ISP Speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, DSL speeds really depend on how far away you are from the nearest DSLAM. If you're pretty far, the signal is weak and you won't get the greatest speeds unfortunately.

3656860166.png

Yay symmetrical upgrades

......if only I could stream Netflix worth a damm
frown.gif

28.5 up/5.5down xfinity for $50 part of a expensive cable/internet/phone bill($180/month). Thankfully work pays phone/internet.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
3656860166.png

Yay symmetrical upgrades

frown.gif

With that kind of speed...what's stopping you?

GrtArtiste

You only need 5mbps to stream Netflix at highest quality.

I have 20-30Mb/s speed and honestly not sure for my use (Web Application architect and personal) why 100 Mb/s or more is that much better. The one exception is downloads which I am guessing folks who like lots of bandwidth pirate movies or something.

Are there websites that offer substaintially better experience with more bandwidth?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Are there websites that offer substaintially better experience with more bandwidth?

Gaming platforms maybe, like Steam?

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
3656860166.png

Yay symmetrical upgrades

frown.gif

With that kind of speed...what's stopping you?

GrtArtiste

this is why

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

Short answer: Basically Verizons interface to netflix CDN is so completely overloaded, that you rarely get HD, and buffering is common.

I know why
And a VPN can bypass the problem

This is pretty much a degraded [censored] match in politics between Transit providers (Level 3/Cognet), ISPs, (Verizon/AT&T/TWC/ and Comcastic) and the FCC.

It's a shame, because Verizon's technology is superior, they're just trying to satisfy there shareholders

Tested from here to Tucson and the modem is maxed out.

COX recently upgraded my level to 50 Mbps, but I have a DOCSIS 2 modem. If I want the higher speed I'll have to upgrade to DOCSIS 3. On average, I'd say I'm leaving 20 Mbps on the table right now.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4

COX recently upgraded my level to 50 Mbps, but I have a DOCSIS 2 modem. If I want the higher speed I'll have to upgrade to DOCSIS 3. On average, I'd say I'm leaving 20 Mbps on the table right now.

So why wouldn't you upgrade your modem so you get everything that you are paying for?

Originally Posted By: Nick R

So why wouldn't you upgrade your modem so you get everything that you are paying for?

Yeah. Especially if they're charging you a Modem Rental fee
ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_5wX2tb05TMA4CKJ2

You'll be saving money, having a much faster and more reliable internet connection.

Not bad. $50, DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola Surfboard included in price (no extra lease charge, included in internet price)

Also, I think the advertised speed is 30/4...

Last edited:
Michael & Nick,
Its literally been just a few days since they did the upgrade and I am going to get a new modem. I'm not renting, so this current one has long since paid for itself since I purchased it.
I was thinking about that Motorola, but saw this one with great ratings: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-...rds=zoom+modems
An article had this one to get right after that Surfboard, too. Plus it has a two year warranty instead of one.
Google fiber may be coming here (please, please, please happen!!!!) so I figured the Zoom would get me through until then. If not, it will still handle the speeds which I am willing to pay for and then some.

Michael & Nick,
Its literally been just a few days since they did the upgrade and I am going to get a new modem. I'm not renting, so this current one has long since paid for itself since I purchased it.
I was thinking about that Motorola, but saw this one with great ratings: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCSIS-Cable-...rds=zoom+modems
An article had this one to get right after that Surfboard, too. Plus it has a two year warranty instead of one.
Google fiber may be coming here (please, please, please happen!!!!) so I figured the Zoom would get me through until then. If not, it will still handle the speeds which I am willing to pay for and then some.

Ahh. Forgot about the Zoom. That's also a good choice, with a better warranty and price.

Looks like we just received the free upgrade doubling the download speed--very nice!

3662694019.png

Pretty sure I'm on the FiOS 30/20 plan

I've tested as good as this on speed and a 0ms ping.

I installed the new Zoom 5341J modem and here are the new results:

I had to call Cox back after I tested it and found out the guy hadn't made the speed upgrade upon recognizing the modem. The ping has gone up by a few 100%s, but its still good. I commented to rep and he said it should be ~50, so getting less than 20 through a router was spectacular.

Anyhoo...I'm off to test the new speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back