Castrol GTX: The sleeper oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
> I'll bet gold GC is the same grp III
> shtuff as regular syntec. we need another z
> oil report!

Do a search - bruce381 addressed this.

Well, that's just a disadvantage for them--they should be "proud" of their specs...it's not like they are revealing proprietary info.

> Well, that's just a disadvantage for them--they
> should be "proud" of their specs...it's not
> like they are revealing proprietary info.

It may be a disadvantage for them with BITOG members, which is not important for any oil producer. Providing min/max specs may be a cost saver by not updating PDS and MSDS with every formulation change. BTW, pride is not a business interest.

> Castrol called me back today and told me
> the HT/HS on Castrol GTX and GTX Start UP
> 10w40 is ........... 2.9!

As you said, this is the minimum for the group. Castrol only gives out min or max numbers, which do not correspond to the actual.

It's really stupid that the phone rep had to consult with the tech department and didn't get an answer until the next day. They should just print the numbers on a sheet for the phone person to spit out, but in honesty should say "minimum 2.9." What rubbish. And I though the Valvoline tech line was poor.

Ok, I changed my tune. Castrol's marketing hype is not all that bad, particularly when the bulk of their advertising in my area is during that Extreme 4X4 show with the hottie blond on it. Besides, seeing Danica Patrick in between shows isn't bad either...

Castrol not only brought us synthetic Group III oil at the price of real synthetic oil, but also German Castrol. As soon as GC developed a great reputation it appears that the bean counters dumped it for a new formula. Could it be that no matter how good the technical talent is at Castrol, that the product we see is designed by the bean counters?

I was shocked!
shocked.gif

Castrol called me back today and told me the HT/HS on Castrol GTX and GTX Start UP 10w40 is ........... 2.9!

I know the category minimum is 2.9 for both 10w30 and 10w40, so maybe that is all they care about. Then for 15w40 and 20w50 the minimum jumps to 3.7! That may explain why diesel applications call for 15w40, not 10w40.

I use Castrol GTX 5w30 every 3000 miles in my 104,000 mile '97 Maxima. It still runs good. Therefore, Castrol GTX must be good oil
wink.gif

Actually, I ran several OCI's of Mobil 1 5w30 awhile back, but the engine got louder, with a nice ticking from the top end. A faint, dull thunking appeared in the bottom end, especially right after startup. After 2 UOA's of the Mobil 1 showed elevated iron and lead, I switched back to GTX (which I've run for umpteen years in various vehicles). Interestingly, the sounds have disappeared. Before anyone asks, I do not have a UOA of the GTX. So I'm sticking to the GTX with OEM Nissan filters.

Not to mention that GTX is still less than $2.00/qt, so I can afford 3000 mile OCI's without having to worry about whether my oil will last.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.

Dave

i've posted this before,but since we're on the subject.my hyundai/subaru dealer will only use GTX.they don't even carry syntec.i've also seemed to notice a lot of import dealers only sell/use castrol products.

quote:

I am now running green GC in it but sadly the Jeep is for sale so I doubt I will be getting a UOA on it.

Maybe you should drain off the GC for use in another car and fill the Jeep with whatever is on special this week for under a buck.

Funny how everyone knocks the dino in turbos but the diesel guys run dino in there rigs for 20k + and get buy with anywhere to 500,000 to 1,000,000 plus miles, not to mention all of the idling that goes on. Strange isn't it. The way you guys talk, these motors probably won't make it 75,000 to 100,000. Why the hate for a dino in a turbo car?

Isaac

{QUOTE] Why the hate for a dino in a turbo car? [/QUOTE]

The car guys are Neat Nicks and they hate coke & carbon in their clean little motors?

"BTW, Pride is not a business interest."

It may not be where you work ....but I believe it is an important component to many companies(and employees) not only here in the USA but elswhere in the world as well.

Volatility is a overlooked weakness in this oil and longer term problem. Generally the GTX chemistry is well thought out and garners low wear. Marketing in Walmart type venues is the reason for the weakness in my opinion.

The deposits remind me of conventional SG oils in the 80's. Those using this oil long term with no supporting chemistries lile Auto-RX or Lubecontrol should pull a valve cover and take a look at what I mean. It is thin but noticeable and eventually will show in UOA by insolubles and solids slowly rising if unchecked.

Is any conventional oil that can be used long term without going unchecked as mentioned above?
One that will not cause the insolubles to rise as mentioned? Are Havoline and Mobil Clean
5000 two din's that if used with propper OCI's can be used "unchecked"??

grbr95, In general no oil to date, left alone can maintain a level of cleanliness that I want for my analysis customers and my own cars.

Syn or conventional.

If you are lucky enough to have a really tight built engine, perfectly seated, running super clean and solvent fuels, maybe.

As always I allow analysis to guide that lube regimen decision. Not marketing driven blanket statements for warranty purposes.

Schaeffers and Specialty formulations ( which are only available to high end racers) may be the closest stand alone lubes that I am aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back