1 that's exactly what I was thinking when I first read the original post on this thread.