PCMO has more vs. HDEO in cat killing additives!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've been over this a gazillion times. If you take a HDEO, and change it at 3k miles, then ZDDP and other components become significant gas path contaminants.

If you change a HDEO at a more reasonable interval (ie: 10k+ miles -- very well within the capabilities of XD-3 synth), then the exposure is substantially reduced.

The EPA's efforts to have ZDDP levels reduced in motor oils are mostly due to the propensity of the American motorist to change their oil every 3-5k miles, instead of at, or exceeding their manufacturers' recommendations in terms of mileage. If everyone would change their (synthetic) oil according to the results of UOA, there is no doubt in my mind that ZDDP contamination would not be an issue.

Gazillion & one times now
grin.gif
.Still the GC 0W-30 PCMO has more cat killing additives than the XD-3..YAY/NAY?

Excellent point Blue99, however, I believe one would need to use the same lab, and that lab would have to have enough precision (repeatability) to be able to make any type of determination. I've sent identical samples to three different labs and the reported phosphorus levels varied more than 600ppm.

Greaser, from a product data sheet perspective, I think your theory is correct, that GC has less phorphorus (1000-1100 ppm) than Esso XD-3 (1200-1300ppm).

But the issue really is phosphorus volatility, and if one compares UOA phos levels, it looks like the GC phos levels drop from 1000-1100 to 800-900 ppm.

So the question is more in the direction of which oil has a higher phos depletion rate over a typical 7-10K OCI.

From what I gathered the GC (PCMO) has more zinc & phosphorous as compared to the XD-3(HDEO).As for the depletion rate of both oils,thats lab work for sure.I just want to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get my ZDDP rate down by using PCMO's that have more ZDDP than my XD-3 without ruling in oil additive depletion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back