Is Walmart wiping out the supply of Supertech filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have been saying this for years, but supertech hasn't gone away. It's odd that Supertech oil sells so well, but no one dares buy anything but Fram filters.
dunno.gif

quote:

Wally demands cheaper and Fram says OK - we'll just leave out more media...they'll never know.

Has it ever dawned on you that perhaps those 5 quart oil jugs at Wally World only have the proper additives for four quarts of oil?

I have read VOAs/UOAs here where admitted Wal*Mart oil purchasers have shown us some abnormal, weak add-packs.

Makes you wonder who is working those additive faucet percentages when it comes time to bottle those 5-quart jugs for Wal*Mart?
dunno.gif

Around here, buying the SuperTech dino by the 5 quart jug instead of per quart is actually more expensive..weird.

On topic; The shelf space dedicated to ST filters around here has shrunk a bit. But they put Motorcraft's back on the shelf, so that's a plus..

Fram-Land, baby! I noticed that the other day at the Sterling, Va. store. The entire wall was devoted to thousands of Frams of every stripe. Oil, air, fuel. you name it. Then, off to one 3' section was a sad little non-descript area where there were a handful of motorcraft and ST filters, and very few of those at that. K&N air filters were part of that section. No books to sort out which of those for what car.

The funny part was, their little electronic book at the Fram-Land display had dead batteries, so no one could sort out/purchase the Frams either. No paper guides were available. Another case of Wally-World catering to the public interest, if there ever was one.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:

quote:

Wally demands cheaper and Fram says OK - we'll just leave out more media...they'll never know.

Has it ever dawned on you that perhaps those 5 quart oil jugs at Wally World only have the proper additives for four quarts of oil?

I have read VOAs/UOAs here where admitted Wal*Mart oil purchasers have shown us some abnormal, weak add-packs.

Makes you wonder who is working those additive faucet percentages when it comes time to bottle those 5-quart jugs for Wal*Mart?
dunno.gif

I've often wondered exactly the same thing about their oil. At one time Wally's anti-freeze was deluded.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Boston:

Frams have been cheaply made the same for the last 20-30 years even before Wal-Mart is what it is today. Fram has a higher margin that can expand and contract when needed to offset the Wal-Mart price structure. Wal-Mart stocks only what sells and Frams will always outsell the others so Wal-Mart needs Fram to get the store traffic to the automotive section.

Hootbro

Seldom go to WM automotive section, but passed thru the other day just to gander. Was really suprised by tiny amount of space devoted to ST in a sea of orange.

Bob

I second the quality of ST oil. When I was doing 4k OCI, any oil will work except ST. The drained oil has gritty, crystalized bits in the drain pan while other branded oil is just dark.

Only when I did 6k OCI on Formula Shell (another weak oil) did I find similar gritty, crystalized bits in the pan. Since those bits didn't show up in Shell's 5k OCI, I figure ST must be only 2/3 as good, which probably put it 1/2 as good as Chevron Supreme or the equivalents.

They do not have ST filter for most sizes (i.e. Camry V6) and I have a feeling that they can make more money selling Fram than ST on most sizes.

My local Walmart has a pathetic supply of Supertech filters. The orange wall, however, is stronger than ever.

[ March 26, 2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Slick17601 ]

quote:

Do you really think Fram would make to different filters just for Wal-mart? Odd then that Wal-mart hasn't demanded Champ change the Supertech filters to not have as much media. Supertech filters have more media then Fram, and I'd think that Wal-mart would have a lot more control over that filter wouldn't you?

More may not neccesarily mean better however. My understanding is that Fram filters actually filter pretty well (when they hold together), it's the construction that's the issue.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

quote:

Do you really think Fram would make to different filters just for Wal-mart? Odd then that Wal-mart hasn't demanded Champ change the Supertech filters to not have as much media. Supertech filters have more media then Fram, and I'd think that Wal-mart would have a lot more control over that filter wouldn't you?

I would venture to guess Champions new e-core was a cost cutting move in an attempt to capture some of Frams market share.

I think they did some parts consolidation with the change to Ecore. Sell the same filter for 2 almost the same applications. Less cost, less shelf space. In the mean time, I notice the ST 3950 box has a little chart showing it is equivalent to the Motorcraft 403. There was a time when I wouldn't have put a Ford filter on my truck. Still no Ford fan, but like what I have read here about Motorcraft oil filters. I don't care if I have to pay a M1 or K&N price, I will never use a Fram.

well, i can report here in the heart of the beast (northwest arkansas, home to walmart hq) there are NO more supertechs in the local walmart. a full isle of nothing but fram. admittedly there were several grades of fram, but nothing else, not even the motorcraft filters of yor.

i will never use a fram either.

It is up to the individual store manager to stock which brands and how many.

Fram is an advertised brand.

Super Tech is not.

Hence the non-focus by any WalMart store to promote Super Tech.

The ST filter is in every store i've been to in the DFW area...

No Wal*Mart manager has the right to "entirely" pull a store brand off his shelf. I'm sure home headquarters would require that each store have a limited amount of shelf space for their own brand name products.

Each Walmart store is an independant profit center. The store manager can determine what products "better" fill the shelf space.

After all Super Tech doesn't say "Walmart" on the filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back