Isn't gravity draining obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dakota99
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Because suction draining... well.... sucks. You never get the very bottom 1/2 inch of fluid out of the sump that way. Gravity draining empties right down to the very bottom.

Exactly. IMO there's no substitute for being able to drain from the very bottom, where all the nasties settle.

Not if you know how to do it correctly.

I always pump all the amount recorded in the owner manual, and even once, more than recorded (and I had to pour more of new oil to reach the Full mark).
That is the case with both my cars.
The good thing with the Rogue is that the filter is accessible if you turn the front wheel, so no ramp is needed for it.
Not the case for the Odyssey but I only need to change the filter every other oil change.

Help me stay clean with no mess or risk of mess.

i have a fumoto valve, and i consider my oil change method to be very easy. i wear nitrile gloves, but i barely ever even get a drop of oil on them.

i would really like to try a topsider or mityvac AFTER i let my oil completely drain. i would love to see how much, if any, additional oil comes out. if it was a half quart, i would consider buying a vacuum.

Changing the oil with a drain plug is already so blindingly easy I guess I just don't see the point in any topside sucker, or even on a quick-drain valve that might break if I drag bottom on road debris. Yes, I do have ramps and jackstands, but that's such a small investment and they have countless other automotive uses besides just doing oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Dealers and oil change shops would have oil evac pumps and would not have to deal with drain plug threads, oil loss due to not tightening them, etc.

MB dealers have been doing this for years.

Because suction draining... well.... sucks. You never get the very bottom 1/2 inch of fluid out of the sump that way.

If the engine was designed for it, you get everything out through extraction.

I would love to use something effective that would drain the oil from my 4Runner. The steel skidplates are a pain to remove and reinstall. The Forester isn't bad at all since it has plastic plates that rotate out of the way. Still, I'd use it for both if I could get as much (or close) oil out as a normal gravity drain. I'd like to rarely remove the oil drainplug.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Dealers and oil change shops would have oil evac pumps and would not have to deal with drain plug threads, oil loss due to not tightening them, etc.

MB dealers have been doing this for years.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Because suction draining... well.... sucks. You never get the very bottom 1/2 inch of fluid out of the sump that way.

If the engine was designed for it, you get everything out through extraction.

I'd been doing oil change in my MB E430(cartridge oil filter on top of engine) with Mityvac for 6 years, it is a cake walk to change oil+filter without a drop of oil on the ground or on my cloth. Similar for my brother in-law's BMW.

I also use Mityvac to do fluid exchange for power steering, transmission and brake reservoir(before bleeding from bleeder screws).

Raise the car, remove the skid-plate, remove the drain plug, reinstall the drain plug, reinstall the skid-plate, lower the car took so much time compares with using fluid extractor to vacuum the oil via dipstick tube.

Careful or some Gov't official will "mandate" that an extraction system is more environmentally friendly and make it law to do away with drain plugs and bottom mounted filters. And that every motor vehicle service facility have in place an extraction system that the gov't approves of. Of course the contract to build and manufacture those extractors would go to the lawmakers buddies.
You guys know the rest..........

if you extract the oil hot, you woud probably get most of the nasties out too. i prefer to drain it so i can check my magnetic plug.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

The nicest thing about the BMW inline six is the cartridge filter accessible from the front/top of the engine.

Unless it's one of the BMW inline-6's that has no dipstick. Then you have no choice but to raise the car

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Originally Posted By: Jim 5

The nicest thing about the BMW inline six is the cartridge filter accessible from the front/top of the engine.

Unless it's one of the BMW inline-6's that has no dipstick. Then you have no choice but to raise the car

If we're talking about dipsticks not filter cartridges, then that's now true... I forgot about that. Mine was an 02 and the newer models don't have one. My friend bought '10 Audi S4 with no dipstick, but the dipstick "kit" can be purchased from the dealer for $65 and he has it on order so he can use a topsider. I wonder whether this is possible for the new generation BMWs.

A guy did all extractor changes on an A4 for 80k or so and then pulled the pan top do the gasket. Nothing was left in terms of metal litter.

Changing the oil with a drain plug is already so blindingly easy I guess I just don't see the point in any topside sucker, or even on a quick-drain valve that might break if I drag bottom on road debris. Yes, I do have ramps and jackstands, but that's such a small investment and they have countless other automotive uses besides just doing oil changes.

I agree. IF it isn't broke, let's not fix it!

Got an extractor for cheap on ebay and have been using it ever since. It's great, especially since the location of the plug on my car makes it almost inaccessible without a ramp. The first couple of times after using it I took the plug off anyway. You know what? All I got out extra was an ounce or so. And since my filter is reachable from the top (with some arm stretching, but it is) I can avoid crawling under altogether.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
Anything that is not gravity draining sucks.

LOL :D

Why don't manufacturers put a convenient underhood oil change suction port with a quick disconnect? Dealers and oil change shops would have oil evac pumps and would not have to deal with drain plug threads, oil loss due to not tightening them, etc.

It works on boats.

So this would fix the overwhelming destroying of drain plugs?
Except for that now everyone would need a pump, with it's cost and many more parts to break and maintain. There would be MORE parts in/on the engine to possibly fail. It would eliminate anyone from performing a simple drain, if they wished.
The added costs would be paid by us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back