custom heat shield? heat shield fell off around gas tank

Heat shield fell off rattling under around the gas tank (corolla 2010).

It's a common problem in rust belt, I already secured it with extra large washers a few years back now the bolt holes have got too wide.
and the entire thing is now rusted, can't even be welded or anything.

It is going in the garbage.

A brand new one costs over $200 and I don't want to spend that much on a piece of metal.

I still want a heat shield there to isolate some of the exhaust heat from the plastic gas tank.

I was thinking to used embossed aluminum or use a couple motorocycle exhaust shields installed on the upper half of the exhaust pipe in that area.

Any ideas on a cheap custom heat shield?

Heat shield fell off rattling under around the gas tank (corolla 2010).

It's a common problem in rust belt, I already secured it with extra large washers a few years back now the bolt holes have got too wide.
and the entire thing is now rusted, can't even be welded or anything.

It is going in the garbage.

A brand new one costs over $200 and I don't want to spend that much on a piece of metal.

I still want a heat shield there to isolate some of the exhaust heat from the plastic gas tank.

I was thinking to used embossed aluminum or use a couple motorocycle exhaust shields installed on the upper half of the exhaust pipe in that area.

Any ideas on a cheap custom heat shield?
Don't throw the old one away just yet, I did the larger washer thing too, and the shield has corroded the holes beyond those washers too. But the studs on the body are still there so I ran steel fencing wire between the studs and under the large washers, but over the heat shield. So now the shield basically has to corrode into 3 pieces to fall off now, and it doesn't seem to rattle either. I should have a look at it now, but the wire doesn't seem to rust all that fast, and I've got a big roll of wire!

Don't throw the old one away just yet, I did the larger washer thing too, and the shield has corroded the holes beyond those washers too. But the studs on the body are still there so I ran steel fencing wire between the studs and under the large washers, but over the heat shield. So now the shield basically has to corrode into 3 pieces to fall off now, and it doesn't seem to rattle either. I should have a look at it now, but the wire doesn't seem to rust all that fast, and I've got a big roll of wire!

The shield is done almost crumbled a quarter way through in addition to the bolt holes.

It's rusted to death and I don't want to play with it anymore.

After some thought I think I have decided to purchase a couple of these motorcycle exhaust heat shields. 2 should be enough to trap any heat going around to the gas tank.
They are 15 bucks each on Amazon with the clamps included.

I looked at the price for the OEM Toyota tank heat shield it's about $300. That is freakin crazy.

Appears to be under $200 delivered here if it's the right part:

I don't know the dimensions, nor how much it needs all the bends it has for clearance, but there might be the possibility of just taking some sheet metal and banging out something that fits... though if going to the bother, and considering this rusted out once already, I think I'd go with stainless steel and depending on size, # bends, and mounting, I couldn't tell you what minimum gauge/thickness it would need to be to not flex too much while driving.

I can't see your link to the amazon heat shields, but this is another option, or to take some stainless sheet and make a shield on the exhaust rather than original mount points. You might check the local metal recyclers to see if they have scrap they'd sell cheap. I don't know how much this will mitigate the heat compared to a larger shield.

Last edited:
Perhaps you can go a different route - instead of placing a shield on the tank - put one on or near the exhaust. Same result of blocking exhaust pipe heat to the tank but a different method....and you could use the old shield metal to make it.

Perhaps you can go a different route - instead of placing a shield on the tank - put one on or near the exhaust. Same result of blocking exhaust pipe heat to the tank but a different method....and you could use the old shield metal to make it.

Hey, that's basically what I'm doing.

I purchased two motorcycle exhaust shields for 15 bucks each that will go on the exhaust itself.

The heat shield has mounting spacers that create a little gap (about half inch) between the exhaust and the shield.
And they just clamp on.

It looks like this:
images.jpeg

Appears to be under $200 delivered here if it's the right part:

I don't know the dimensions, nor how much it needs all the bends it has for clearance, but there might be the possibility of just taking some sheet metal and banging out something that fits... though if going to the bother, and considering this rusted out once already, I think I'd go with stainless steel and depending on size, # bends, and mounting, I couldn't tell you what minimum gauge/thickness it would need to be to not flex too much while driving.

I can't see your link to the amazon heat shields, but this is another option, or to take some stainless sheet and make a shield on the exhaust rather than original mount points. You might check the local metal recyclers to see if they have scrap they'd sell cheap. I don't know how much this will mitigate the heat compared to a larger shield.

Where I live with shipping it comes up to over $300

Hey, that's basically what I'm doing.

I purchased two motorcycle exhaust shields for 15 bucks each that will go on the exhaust itself.

The heat shield has mounting spacers that create a little gap (about half inch) between the exhaust and the shield.
And they just clamp on.

It looks like this:
View attachment 175107
I failed reading comprehension with that part where you explained it lol

So I received the shields today and installed them.

My verdict is.

Pros:

- very simple to install, looks good
- heavy gauge stainless steel, won't rust away easily
- will definitely reduce the heat going to the gas tank

Cons:

- would be better if they wrapped around the exhaust pipe little more
- there is one more area that needs to be covered above where the pipe bends,
so obviously this is straight through shield only (I may need to purchase one more shield for that area)

7/10

Back