Is there really a shortage of truck drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep hearing about a lack of truck drivers as a reason for shortages and empty shelves.

My employer deals with several major carriers, including a national contract with TForce, which was formerly UPS Freight until TFI International bought it from UPS this year. The TForce drivers tell me they're being called before time to come to work some days to ask if they want to take that day off. Many of them had accrued vacation time when UPS Freight was crazy busy. Now they're being asked to take time off because work is slow.

The drivers say TForce has become slow because the company has become "more selective" about the kinds of freight it will accept so it can avoid claims. Many of the freight-terminal personnel have gone from 12–hour days under UPS Freight to just 4–hour days now. The drivers fear layoffs are looming.

This seems to contradict the claims about a lack of drivers. What are you seeing?

And why can't a lot of the cross-country freight go on choo-choo trains anyway? :)

Short everywhere…”The Petoskey Chamber of Commerce held a virtual job fair last week, where 60 employers were looking to fill almost 500 positions between them.“ Link below…

Short everywhere…”The Petoskey Chamber of Commerce held a virtual job fair last week, where 60 employers were looking to fill almost 500 positions between them.“ Link below…

Four people showed up…

Not much of a shortage in eastern Canada. There is a constant stream of south Asian immigrants ready to fill these jobs. Not to be racist, just saying they are filling an important need in Canada’s economy.

I don't have data, but I've read that over the road truck drivers have been dwindling for decades. The average age is something crazy like north of 50 years... All it takes is a bunch of retirements, and the industry goes from trouble to emergency.

Yes I work for a carrier and there is a pretty large CDL-qualified driver shortage because of Boomers and Gen X retiring and Gen Y (Millennials) favoring higher education over blue-collar work.

It's not anecdotal, its data.

The drivers say TForce has become slow because the company has become "more selective" about the kinds of freight it will accept so it can avoid claims. Many of the freight-terminal personnel have gone from 12–hour days under UPS Freight to just 4–hour days now. The drivers fear layoffs are looming.

And why can't a lot of the cross-country freight go on choo-choo trains anyway? :)
Not surprising. Some product (big screen TV's, glass, excessively long shipments) are prone to damage and sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Some companies also bill on density, so the bigger and lighter, the less profitable.

Yes, cross-country freight can take trains, but they take longer.

I don't have data, but I've read that over the road truck drivers have been dwindling for decades. The average age is something crazy like north of 50 years... All it takes is a bunch of retirements, and the industry goes from trouble to emergency.
and if you think a good share of those close to retirement age didn't take that opportunity, instead of dealing with the mess of Myriad local rules and restrictions last year/earlier this year....they you're deluding yourself.

I even saw it in my industry (retail).. folks taking early retirement buy outs, instead of dealing with mandates/restrictions.

bet even more people are taking those offers now that certain employers requiring certain vaccinations as terms of employment.

People would rather smoke dope than pass the drug tests to get a CDL.
my brother in law is in the local laborers union, and there were a number of folks near enough to retirement age last year, that went ahead and retired, and their first comments were about never having to take another drug test....

Here where I am the local companies have huge Drivers Wanted signs. I saw that some are offering $5k to $10k sign-on bonuses. I am the only driver for my Company. My Boss just gave me $3hr to keep me on board. I only drive part-time at my job. I do other work on Radar Systems when not driving.

There is no driver shortage, only a pay shortage. Long hours, poor working conditions, and they're treated poorly. Until those things are fixed, the "shortage" will not end.

It is also possible that TFI pays less than UPS pays their drivers. UPS is union. I don't know about TFI

Pay them well, treat them with respect, and they should be able to fill the jobs easily. This doesn't only apply to drivers; it applies to any job they have trouble filling. And like someone else already said, a delay anywhere in the supply chain will cause a delay in the entire chain. Something upstream of the freight terminals can cause it, too. If there is no freight to move, there is no work for the drivers.

GM held a job fair in Flint a while back to fill 800 jobs, they barely scraped 200 out of that. But but but.... its the lack of jobs killing Flint.

There is a shortage of workers willing to take these low tier/paying and honestly hard on you jobs. It’s an employee market and employers need to learn to better hold onto their workers or suffer/dwindle.
These people didn't all go to school and become doctors in the past 1.5 years? I get that a lot retired, but what is everyone else doing that nobody can hire anyone? I don't think there are that many more jobs now than there were before March 2020.

Long haul truckers work 60-70 hours per week crisscrossing the country. They are definitely underpaid.

Very long wait times (unpaid) to get loaded / unloaded, limited parking at night, lots of rules the DOT enforcement goes overboard on while reckless drivers in automobiles cut them off.

Some new CDL truckers stay only for 2 years and then leave the industry.

I got lots of respect for all truckers especially the long haul drivers that are on the road for 6-7 weeks...... then go home to rest for 2 weeks.

👍

Last edited:
They are getting their wish of everyone relying on the government.
The older population who used to take the lowly jobs have retired and moved on. A massive vacuum in the entry level jobs has raised the wage enough to businesses able to realize they underpaid or did not appreciate staff.

It so bad my niece who was fired age 15 due customer complaint on something minor had the same manager call her back a month later asking her to return. Sassy niece said yes if she got a $5/hr pay increase to $17/hr and they obliged. Crazy market!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back