Is there still a rental car shortage ?

I buy rentals put up for sale by companies like Enterprise. Hertz hasn't put out a list for months. Enterprise lists had 1300 cars for sale.
Now, 30 cars on the Enterprise list and some with 80,000 miles on them.
Definitely not normal in Canada.
Hertz is still a raging dumpster fire. Avis is real, real sad too. They have no montenance shop in Erie, so all their mechanical vehicles are being dumped at the Pittsburgh Airport location to be fixed. Hertz and Avis have not gotten any new vehicles in a very, very long time.

We still get Chevrolet cargo and 15 passenger vans, Nissan Maximas, Altima’s and Toyota Corollas and Camrys. Life for me is good.

Fort Meyers Airport 2 weeks ago. Rented Alamo for the first time and had a really good experience. Alamo, Hertz, Enterprise lots had a lot of vehicles parked.

The MB we ended up in had 40k miles so it does appear inventory is being held longer.

I have rented from Enterprise for many years. Had a car booked weeks in advance - they called me the day before and said no dice. Took a limo to airport to catch transatlantic flight …

I buy rentals put up for sale by companies like Enterprise. Hertz hasn't put out a list for months. Enterprise lists had 1300 cars for sale.
Now, 30 cars on the Enterprise list and some with 80,000 miles on them.
Definitely not normal in Canada.

Same here. My 2019 Ram 1500 classic came from Enterprise car sales and my 2019 Pathfinder was an ex-rental, but I got it through a local dealer mega-chain. Both were low mileage pre-pandemic good deals @ $27K and $23K.

I doubt the rental vehicle industry will ever be what it was. Like you say, most vehicles for sale through Enterprise are high mileage for an ex-rental and the prices are very high like everything at the moment. $22K for an enterprise ex-rental 2020 Nissan Altima S with 57K miles? Yeah no.

They're going to keep just enough inventory and keep the inventory in service longer. It's going to ruin or atleast vastly change their car sales strategy. It seems a lot of their current inventory is random trade-in or auction buys.

Same here. My 2019 Ram 1500 classic came from Enterprise car sales and my 2019 Pathfinder was an ex-rental, but I got it through a local dealer mega-chain. Both were low mileage pre-pandemic good deals @ $27K and $23K.

I doubt the rental vehicle industry will ever be what it was. Like you say, most vehicles for sale through Enterprise are high mileage for an ex-rental and the prices are very high like everything at the moment. $22K for an enterprise ex-rental 2020 Nissan Altima S with 57K miles? Yeah no.

They're going to keep just enough inventory and keep the inventory in service longer. It's going to ruin or atleast vastly change their car sales strategy. It seems a lot of their current inventory is random trade-in or auction buys.
Yeah, the remarketing Jack off we have at our location is trying to buy used vehicles for the fleet. Whined about price. I laughed in his face and said “yeah, enterprise car sales rips customers off; NOW you’re getting ripped off. I said how does it feel?”

Who new? Would have never guessed that.
Apparently it had a turbo-engine.

The only disconcerting things about it were the exhaust system rattle and engine shutdown at stoplights on level ground. A little brake and a little accelerator pedal pressure cured that.

Back