The 6th quart dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
I want something more readily available and something that will have a little TBN retention over a longer OCI. The kendall has done great but im sure the TBN will be lower than 1.4 this time which is pushing my comfort zone.

I have not UOA'ed the Kendall in the Explorer (have not had an OC yet), but after the next run, I am switching to M1 for the same reason--availability. It is a shame that Kendall is not more readily available; it is a good oil.

I would buy the extra quart this time especially since you don't know yet if you'll want to keep using this oil. I don't like having partial jugs of oil I don't want to use laying around.

I pour in a quart from my leftover jug to make up the extra quart. I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything, but I see why someone else might not want to do it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
just get an extra 5qt, next oil change use the 4qts from that one and 2 from another one, next oil change use the 3qts and 3 from another one etc.

1 year with the cap on isnt deadly to oil.

If it makes you feel better store it somewhere climate controlled ex. a basement.

you can also keep a clean empty 1qt bottle if that makes measuring the 6th quart easier.

+1

I only buy 5-quart jugs now and just use the extra open container to mix the next batch up. It's no big deal to read the quart or liter markings on the side of the jug when going beyond 5 quarts.

Occasionally I'll use a clean empty jug to pour in the exact amount I want (i.e. 1.6 quarts) or when mixing viscosities / adding Lubro Moly or Cera Tech.

Typically, the oil level in all my vehicles runs 1/8" over the full mark and using a second jug for more precise measuring keeps things simple.

I buy oil in jugs almost exclusively. I use a high mileage quart for the 6th quart when applicable. If I have no HM, then whatever is available and seems suitable at the time goes in. Not enough of an issue to spend more than a minute deciding (including the time it takes to look at what's on the shelf).

Here's what you do.

Oil change #1 buy one
242dcma.jpg
and one
2e0ll6x.jpg

Save the empty PYB quart bottle

Oil Change #2 same thing

Do this for 4 total oil changes, until you have 4 empty PYB quart bottles.

Oil Change #5, buy TWO
242dcma.jpg
and use 6 quarts, pour the remaining 4 quarts into your 4 empty PYB quart bottles.

Oil Changes #6-#9, use One
242dcma.jpg
and one of your refilled PYB bottles.

.. and return to OCI #5 again.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I buy oil in jugs almost exclusively. I use a high mileage quart for the 6th quart when applicable. If I have no HM, then whatever is available and seems suitable at the time goes in. Not enough of an issue to spend more than a minute deciding (including the time it takes to look at what's on the shelf).

A wise man.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Buy a car that uses five quarts.

Problem solved....

...or find 4 other Sonata owners, buy 6 jugs and divide the 30 quarts among the 5 owners.

Sounds like someone needs to buy quarts exclusively to save a lot of headaches. Having partial jugs laying around has never been a problem for me. OPE needs oil too.

I tend to buy a relatively substantial quantity (i.e. cases, 5 gallon pails), and measure what I need. The sixth quart business would drive me crazy, too. Imperial Oil's weird 4.4 L jugs drive me insane as it is.

To give the PUP a good test, I would just just buy the sixth quart of it. Maybe you can find it online for a good price and get a local store to price match. Most stores by me will match, but they don't advertise it. Now if you plan to always buy PPPP for the sixth quart, you might as well just do that since you will be testing the blend. Test it the way you plan to run it if you like it.

Here's your solution.

Buy your favorite motor oil in 5 quart jugs at Wallyworld.

Buy a 5 quart oil change deal of your favorite oil with filter as single quarts at your auto parts store.

So you will have enough singles for 5 Walmart jugs and 5 complete changes.

Problem solved, again....

Candidly, my Land Cruiser change is 8 quarts.

I don't have any problem busting open another 5 quart jug for the extra 3 quarts needed.

I'll just use the remaining 2 quarts with the next change 6 months from now.

Well, I buy the oil for my personal vehicle in 12 qt cases. Problem solved. Especially since my pickup only uses about 1/4 of a quart in 7000 miles.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Well, I buy the oil for my personal vehicle in 12 qt cases. Problem solved. Especially since my pickup only uses about 1/4 of a quart in 7000 miles.

+1
This is probably the best idea out of the whole thread.

Unless I'm only changing oil in lawnmowers even if quarts were the same cost as buying jugs I'd still buy jugs. Opening and emptying 5-8 bottles is senseless. Jugs also give you a nice vessel for used oil. Filling a sump isn't exactly scientific. Close is perfect. No need to try and figure this stuff out to the ounce.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I picked up a 5qt jug of PUP dated mar 24, 2014 with the new labels. I used the FRN code and filled my ecoboost up with Vpower 91 E0 for ~1.00/gallon after all my codes. Now heres the dilemma, my ecoboost needs an OCI. It takes 6qts, I already have 5 but the only place i can find PUP quarts is on amazon for an outrageous price of $51/6qts and pepboys sale for $7.33/qt. I paid 25.17/5qts at walmart. I'm a little OCD about some things and I don't like open 5qt jugs of oil laying around on the shelf and the measurements arent as precise as a 1qt bottle. I also think 1qt bottles nicer and easier to use.

So do I suck it up and buy another 5qt jug, hide it out of sight and let it sit on the self open for the next 9-10 months, suck it up and buy quarts from amazon or do I get a quart of PPPP for my 6th quart? I've never used this in my ecoboost and don't want a lot extra laying around in case "I dont like how it runs" in my engine.

Purchase QTY 2, 5-quart jugs of product.

Since surely you have at least one empty 5-quart jug laying around, pour the full jugs into the one empty jug until each of all jugs have 3.333 quarts (3.15 Liters) of oil.

Now aren't you glad you asked?
grin2.gif

Us I-O-W-A-Ns have to stick together, you know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back