Is this a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The little hinged metal flapper that is in the fuel filler neck is missing. Just noticed it at the fillin' station when I wanted to pour in some Techron. I'm not sure how long it's been missing but it can't be more than 2 weeks or so.

Aside from me worrying that the darn thing is sloshing around in the tank could there be any real problems caused by that thing being gone? The cap is of course still there and always on nice and tight.

There's an outside chance you might fail state inspection without it! But I doubt they look anymore with great regularity.

They're concerned about you removing the unleaded restrictor hole; that whatzamajig might count as part of it. Of course they haven't sold leaded gas in a decade but the statute might still be on your state's books.

are you sure you ever had a spring loaded flap?

i noticed that mine was missing until i realized it never came with one
wink.gif

quote:

Aside from me worrying that the darn thing is sloshing around in the tank could there be any real problems caused by that thing being gone?

Not to worry. The metal disc will fall to the lowest part of the tank, and stay there. The fuel pickup has a screen to filter out any large debris.

I love the way I have to jump up and runout in the garage to check my car when I am on this site. Knowing I haven't paid that much attention, I had to check my 02 Cavalier. Sure enough, it has one. The one for my non cat 77 LUV disappeared along with the restrictor back when leaded was cheaper than no lead.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I love the way I have to jump up and runout in the garage to check my car when I am on this site.

lol.gif
I know what you mean!

Thanks for the responses gang. Given that there is a possibility the car may fail inspection now would it be a good idea to have the dealer fix it while the car is still under warranty? I guess they'd have to replace the entire fill neck
dunno.gif
? Not sure I like the sound of them doing that to what is otherwise a perfectly fine automobile but if I don't have it fixed and end up failing inspection when I'm due in two years the repair bill could be on my tab rather than the dealers.

OK, now you all are really getting me crazy! I'm starting to wonder if there ever was one of those things on my car
pat.gif
. I'm fairly certain one used to be there but now I can't say with 100% certainty. LOL Oh man, if my mind is this far gone now what will I be like at 50?

Hey Crossbow.....

I can't believe they would fail you for that in California. If it's what I think it is, it's just either for overflow or vapor capture. That's just a flap, the actual hole itself is the restrictor for unleaded fuel. That part should be welded on to the tank fill neck itself and can't be removed unless via mechanical means. I wouldn't sweat it one bit. No way that would get sucked in to the fuel pump inlet.

In Calif. the car will fail the test. I have used a hammer in flap type thing I picked up at an auto parts store " less $$$ than an oem part" if that is a problem in your state. No problem with the part that is in the tank

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

quote:

I love the way I have to jump up and runout in the garage to check my car when I am on this site.

lol.gif
I know what you mean!

Thanks for the responses gang. Given that there is a possibility the car may fail inspection now would it be a good idea to have the dealer fix it while the car is still under warranty? I guess they'd have to replace the entire fill neck
dunno.gif
? Not sure I like the sound of them doing that to what is otherwise a perfectly fine automobile but if I don't have it fixed and end up failing inspection when I'm due in two years the repair bill could be on my tab rather than the dealers.

If the car is under warranty then by all means get it fixed. No question.
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
LOL Oh man, if my mind is this far gone now what will I be like at 50?

Just take a good look at me next time we go out for a burger and beer,
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif
confused.gif
pat.gif
sleeping.gif
spaz.gif
. That covers some of getting to 50, there's more but I forgot
dunno.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Just take a good look at me next time we go out for a burger and beer,
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif
confused.gif
pat.gif
sleeping.gif
spaz.gif
. That covers some of getting to 50, there's more but I forgot
dunno.gif

Whimsey

lol.gif

Mike,

I'm almost sure the car doesn't have one. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to pour in the FP right before I fill up the tank.

Ah...just went outside and checked. If I get a gas cap cel I'mma gonna kill ya
smile.gif

There is no filler neck flap on my 04 Mazda 6s MTX.

quote:

I love the way I have to jump up and runout in the garage to check my car when I am on this site. Knowing I haven't paid that much attention, I had to check my 02 Cavalier. Sure enough, it has one. The one for my non cat 77 LUV disappeared along with the restrictor back when leaded was cheaper than no lead.

I know what you mean, I went outside last night in my slippers and checked my 3 vehicles and they all had the metal flapper. All Fords, one 1996 and two 2002's. Good Lord I need a life
rolleyes.gif
. Mikep why don't you just call the service dept and see if your model has that metal flap. And tell them your's doesn't have one. If it broke off you don't want it wedging at the base of the fill tube and blocking you from adding gas
shocked.gif
. Plus as you say NJ will most likely fail you when they do the gas cap test if your vehicle is supposed to have one. I'm pretty sure that is part of the pollution control system and safety system if you flip the vehicle over. It'll keep the gas from pouring out anyway. It'll just be a slow trickle
grin.gif

Whimsey

My new Vibe does not have one. It only has 5000 miles so far. I thought it was weird.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
Mike,

I'm almost sure the car doesn't have one. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to pour in the FP right before I fill up the tank.

Ah...just went outside and checked. If I get a gas cap cel I'mma gonna kill ya
smile.gif

There is no filler neck flap on my 04 Mazda 6s MTX.

pat.gif
Oh man, I need a vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back