Oil Recommendation E85 Subaru STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KL31
If I had a dollar for every person recommending weak sauce islac 5W30 to a WRX owner with mods on bitog...

01.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: KL31
If I had a dollar for every person recommending weak sauce islac 5W30 to a WRX owner with mods on bitog...

01.gif

End result of years of CLAPTRAP about flow=lubrication is hard to counter.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
Best choice by far is Renewable Lubricants 5W40HD

What makes it "best" over something like Mobil Delvac 1?

Performance in the application. ;-)

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Best choice by far is Renewable Lubricants 5W40HD

What makes it "best" over something like Mobil Delvac 1?

Performance in the application. ;-)

Do you have any data to back that up, or are you just another "DENSO" guy?

All I know about RLI 5W-40 is that it's $45/gallon.

Seems like Rotella 5W40 and M1 5W30 ESP were favorites amongst the NASIOC crowd (basically WRX/STI modders).
The latter has a XW40ish HTHS (3.58) and well as a NOACK loss down near 6%. It's a low SAPS passenger diesel oil with a low starting TBN, but that's probably OK for 4kmile changes (unless E85 requires higher TBN for some reason).
Bad thing is that you're generally going to pay boutique oil prices for it in the US.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Seems like Rotella 5W40 and M1 5W30 ESP were favorites amongst the NASIOC crowd (basically WRX/STI modders).
The latter has a XW40ish HTHS (3.58) and well as a NOACK loss down near 6%. It's a low SAPS passenger diesel oil with a low starting TBN, but that's probably OK for 4kmile changes (unless E85 requires higher TBN for some reason).
Bad thing is that you're generally going to pay boutique oil prices for it in the US.

IMO, the only reason that current STI owner's are beginning to use ACEA C3 oils is that they're wanting to run an API SN 5W30 while under warranty. With a modified STI no longer under warranty, and the good old non-DIT EJ engine, a high SAPS ACEA A3/B4 oil while running E85 is a no brainer to me. The 2004 STI manual even allows 10W-40 down to -4F.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back