Is Valvoline Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline still sponsors the #10 car. They moved their team ownership/sponsorship to Evernham Motorsports. They even took Scott Riggs with them. As far as Valvoline formulations go, Terry has said that their formulations, at all levels, are solid and well tested. I trust what Terry says because he actually looks at the formulations. VOA's provide a very vague look at certain elements and are, in my opinion, useless. Valvoline does not use moly in All-Climate but, they obviously are using something to control wear and friction because their wear numbers always look good in UOA's and they meet the fuel efficiency requirements of GF-4.

I am sure valvoline AC is good oil but I don't use it due to cost.

AC just never appealed to me due to price.

The only valvoline products I have ever used are the maxlife engine oils and I think they are great.

As Bruce mentioned there must be something in the Valvoline ad pack that we don't see in a simple anaylsis. Here's one from 20W-50 VR1, supposedly a "racing oil" -

VOA Vavoline VR-1 20W-50 #211
Blackstone lab 3/1/04
Metals none
Moly 0
Silicon 6
Calcium 1971
Mag 5
Phos 975
Zinc 1156

SUS V @ 210F 100.0
Flash 450F

From the discussion about it here -

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000190#000010

It doesn't look very impressive to me. Then again, how much of a "racing oil" with a high performance additive package can you build for under $2.50 a quart?

I call "bunk".
thumbsdown.gif

I sent an e-mail to Valvoline. Here was their reply...

Molybdenum Disulfide is a solid lubricant and a friction reducer used in many oils. While we do use that in our MaxLife as part of the conditioning package, we don't require it in many of our other oils. There are other elements used in this formulation Zinc (anti-oxidant, anti-corrosive, and anti-wear agent), Calcium (Primary detergent package), and Phosphorus (another anti-wear additive with friction modifying abilities). These three, and several others make up the package for our conventional motor oil; by using this package, our oil meets and exceeds all manufacturer's specifications for the correct applications.

Thank you,

Valvoline

It's been rumored on here that Valvoline uses Antimony in some of their oils.According to Molakule Antimony serves as a multifunction additive.

What are some of the other well-favored oils that don't have much moly in them. Isn't Amsoil one? What about Pennzoil....??
And now I've heard that there is a trend toward Castrol GTX moly counts being lowered recently???

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
When did "Pennzoil sludges engines." turn into "Valvoline sludges engines."?
I feel left out - like I missed a myth milestone!

Decades ago when each oil company had its own wells they used for group I basestock, the "Pennzoil or Quaker State sludges" was probably true. Just as Kendall had some very good high VI basestock.

Now Pennzoil and Quaker State are owned by Shell and they are high tech high quality oils blended with modern basestocks.

Valvoline makes many good products. Maxlife, Synpower fuel cleaners, power steering fluid and brake fluid, and Zerex G-05 Hybrid OAT coolant.

I rarely use Valvoline Synpower Synthetic oil and Maxlife Synthetic, but that is only because I prefer Redline, Castrol GC, and Mobil 1.

5W20 Maxlife in the wifes Honda powered Vue. Seems like a good match
smile.gif

I bought a 5 quart box of AC at Wally World tonight for $7.50 ( buck fifty a quart) Not a bad deal since the single quart price is a buck more.

From the UOA's I was able to see here it looks like this oil has a tough time making it to 5k. I may have missed some of them but pushing this oil to 5K too much? Wondering if I should maybe only run it to 4K...?

Goose
patriot.gif

If you want to use Valvoline motor oil you should be able to find it in 5 qt. containers at Wal-Mart for a good price. Buying in 5 qt. containers is usually cheaper then buying in 1 qt. bottles.

Goose- take a little ride south into Mass and you'll probably find Maxlife boxes for $7.50 too.
I went to my Mother-in-laws in Hudson and WM didn't have the Maxlife on sale. We were also up in North Conway and they didn't have it on sale there either.

MaxLife is going in my ride this weekend
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hermann:

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
You can get MaxLife or MaxLife Synthetic almost for free...

http://www.valvoline.com/maxlife/microsite.asp

Went to Advance Auto parts last night and between myself, the GF and her son we scored 15 qts. for the grand total of 6.45 in taxes.. Long live rebates.

I'd send the 3 different rebates to 3 different addresses then to be sure you'll receive the $$ for all 15 quarts - the rebate form says one request per household or address. I'm not sure how strictly then enforce this, though. I've picked up 15 quarts, but I have 3 different addresses I can use.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by desmonsm:

quote:

Originally posted by Hermann:

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
You can get MaxLife or MaxLife Synthetic almost for free...

http://www.valvoline.com/maxlife/microsite.asp

Went to Advance Auto parts last night and between myself, the GF and her son we scored 15 qts. for the grand total of 6.45 in taxes.. Long live rebates.

I'd send the 3 different rebates to 3 different addresses then to be sure you'll receive the $$ for all 15 quarts - the rebate form says one request per household or address. I'm not sure how strictly then enforce this, though. I've picked up 15 quarts, but I have 3 different addresses I can use.
cheers.gif

I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back