Is there really a shortage of truck drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New rule went into effect earlier this year, if your a felon you can't get a CDL. Ex-felons often drive trucks as it's a good living. Totally not right, that your a felon for life, pay your time, you should be free.
I would surmise that this is probably due to many companies having to not only insure but bond their drivers. Some trailer loads are worth many thousands of dollars, sometimes millions, a bondable driver becomes a necessity for insurance. The transportation companies don't want the risk. It's going to get even more interesting as more states legalize recreational marijuana and drug testing becomes mandatory as marijuana is still illegal on a federal level and the trucking companies are involved in interstate commerce.

Nope my dad is a truck driver. No shortage at least not with his company. His company has more drivers than they do trailers so you definitely don’t want to lose your trailer which you will if it sets for 11 days. Fortunately he is on a regular run from Lynchburg Virginia to Carlisle Pennsylvania. Does three loads a week there and back. The problem is if there is a shortage is lack of training he has seen many people turned loose with CDL that weren’t ready then have torn stuff up and end up no longer being a truck driver. I think you now only have to be 21 to get a CDL which is too young in my and my dads opinions. He had to wait till he was 23 to get his.
You can get a CDL @18. You can't leave your state till 21

My neighbor makes $28/hr in nice working conditions 7.5hrs/day with full benefits for pharmaceutical manufacturing ensuring equipment is clean and compliant. Why on earth would she want to drive a truck? Her job did not require skill just a high school diploma.

She used to be a restaurant host. She recruited her siblings into pharma manufacturing which pays $25/hr+. The cruddy jobs laid people off during pandemic and some people skilled up or were seeking better opportunities. Yes some collected but that was minority despite what the noisy cable news feeds you.

madRiver,

Does she work for the manufacturer or a staffing agency ?

You wouldn't know that there is a truck driver shortage if you drive any distance on the Interstate highways, some highway routes (like I40) are literally PACKED with trucks 24/7. The one thing that you will easily notice is that MANY of the truck drivers on the road now days are VERY discourteous.

Truck driving typically didn't pay much in the past. I can remember older guys complaining even as little as 10 years ago about the low pay and terrible hours. Alot of people decided it wasn't a viable career path. Now there aren't any truckers to be had.

You think college kids sit around doing nothing between classes? These days a lot of them know what they are doing instead of partying and drinking, they would either take more classes so they can graduate sooner, or they learn highly paid skills like coding, so they can find better jobs in the future. (we have a hard time hiring any new grad below 100k and some I heard got pouched away at 200k after 1 year). Why wouldn't they speed up their studies so they can make them sooner?

For the same amount of effort truckers are doing, the good paying jobs would end up paying 200k+ after some training. If you have to get CDL then why not study well in school and get a good tech job? Oh, you can work remotely and probably get a 30% paycut if you are not lucky, still better than on the road for weeks.

BTW, if it is so simple to train them to do these jobs why don't employers pay internship to train these guys then pay them enough to stay on afterward? No one wants to train anyone but they want to pay just minimal, already trained employees.
Who said college kids were sitting around. I guess when I went to school I had to get a job or I didn't have a place to stay or food to eat. Not everyone can get 100% tuition paid. Not everyone is making 200K outside of Silicon Valley either.

New rule went into effect earlier this year, if your a felon you can't get a CDL. Ex-felons often drive trucks as it's a good living. Totally not right, that your a felon for life, pay your time, you should be free.
Isn't that only if the felony involved controlled substances or a driving violation?

You wouldn't know that there is a truck driver shortage if you drive any distance on the Interstate highways, some highway routes (like I40) are literally PACKED with trucks 24/7. The one thing that you will easily notice is that MANY of the truck drivers on the road now days are VERY discourteous.
As are most drivers in passenger vehicles.

I think you now only have to be 21 to get a CDL which is too young in my and my dads opinions. He had to wait till he was 23 to get his.

So an 18 year old can join the military, get trained up and go to war but can't get trained well enough to drive a truck until 23? Not buying that.

Driving truck is a tough job no doubt about it. I don't know how it's thought of now but in my younger days back in Pa when I knew lots of people the drivers I knew did it because 1.) it was the best job they could get or 2.) it was a last chance job after losing whatever labor class job they had and lost. I can think of nobody who always wanted to be a truck driver but I'm sure there are some. They accepted the pay and working conditions because it was better than nothing. Things are different now with younger workers it seems.

Last edited:
So an 18 year old can join the military, get trained up and go to war but can't get trained well enough to drive a truck until 23? Not buying that.

Driving truck is a tough job no doubt about it. I don't know how it's thought of now but in my younger days back in Pa when I knew lots of people the drivers I knew did it because 1.) it was the best job they could get or 2.) it was a last chance job after losing whatever labor class job they had and lost. I can think of nobody who always wanted to be a truck driver but I'm sure there are some. They accepted the pay and working conditions because it was better than nothing. Things are different now with younger workers it seems.
An 18 year old can join the military, but he won't be in charge of much at that age.

Maybe in 3-5 years he would be a CPL or SGT in an infantry platoon. But until then, he's going to be a PVT of some sort.

Kind of the same thing here. One is not going to put an 18 year old in charge of a million dollars worth of merchandise and turn them loose alone on the road.

They can drive for agricultural purposes, but not over the road.

I can see the reasons for this. But should the 18 year old who is in the military be able to buy a beer? Yep! He's in charge of himself and his sobriety, that's all in that circumstance.

It dawned on me that the UK is having the same issue here. Not enough folks in the trucking industry and now they have good shortages.

Key takeaway: "...Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng told the BBC on 10 October, two weeks after the 5,000 extra visas were announced, that there had only been about 27 applications."

I doubt these are poverty wages in the UK, so it's likely folks not wanting to do this sort of work in the 21st Century.

There is definitely a shortage of qualified drivers. When I got my CDL 25 years ago I had to know how to adjust brakes,look for missing cotter pins and drove a manual. Most new drivers can't do these 3 things.

I wonder how many young people even know what a cotter pin is?

Going back to the late 70’s trucking was booming. The interstate highways were making It possible to move big loads by truck, the turbo diesels we’re getting more powerful, and the sleeper units were more comfortable. The oldest boomers were only in heir 30’s and trucking was romanticized by TV shows and songs on the radio. A lot has changed.
91W2u594QEL._SL1500_.jpg

It dawned on me that the UK is having the same issue here. Not enough folks in the trucking industry and now they have good shortages.

Key takeaway: "...Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng told the BBC on 10 October, two weeks after the 5,000 extra visas were announced, that there had only been about 27 applications."

I doubt these are poverty wages in the UK, so it's likely folks not wanting to do this sort of work in the 21st Century.
Yeah, the whole 5k visa thing sounded like just posturing. Who in their right mind would want to move to another country for basically the same wages and only be able to work there for 3 months. I'm not surprised at the 3 months. Now they expanded I think to 6 months. But still many of the same problems.

Isn't that only if the felony involved controlled substances or a driving violation?
Looks as if that's correct, but some sources online say each state can be stricter on CDLs. In a quick search I could not find a state that prohibited all felons from having CDLs.

Flat legal prohibitions from allowing a felon to work a particular job that has nothing to do with his past conviction are not constructive policies in my view. People should be able to start over and make a decent living doing something. Prohibiting all felons from driving trucks by a law seems excessive.

Websites do point out that felons will still have a hard time finding a job with most trucking companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back