Trusting a Car for Long Distance Travel after Major Repairs

This is a great question that speaks to those of us who have an interest in car longevity. First, the quick answer to your question (with a few caveats) is that this car, is very likely to go many hundreds of thousands of miles more, as history has proven. I would caveat that comment with a slight concern about how well the car has been maintained. An early, major engine problem perhaps raises an eyebrow, slightly. If the car has not been maintained (ie. missed oil and fluid changes, bald tires, metal on metal brakes, or alternatively has been inadequately repaired after a significant accident, then some caution might be in order. But, think about this with a thought experiment. You have to choose between a 2000 Camry with 80,000 miles and a mint, 4,000 mile 2012 Fiat 500. You must choose the car that will most reliably get you from New York, to LA and back without a breakdown. I will give you a hint: you can make the Camry have 120,000, 200,000 or 240,000 miles, and my answer stays the same.

But, think about this with a thought experiment. You have to choose between a 2000 Camry with 80,000 miles and a mint, 4,000 mile 2012 Fiat 500. You must choose the car that will most reliably get you from New York, to LA and back without a breakdown. I will give you a hint: you can make the Camry have 120,000, 200,000 or 240,000 miles, and my answer stays the same.

I know a guy who has destroyed pretty much every car he's ever owned, and if he's been anywhere near that 2000 Camry, I'm going with the 2012 Fiat 500.

This is a great question that speaks to those of us who have an interest in car longevity. First, the quick answer to your question (with a few caveats) is that this car, is very likely to go many hundreds of thousands of miles more, as history has proven. I would caveat that comment with a slight concern about how well the car has been maintained. An early, major engine problem perhaps raises an eyebrow, slightly. If the car has not been maintained (ie. missed oil and fluid changes, bald tires, metal on metal brakes, or alternatively has been inadequately repaired after a significant accident, then some caution might be in order. But, think about this with a thought experiment. You have to choose between a 2000 Camry with 80,000 miles and a mint, 4,000 mile 2012 Fiat 500. You must choose the car that will most reliably get you from New York, to LA and back without a breakdown. I will give you a hint: you can make the Camry have 120,000, 200,000 or 240,000 miles, and my answer stays the same.

This is just silly as evidenced by the rest of this thread.

I purchased a 2005 Yukon with 205k on it take our family of 6 to Destin,FL for spring break. We had to have room for a toddler seat and 5 adu!ts. I got it for 3300 and put another thousand in it for repairs. It was owned by a mechanic. It used no oil and had over 60 psi oil pressure and never went over 195 temp. So in 1286 miles on the highway we got over 18mpg calculated and 13-15 in town. Enterprise wanted 2200 to rent a minivan for 8 days Now that we are back I plan to sell it. Figure that I will get most of my money back. Paint is failing and has rusty rockers but it hauls people comfortably safely.

Just had the OE drive belt, tensioner, idle rollers, and water pump replaced along with fresh coolant on the MB in sig.

Getting ready to drive it 1,600mi to/from my 25th high-school reunion in Atlanta.

No worries :)

I’ve done two invasive repairs on two cars, one(2005 Sienna, 180ishK) is running as solid as ever since a valley plate reseal. Took it up to Tahoe over the weekend. The other(2009 Prius, 201K) is running fine with new timing chain/rails/tensioner/VVT phaser but due to battery pack age and fuel pump concerns it doesn’t leave the Bay Area within range of AAA Plus towing coverage.

I know the feeling.

I have been putting off the timing job forever on the Navigator in my signature. I have Ford OEM phasers and solenoids on hand, but the chain, guides, crank sprocket and tensioners are Melling (Professional grade, not service grade). I'm getting cold feet on the guides and thinking I should go buy some OEM ones. Lol....

I mean if I only drive it around the suburbs, does it really matter? Probably never going to drive this car somewhere 400 miles away. My wife's limit is about 200 miles, anything past that and she flies. She is from Brazil and long highway trips are less of a thing there because of the safety factor. And also driving to some places just isn't reasonable, like anything north of Rio going towards the Amazon region, the roads degrade into 3rd world stuff. Around her native Sao Paulo, the roads are pretty close to US standards.

Back