Is Valvoline Really That Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Honda Civic, 104,000 miles on 3K-changes with Valvoline 5w-30 AllClimate, has never burned or leaked a drop. Good thing, since it's my wife's car and she never checks it. She says that's what I am for...

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

Back on topic... I think some people coming to the rescue on Valvoline's behalf keep mentioning Maxlife and their other lines of oils, which are in fact good. However, I think what we're trying to show is that the AC is slighly over priced for what you get. Granted, ANY oil run for 3K will show great UOA's, but will you have that safety cushion if you accidentaly go for 5 or 6K? Some say ST dino is good, but has a slightly weak add pack, but look at it's price point. Same goes for the ST syn. If I could get Valvoline AC for under 2 bucks WITHOUT having to wait for some silly 50 cents off sale, then yeah I'd be inclined to give it a go for a few short OCI's. But I think for as much as(and often more) than Havoline, Pennzoil, GTX, it just doesn't do it for me. Sorry, don't mean to offend any of the long time Valvoline faithful, just my unprofessional opinion.

My thoughts exactly! I liken valvoline all-climate to fram oil filters. Will it cause your engine to blow up? Probably not, but there are better products out there for your money. All the people in the world could come and defend Valvoline AC and say they have run it without troubles, but i still would not buy it myself becasue i think i can get a better oil for the money.

I don't know as much as 90% of the people on this forum. But I was under the impression that Valvoline's Max-Life line was pretty widely accepted as a quality oil.

The dino Max-Life is constantly on sale for about $2/quart. I don't see how this is any more expensive than Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, or really any other major name-brand of high-mileage oil.

Does the Max-Life tend to be a "weaker" oil than the others?

Zesty: I don't think so. It shows very good VOAs and UOAs.

I am sitting here wondering if Valvoline AC is really weak. People who use it get great results for the UOAs I have read on this site.

Perhaps they have a proprietary formula or additive package. The VOAs and UOAs are kind of like autopsy reports in a way. An autopsy only looks for certain things especially when the toxicology tests are run. They have to know what chemical to look for in order to find it.

quote:

Originally posted by Buford T. Justice:
Zesty: I don't think so. It shows very good VOAs and UOAs.

I am sitting here wondering if Valvoline AC is really weak. People who use it get great results for the UOAs I have read on this site.

Perhaps they have a proprietary formula or additive package. The VOAs and UOAs are kind of like autopsy reports in a way. An autopsy only looks for certain things especially when the toxicology tests are run. They have to know what chemical to look for in order to find it.

I'm beginning to think that what you just stated is very close to fact. It also makes me wonder if any of us really have a clue to one being better than another. Many here have stated that any SM oil is good, and I think that is probably the single, most sensible bit of truth I've heard here.

quote:

Originally posted by Zesty:
I don't know as much as 90% of the people on this forum. But I was under the impression that Valvoline's Max-Life line was pretty widely accepted as a quality oil.

The dino Max-Life is constantly on sale for about $2/quart. I don't see how this is any more expensive than Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, or really any other major name-brand of high-mileage oil.

Does the Max-Life tend to be a "weaker" oil than the others?

I talked about this a few posts back. I think the main focus is on the All Climate stuff. The Maxlife, Durablend, etc, are all good oils. It's the plain-jane dino stuff that has us pondering...

"- like I missed a myth milestone!"

That's good!
cheers.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I just purchased 5 quarts of Max Life 5w30 syn and I have the rebate form, receipt and seal ready to mail. I'm usually a dino guy, but exceptions can be made.
fruit.gif

Bingo
Correcto mundo:

"Perhaps they have a proprietary formula or additive package. The VOAs and UOAs are kind of like autopsy reports in a way. An autopsy only looks for certain things especially when the toxicology tests are run. They have to know what chemical to look for in order to find it."

That is why NO one here can make any evaluation based o upon a $20 VOA as I have said Unless you make the oil you will never know till you try it out.
bruce

its not that Valvoline is bad.

Its just that its additive pack is weaker COMPARED to other oils.......and it is more expensive.

"Its just that its additive pack is weaker COMPARED to other oils......."

says who how do you know ALL the additves????
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by bruce381:
"Its just that its additive pack is weaker COMPARED to other oils......."

says who how do you know ALL the additves????
bruce

Exactly. Just because the VOA does not show the "normal" things does not make it a "weaker" oil. As said, the UOA's all look good.

I will admit to one thing though. Everything I read seems to indicate that 200-400 ppm moly is great for oil. I wish Valvoline AC had more than 0, lol. The other Valvoline oils have this range of moly in them.

quote:

I will admit to one thing though. Everything I read seems to indicate that 200-400 ppm moly is great for oil. I wish Valvoline AC had more than 0, lol. The other Valvoline oils have this range of moly in them.

Maybe moly is not the Godsend that everyone thinks it is. Paid professionals formulate this stuff. Do you really think they are going to produce and market some sort of crap that isn't good for your car? Especially Valvoline?

quote:

Originally posted by grbr95:

quote:

Maybe moly is not the Godsend that everyone thinks it is. Paid professionals formulate this stuff. Do you really think they are going to produce and market some sort of crap that isn't good for your car? Especially Valvoline?

Thank you....... Look at mobil 1, gc, countless other oils do not have much moly and they appear to protect just fine.

The 'new' castrol that braggs about being 'anti-sludge' formula has seen the moly level in it's formulation drop quite a bit, which is interesting.

Perhaps moly is just one way to get to the desired goal, but not the only way.

Some engines (honda) do however appear to thrive on high moly content oils.

Well, I think this entire forum goes to show, that all of the brands are good. In all actuality, we could probabably lick our finger, stick it in the air, and chose one, and our engine would NEVER be harmed. Unless of course you neglect your OCI based on driving habits.

So I'll throw in my vote for the bit red and blue V. LOL

I used to use Valvoline exclusively when they sponsored the 6 car, and then when they had to go to the 10 car because of Roush gaining a different oil sponsor. Then when THEY dropped the 10 that they half owned and went elsewhere That's when I started using Mobil Clean 5000. Finding that oil was more of a headache, then I found BITOG and reading how alot of you like Havoline
worshippy.gif
I tried it and am now going to stay with Havoline. But getting back to Valvoline, I did like it. But being a racing fan, we can be picky in what we use.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Buford,

The link that you provided is a very good description of Mo Disulfide. However, the Mo found in most modern motor oils is not Mo Disulfide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back