Is there still a rental car shortage ?

Has any BITOG members notice any rental car shortages at the airport ?

Someone posted a thread a few months ago they had to wait a long time to get their rental car.

Which companies to avoid ?
I always use Enterprise car rental.

It is getting better here. The inventory of cars at the local airport is back to a much closer to normal level.

Granted, a lot of them are Nissan Altimas... but it beats walking.

The Altima has better seats dollar for dollar and makes a good rental car. No CVT reliability issues to worry about being a rental.

Someone posted a thread a few months ago they had to wait a long time to get their rental car.

We have finally been getting more new vehicles. Even the $80k overpriced Jeep Wagoneer III. Looks like a Tahoe

A couple of weeks to ago we had to rent a car from Enterprise to go to Asheville NC for a funeral and the car they gave us was a 4-cylinder Chevy Equinox. When the guy told me it had 61,000 miles on it I balked but I said if that was all they had I would take it as I had no real alternatives at the time. He said they were having a tough time getting new inventory and were keeping cars longer. Well, that was evident.

Anyway, that little grey beast was surprising in terms of performance and fuel mileage - 35+ mpg and ran like a GTO.

I never would have guessed an Equinox could climb the Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina mountains so well and with such acceleration.

I buy rentals put up for sale by companies like Enterprise. Hertz hasn't put out a list for months. Enterprise lists had 1300 cars for sale.
Now, 30 cars on the Enterprise list and some with 80,000 miles on them.
Definitely not normal in Canada.

I buy rentals put up for sale by companies like Enterprise. Hertz hasn't put out a list for months. Enterprise lists had 1300 cars for sale.
just curious... when the rental companies liquidated their inventories last year when covid shut everything down, where did the vehicles go?

Not at FLL and PBI (unless you are particular about getting exact models). been to south Florida 3 times since Labor Day.

As for companies----IMO, there is no ironclad rule with rental car companies. especially lately given that (from what I saw) ALL the rental companies were short-staffed at one time or another at both the pick-up and drop-off...Hertz, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Sixt, all hit or miss.

you may want to avoid taking a late arrival to your destination if you hate lines, the graveyard shift seemed particularly understaffed. and be prepared for any unexpected delays.

And if you're ever in south Florida, the people waiting at the Fox rental car counter seemed extra annoyed.

Sixt, Suburban w/6,000? miles
Hertz, QX60 w/40,000? miles (2nd row rattled)
Budget, Challenger w/25,000 miles (front axle felt worn)

Last edited:
just curious... when the rental companies liquidated their inventories last year when covid shut everything down, where did the vehicles go?
They sold them to the public. As I recall there were a few threads on here at the time and they seemed to offer them to the public at a pretty good discount at the time. Of course you knew that once the pandemic was over there was going to be a shortage but I guess at the time they didn't have a choice, either sell the cars or go out of business right there and then. Sales were good because while people were driving less, a percentage of those that took public transportation bought up the cars and stopped taking it and ridership numbers still haven't recovered yet.

Really not picky what type of vehicle I get, as long as I have something to drive.

A couple of weeks to ago we had to rent a car from Enterprise to go to Asheville NC for a funeral and the car they gave us was a 4-cylinder Chevy Equinox. When the guy told me it had 61,000 miles on it I balked but I said if that was all they had I would take it as I had no real alternatives at the time. He said they were having a tough time getting new inventory and were keeping cars longer. Well, that was evident.

Anyway, that little grey beast was surprising in terms of performance and fuel mileage - 35+ mpg and ran like a GTO.

I never would have guessed an Equinox could climb the Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina mountains so well and with such acceleration.
Who new? Would have never guessed that.

Hertz is still a raging dumpster fire. Avis is real, real sad too. They have no maintenance shop in Erie, so all their mechanical vehicles are being dumped at the Pittsburgh Airport location to be fixed. Hertz and Avis have not gotten any new vehicles in a very, very long time.

We still get Chevrolet cargo and 15 passenger vans, Nissan Maximas, Altima’s and Toyota Corollas and Camrys. Life for me is good.

Back