Issues with 08' Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have been looking at quite a few 2008 Prius. Anyone have repair issues with there's. Most common issue I have run across so far is one or both headlites go off and all. Not sure what that is and costs.

They are fairly good vehicles. The problem is that most of the Gen-2's on the used market today will be almost 10 years old (or more) and will have very high mileage. While the Hybrid Batteries do last quite a while, they have a finite lifespan. A new battery is around $2500 and a remanufactured one with a 3-yr warranty is about $1200 from Dorman/A1 Cardone. My understanding is that the Remanufactured ones are not always a reliable option; the best choice is to go with new.

Other than that the battery issue, many of the higher mileage ones I've serviced have an appetite for oil. The engine water pumps can sometimes leak but it is a cheap/easy fix. The inverter pump sometimes fail but most of those were replaced under a recall.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Great cars for what are. Comfortable, reliable low maintenance transportation.

+1

I have a 2007 prius, which is fairly new to me. Widetrax above is right; PriusChat has a lot of good info on the 2nd Gen Prius.

Most notable issue I have found with mine is the valve 'chatter' that happens when the oil gets low in the sump. These little engines tend to have the valve guides start wearing out around 100k miles. When they do, you will lose oil frequently. (For me I have to top off with oil about every 2 weeks). Be sure to check your dipstick often, and use a High Mileage oil if you can to help slow it down.

Just be advised. Other than that, it has been a great car.

GL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toaster_Jer
Hello all. I have been looking at quite a few 2008 Prius. Anyone have repair issues with there's. Most common issue I have run across so far is one or both headlites go off and all. Not sure what that is and costs.

Had a 2008 Prius Touring Edition with HID headlights. Replacement of a bulb involved disassembling the front end (bumper cover, fender well, front shroud, etc.) at a dealer cost of $500. There was such a public outcry that Toyota cut the price of the bulb in half, which made it a $350 repair. The car was very reliable but cheaply made (hard interior plastic, rattles, etc.) with poor handling characteristics. Driving in a cross wind was like an E-ticket ride! Eventually moved on with no regrets.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Had a 2008 Prius Touring Edition with HID headlights. Replacement of a bulb involved disassembling the front end (bumper cover, fender well, front shroud, etc.) at a dealer cost of $500.

That was the "official" fix. There's a way to remove the driver side headlight bulb without disassembling the front end. It's a bit tight, but if you remove a few fuses from the box, you can find just enough room to squeeze the bulb in/out without the extra work. I've done it a few times and it isn't easy.

Originally Posted By: egomolka
Critic, how long do you run the M1 EP in the Gen3 Prius? I'm currently at 11 months, 12k miles on the same earl.

I change mine every 5,000 miles. I used to follow the 10k intervals but as the engine got older, I think it started getting more blow-by because the oil would turn very dark after 7-8k regardless of which oil I used.

Last edited:
I have an '07 Prius, it now has 124k on it and has been nearly zero repairs, doesn't use oil, no leaks of any kind, still on the original hybrid battery.

Regarding the headlights, I had the familiar problem of the intermittent HID bulbs. This is a $300 per side repair at a dealer, I bought a Philips bulbs off Ebay for $45, and took me about 20 mins to install. Check out youtube videos, you DO NOT have to disassemble the front bumper etc. All you have to do is loosen the radiator guard and a couple small brackets and/or fuse cover and you can access the bulbs. Granted, it's cramped and you have to do it blind, but if you familiarize yourself with what you're feeling for before you dive in it's not that bad.

With mine the passenger side went intermittent at about 110k, I replaced the bulb and it's been perfect ever since. About a month after that the driver side went intermittent and I replaced it, but it's still intermittent. Maybe I got a bad bulb, I've read online that a number of people have had that happen. I bought another bulbs but haven't bothered to install it yet. I figure it's either the bulb or worst case the ballast, which I'm really hoping to avoid.

Anyway, look on youtube, the HID replacement is not that tough.

FWIW my Prius seems to like most any 5w30 oil I put in it, but it LOVES Mobil 1 AFE 5w30. Just sounds so smooth and I swear it gets like 3-4 mpg more than the other syn oils I've used in it. I do 10k OCI's.

I've got 300k Kms... One repair, besides rear brakes, front still original, Had to change the coolant control valve which I did myself, the part being about eighty bucks. I drive it as a courier/pizza delivery car... This thing is a tank, never owned anything like it as far as durability. The doors still shut like it just came out of the factory. It's not for everyone perhaps but if you drive a lot or like a quite relaxing drive I'd recommend...

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I have an '07 Prius, it now has 124k on it and has been nearly zero repairs, doesn't use oil, no leaks of any kind, still on the original hybrid battery.

FWIW my Prius seems to like most any 5w30 oil I put in it, but it LOVES Mobil 1 AFE 5w30. Just sounds so smooth and I swear it gets like 3-4 mpg more than the other syn oils I've used in it. I do 10k OCI's.

Interesting, I'll have to give Mobil 1 a shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back