ISP Speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious as to what everyone is getting these days. I had U-Verse for about 4 years and upgraded the speed about the same number of times, but it always seemed "laggy" and the speeds varied quite a bit throughout the day. About 3 months ago, I upgraded to the fastest they had (I forget the name) and had a myriad of problems making it stable and operational. The first day I had it was the fastest it ever was:

YkCGxH.jpg

After that first day despite no less than seven techs coming out and also a ground crew working on the underground wiring, it become slower and slower, until it slowed to 18 down and 5 up with a bouncing connection every evening during the last week I had it. I kicked them to the curb five weeks ago and switched to xfinity one and now have these speeds that are stable no matter what time of the day:

gdWmWo.jpg

xfinity has been stating they are going to double everyone's bandwidth at no charge during the coming year, so when that happens (I have a promotion for 1 year), I will probably drop one level and still have this speed. I have friends/colleagues in the NE that have Verizon FiOS that tell me it is near 100MBS speeds.

What are you guys getting these days for speed and is it stable?

I've had Comcast/Xfinity since 2005. Typical speeds are 30 up and 8 down. The speeds for the most part are consistent. Not sure what our speed package is but we pay $129.00 a month for HD cable and Internet service.

574610464.png

There's a quick speed test I just ran.

Last edited:
I'm in NYC on FiOS 75/75, all plans were recently bumped to symmetrical.

....problem is, due to Verizon/FCC [censored] poor politics, I can't stream Netflix at more then 1Mb

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
What are you guys getting these days for speed and is it stable?

I've got xfinity 25/5 plan. Actual speeds are as follows and I'd say they're pretty stable...

3649854674.png

And that's on an old DOCSIS 2.0 modem.
smile.gif

Mine is -- ping 53ms, d/load .72mbps,upload is .37!!! I only get 1mb service. Should i complain that it's too low,even for stated 1mb service?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Should i complain that it's too low,even for stated 1mb service?

Depends on how your contract is worded. If it says "up to 1 Mbps", then technically what you're getting is not in violation of it, but it doesn't cost you anything to complain I guess.

Is it some kind of a wireless/microwave service? Who's the provider?

You've gone though all your wiring with a fine tooth comb?
DSL can be rather fickle and not perform the best if the wirings not too good, too many splits, etc.

I'd install a POTS splitter to try and clean up the line, and to eek a bit more out of it. The upside is you could get rid of all the filter fingers on the other ends of the phone line.

I have time warner and the node was overloaded.. took them 3 months to split it and I am back to a gaming worthy connection.

5.5 up 34 down.

for 3-4 months I suffered through intermittant packet loss and latency spiking.. horrid if you are trying to play a game with a ranking system that kicks you in the nuts if you disconnect..

Currently at my grandfathers place, we got him switched over from Centurylink 7/768 and local calling for $85/mo to Time Warner 20/2 with unlimited long distance for $56/mo. Once we get to our new place in NC we will be back on TWC 50/5.

3651514742.png

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Should i complain that it's too low,even for stated 1mb service?

Depends on how your contract is worded. If it says "up to 1 Mbps", then technically what you're getting is not in violation of it, but it doesn't cost you anything to complain I guess.

Is it some kind of a wireless/microwave service? Who's the provider?
Nope,this is Dsl Extreme. Service is 27 a month. Everything else is around 39 and some don't even provide service here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back