Is this normal for a VW catridge filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on the '08 Beetle 2.5l. Oil change interval was 8014 miles with Delo 5w40 Syn and a Champ filter. This is what the filter looked like when it was done. It is a little bit deformed, and it *almost* looks like some of the filter media is being sucked in or pushed into the filter cage on the inside. I am not familiar with VW's and just wondering if this is anything to worry about, and if so, what is going on?

Any sludge in your engine?

Anyway, give the OEM filter a try next time and see how it comes out. It should not be collapsing like this normally.

I wouldn't use a Champ/FRAM filter on this VW application.

Photos of Champion STP filters with similar deformation have been posted on BITOG already.

Stick with OEM, Mahle, or German Mann.

Amazon is your friend for decent pricing on these filters.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Oh great lol I replaced this with a Fram filter...

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Oh great lol I replaced this with a Fram filter...

I don't believe you will have a problem there.

The standard FRAM will do better than the Champion.

It's just that FRAM and Champion now have common ownership.

But I would keep 3 or 4 Mahle filters on the shelf for this car.

I've never seen distortion that bad on any Mann or Mahle filter used on my Jetta TDI. And I usually run longer OCIs than you did. Both Mann and Mahle make very high quality filters, and I agree with the earlier post that recommended them over Fram/Champ in VW applications.

I had that same thing happen using a K&N aftermarket oil filter. What bothered me was the tilt of the end cap caused by the warping. I hope the oil filter cage housing built in to the engine would have kept everything in place so no oil got thru unfiltered.

In your case, I don't see that you were letting unfiltered oil thru, and your end cap tilting wasn't as bad as mine.

Try a Wix or same NAPA Gold oil filter next time.

Are you sure that filter didn't get deformed when cap was being screwed on? Do you lube ends/ top

Inward collapsed cartridge filters seem to occur quite a bit. Could be from them being compressed by the housing cap, and/or the filter loading up and causing high delta-p. If the filter was collapsed a little during the installation, then the delta-p just adds to the inward collapsing movement.

I'm also wondering if the filter bypass valve in the engine is working correctly. Could be the bypass valve is faulty and allowing much higher dealt-p to occur across the filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Inward collapsed cartridge filters seem to occur quite a bit. Could be from them being compressed by the housing cap, and/or the filter loading up and causing high delta-p. If the filter was collapsed a little during the installation, then the delta-p just adds to the inward collapsing movement.

I'm also wondering if the filter bypass valve in the engine is working correctly. Could be the bypass valve is faulty and allowing much higher dealt-p to occur across the filter.

I'm not sure how the filter looked once it was installed. Everything just screwed together and seemed fine. There is a valve in the bottom of the filter cage that I pushed on to make sure it moved, and it did.

That was the first oil change I did on that vehicle (in my possession). Champ filters had always been pretty good in the past, at least their screw on filters. Being the first time I changed it on this car I figured it would be fine. It looked like a quality filter before it was installed. There are not many local choices for these filters. Fram, the dealer (which I may try next time), and Wix. I guess I will see how this Fram works out. I may pull the filter canister after a couple of thousand miles to just to take a peek to see how it is looking.

There are not many local choices for these filters. Fram, the dealer (which I may try next time), and Wix. I guess I will see how this Fram works out.

Was the Fram you used the EG, TG or Ultra?

its normal for a substandard filter in normal use.
when using OE (mann/mahle) it only happens occasionally, and thats only in an extended drain/severe use/cold climate.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There are not many local choices for these filters. Fram, the dealer (which I may try next time), and Wix. I guess I will see how this Fram works out.

Was the Fram you used the EG, TG or Ultra?

They only offer the Extra Guard. USA.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Are you sure that filter didn't get deformed when cap was being screwed on? Do you lube ends/ top

I have had problems with filters not seating all the way into the housing.

When changing this type of filter, you have to make sure that:
1. You clean both filter seating surfaces
2. Liberally lube the ends of the filter
3. Fully insert the filter into the housing
- I give the filter a slight twisting motion to help seat the filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back