Is there such a thing as an unreliable U.S. new car today?

I agree, I'm so sick of all the overcomplicated electronic crap that doesn't work for long, is a major pain to fix (designed that way I think 🤔), and expensive as well 👎
I agree about "overcomplicated electronic crap that doesn't work for long".

My inlaws 2013 VW Tourareg has no oil dipstick and the 'electronic' oil level checker no longer works. He has to wait for the 'add oil' light to add a quart (which usually happens at 4 or 5K into the OCI) and is fortunate to have a 7 quart capacity which gives a margin of safety IMO. Another solution in search of a problem IMO is 'electronic parking brakes' and the complication it brings...ie: special equipment to do a rear brake job etc...

Oh yes definitely. Stay away from dual clutch transmission, Jatco (Nissan) CVT with large engine, Hyundai / Kia with engine problem, Tesla if you are annoyed by little things breaking and have to wait for parts and service tech to repair, etc.

I think drivers automotive knowledge has gone down as autus are widely and cheaply available to just about anyone. You can find fault with every single model out there.
I don't know about the "cheaply" part. I think vehicles today are insanely high priced...

There's a guy on YT (Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics) that makes a living fixing electrical problems that the dealership gave up on.
Wait…dealerships can give up on electrical problems? That would have been nice to know when I was a tech 🤣

I always got the ol’ “well get it diagnosed for this hour we quoted and then we’ll build that extra time it took you into the repair”. All good until you spend 3 hours, tracing wires and testing only for the customer to say “oh well it’s not worth paying that just to have (name failed part here) working. I’ll have my brother who’s also my son WiRe iT tO a ToGgLe SwItCh!”

Wait…dealerships can give up on electrical problems? That would have been nice to know when I was a tech 🤣

I get the impression that most of what dealerships give up on are intermittent problems, and it may not be the dealership giving up so much as the customer.

There's also another way a dealership can give up on a problem: Quote the customer a ridiculous price to get it fixed. (This works for many other industries too--don't want the work? Don't tell the potential customer no, just give them a ridiculous price for it!)

There's also another way a dealership can give up on a problem: Quote the customer a ridiculous price to get it fixed. (This works for many other industries too--don't want the work? Don't tell the potential customer no, just give them a ridiculous price for it!)
That’s true I’ve quoted some exhaust manifold jobs as if every stud would break and then need extracted. Usually to those customers who wanna fight over every last cent on a repair. Then if 3 outta 8 break it’s cheaper for them and I spend less time on it win/win.

That is not a new problem.

I remember when a car came up to 70,000 miles it was considered over the hill.
Yep American cars before say 1980 had difficulty getting over 100K
Now they have mega electronics and complexity and 150K miles is nothing.

I am not a BMW hater and I was considering buying her an X3 to replace her '18 Forester XT. I do question their reliability ($$$$) though She wants nothing to do with it..lol

Last edited:
Yep American cars before say 1980 had difficulty getting over 100K
Now they have mega electronics and complexity and 150K miles is nothing.

I am not a BMW hater and I was considering buying her an X3 to replace her '18 Forester XT. I do question their reliability ($$$$) though She wants nothing to do with it..lol

To be fair that was a very, very long time ago. More than half the US population wasn’t even born yet in 1980. Heck many cars still had carburetors. Leaded gasoline could even be found back then. Definitely different times.

This is sort of a "Catch22" thread, you CAN'T put many miles on a new car, it takes TIME.
The record holder for Mercedes is 4,600,000 KM, or 2,858,000 miles. The highest mileage one is in Greece, and is a 1986 Diesel Taxi.
Most HM cars (and trucks) are diesels.

[QUOTE="I Nissan altima
Nissan maxima
Nissan CVTs
Nissan in general

Literally the only halfway reliable Nissan is the GT-R and the Frontier.
[/QUOTE]
Simply not a true statement.
Maxima has always ranked well in reliability in its class, throughout its model years with the exception of the 2002 MY which has not Been for sale for a long time.
Altima does real well in reliability as well.
The engines are about as reliable as the sun, the new CVTs are quite reliable as well.
Problem years for CVTs were those paired with 4 cylinders and in Altima the model years 13,14,15 and those have not been sold for nearly a decade, so are outside the scope of this ocnversation which is about New vehicles.

Name your favorite brand, any brand, and we can find models that had bad reliability years in the past.
New cars, not so much.

PS: I own 2 Nissan SUVs a '11 at 167,xxx and a 08 at 188, xxx miles respectively.
They burn no oil, perfectly shifting original transmissions despite some very hard summer time towing use for the '08/
The '11 had been flogged again and again at 90-100 mph for a half a tank at a time and more while living in germnay driving from Stuttgart to Berlin and back once a month.
On the 11 nothing had ever needed fixing beyond wear items ( brakes/shocks/bushings) until this year (sensors).
I am convinced competing brands would not have done as well with this kind of use.

I did prophylactically replace the radiators and coolant hoses on both (am in Florida).

Last edited:
Simply not a true statement.
Maxima has always ranked well in reliability in its class, throughout its model years with the exception of the 2002 MY which has not Been for sale for a long time.
Altima does real well in reliability as well.
The engines are about as reliable as the sun, the new CVTs are quite reliable as well.
Problem years for CVTs were those paired with 4 cylinders and in Altima the model years 13,14,15 and those have not been sold for nearly a decade, so are outside the scope of this ocnversation which is about New vehicles.

Name your favorite brand, any brand, and we can find models that had bad reliability years in the past.
New cars, not so much.

PS: I own 2 Nissan SUVs a '11 at 167,xxx and a 08 at 188, xxx miles respectively.
They burn no oil, perfectly shifting original transmissions despite some very hard summer time towing use for the '08/
The '11 had been flogged again and again at 90-100 mph for a half a tank at a time and more while living in germnay driving from Stuttgart to Berlin and back once a month.
On the 11 nothing had ever needed fixing beyond wear items ( brakes/shocks/bushings) until this year (sensors).
I am convinced competing brands would not have done as well with this kind of use.

I did prophylactically replace the radiators and coolant hoses on both (am in Florida).
I owned a 2004 Nissan Maxima for 6 years. The only reliable thing about it was the powertrain. Everything else took a dump.

[QUOTE="I I owned a 2004 Nissan Maxima for 6 years. The only reliable thing about it was the powertrain. Everything else took a dump.
[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure the guy you responded to is basing his entire opinion of Nissan off of the Xterra, which along with the Frontier and maybe Cummins Titan are the only reliable Nissans.

Seems everyone has their own biased opinion on which brands are junk. I have a friend who won't buy another Honda CR-V because her door window motor had to be replaced, and I also have a coworker who raves about how awesome her Chevy Equinox has been, even after dropping $10k+ on a new engine when the 3.6L bit the dust from timing chain failure at 80k miles. 🤣🤷‍♂️
Dang I’m helping an equinox owner with their P0420. Shops want $2000+. 2014 with 80k

Dang I’m helping an equinox owner with their P0420. Shops want $2000+. 2014 with 80k
Ouch. Seems early to lose a cat? Maybe it had a lot of misfire codes? hopefully not a dreaded timing chain related event.

Ironic. A 'nox with NOx emission problems... how obnoxious.

Back