ISO ideal oil for my wife's car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all - I received some GREAT advice last time I needed something (and I'm not a big car guy, so I appreciate your patience with me). After getting some confidence doing my wife's brakes, my own oil, solving my car's rough riding, I'm ready to try her car.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well

"Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30 conventional motor oil, however 5W-30 synthetic may be used for optimum engine performance. If you do choose to use synthetic oil, we recommend that you continue using synthetic for the life of your vehicle.

"API classification SM or SN with the words “ENERGY CONSERVING” or “RESOURCE CONSERVING”
-OR-
"ILSAC GF-4 or GF-5, which can be identified with the ILSAC certification mark (Starburst mark)

3. Where you live - Chicago suburbs
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - Typical commuter; some longer trips
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - Commute approx. 15 miles, twice/week.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - None
7. Mileage - 77,471

Thanks in advance! Would love a suggested filter, too!

-Matt

I suggest to use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 synthetic oil and an OEM or WIX Gold series filter. That combination served me well in my Subaru. Ed

Those natural aspirated 2.5L Subaru engines aren't picky about oil. Seriously, changing it every 5K with any 5W30 that meets API SN will more than suffice.
You will most likely blow a head gasket well before you could ever put enough miles on it to wear the piston rings and bearing out.
I would probably run Pennzoil or Havoline conventional in it myself.

@Eddie, @skyactiv, @CT8 - thanks; my wife showed up with oil without checking with me... She's a keeper; she nabbed the Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend... As long as y'all don't think it'll mess me up, we'll go with that... And a Purolator Boss filter.

She beat me to it!

Originally Posted By: mwdoher
@Eddie, @skyactiv, @CT8 - thanks; my wife showed up with oil without checking with me... She's a keeper; she nabbed the Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend... As long as y'all don't think it'll mess me up, we'll go with that... And a Purolator Boss filter.

She beat me to it!

It will work perfectly.

Is that the Subaru engine that needs a high bypass pressure oil filter?
The wife's Castrol should be fine. I usually recommend a "High Mileage" oil for anything over 75,000 miles as do the oil makers, and they are right to give those seals a little extra seal conditioners to prevent future leaks.

Looks like your EJ253 engine does need the high-bypass settings. Recomend either a Wix 57055 or NAPAGold (NAPA autoparts stores) 7055. I think those are slightly longer than the original, but I think there is room in there. You could just go with the Subaru 15A oil filter or the shorter 12A. The Wix and NAPAgold oil filters might be a little more efficient, cleaning out smaller particles than the Subaru-branded oil filters, and the Wix and NAPAgold have silicone ADBV.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
I would never put anything without the correct PSI on my Subaru as well! I use Wix 57055 or Napa Gold 7055 only! I like having the silicone ADBV for our really cold winters.

I'm surprised the Purolator Boss PBL14615 is spec'ed at 20-30 psi bypass, so it should work fine. (Frams tend to run too low.) I think Subarus need at least 23 or 27 psi., so the Boss is close enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
NAPAGold (NAPA autoparts stores) 7055.

Thank you! I'll make a note for future changes... She's at 77k miles, so I'll stick with the High Mileage as well...

Many thanks, all!!

-Matt

Originally Posted By: mwdoher
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
NAPAGold (NAPA autoparts stores) 7055.
Thank you! I'll make a note for future changes... She's at 77k miles, so I'll stick with the High Mileage as well...
Boss or NAPAgold or Wix are about equivalent in performance here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back