Is this too much wheel bearing play?

umm... yea. You don't want to feel any movement at all in the bearing when all is right with it. Time for new bearings, add it to the list of whatever else has to be done :)

Trying to imagine how it would make any difference. The hub is pressed into the bearing and the outer CV joint is bolted into the hub so the play would be the same, no?
I agree. Not sure how that would make any difference either.

They are toast regardless.

Did my first ever wheel bearing job a couple months ago, Rockauto was by far the best place to buy good bearings for under $100. Read a lot about brands and saw one of the respected members here used BCA.

I agree. Not sure how that would make any difference either.

They are toast regardless.
Those look like press-in bearings. They are usually smooth & tight when initially pressed in, zero slop. (with no axle nut/torque)
I would trust a used knuckle/bearing assembly in a pinch, but I'd order a new bearing unit while driving on the 'borrowed' unit.
The really bad ones can beat up the knuckle bearing surface too then you're buying more & more. And more.

Trying to imagine how it would make any difference. The hub is pressed into the bearing and the outer CV joint is bolted into the hub so the play would be the same, no?

The bearing races can start come apart if you have been rolling the car around without the axles in it, but I'm guessing that isn't the case?

I was able to get one bearing out of the spindle from my parts car. Will remove the other one too. What brand to put in? Rock Auto has $17 WJB Chinese bearings, or $70 Timken made in Canada. Worth $100 more a pair?

IMG_7150.JPG

Back