Is there really alot of differance

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you did have a engine problem do you really think the dealer would know you had 5w30 in the engine?? I don't think they would say sh$t.

The dealership i work for owns a Dodge dealership next town over and the techs say they can tell on the scan tool by a flow rate whether the vehicle has 5w20 or not one customer had a drivability problem from using 5w30 i understand that Dodges from 2008 forward cannot use 5w30 in place of 5w20 without drivability issues is what i have been told from our Chrysler techs

Originally Posted By: 3forever
The dealership i work for owns a Dodge dealership next town over and the techs say they can tell on the scan tool by a flow rate whether the vehicle has 5w20 or not one customer had a drivability problem from using 5w30 i understand that Dodges from 2008 forward cannot use 5w30 in place of 5w20 without drivability issues is what i have been told from our Chrysler techs

This post makes my brain hurt. Periods and capital letters help.
Op. You will have no issues using a 30 grade other than perhaps a very slight drop in fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
This post makes my brain hurt.

Mine too, but for other reasons. I suspect it would be possible to determine from oil pressure and temperature what grade a vehicle is using. That's assuming a lot of things though. They'd need accurate specifications (which a Dodge dealer should have for Dodge vehicles), ensure that the oil temperature is where it should be, have a known tolerance for their measurement error and the tolerance on the pressure specifications, know RPM accurately and reliably, knowing whether the oil is either oxidized or sheared, and so forth. If such a test were done at an oil's operating temperature, how would they be sure if it were a straight 20, a 0w-20, or a 5w-20? Again, it could be done, but that would mean more testing.

Geeze, why send a sample away for UOA to determine shear or thickening when you can just go to the Chrysler dealer and hook up a scan tool?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: 3forever

This post makes my brain hurt. Periods and capital letters help.
Op. You will have no issues using a 30 grade other than perhaps a very slight drop in fuel economy.

I really doubt this.
You'd have to control for temperature as well as the shearing or oxidation of the oil.
There's too much potential variation to know with any certainty whether an engine is running a twenty or a thirty grade based upon anything you could get from a scan tool.
A fifty grade?
I'd buy that as a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back