Is there any practical benefit to letting a passenger car oil warm up before driving?

My engine revs very high at cold start, maybe 1500-1800 rpm and then slowly settles down to 1000 rpm before warmup, usually does this about 30 seconds so I give it that much time before driving off. I try to keep below 2500 rpm if possible before the temperature gauge is in the middle.
Liekwise. First cold start is about 1850 RPMS for me, then after 30 secs its down to 1K, and its time to drive. takes about 30 secs to put on belt, check mirrors, set radio/ heat, and im off. I also really try to keep it under about 2800K for 10-15 driving mins, but being a 4 cylinder non turbo its kinda hard lol. If it let it idle to warm up it will take a solid 10-15 mins depending on outside temp, but driving it about 5 mins and i have full heat.

I start the engine, put my belt on and drive off. In winter I'll do the same unless I need to shovel the driveway or there's ice on the inside of the windshield. Then I just turn it on 'till I'm done or whatever needs melting has melted. Once or twice a year that can take 30 minutes (40 yesterday on the Tucson). I'm not worried about engine longevity. After 12 years my Jetta's engine is the only thing that actually works properly on that car.

Liekwise. First cold start is about 1850 RPMS for me, then after 30 secs its down to 1K, and its time to drive. takes about 30 secs to put on belt, check mirrors, set radio/ heat, and im off. I also really try to keep it under about 2800K for 10-15 driving mins, but being a 4 cylinder non turbo its kinda hard lol. If it let it idle to warm up it will take a solid 10-15 mins depending on outside temp, but driving it about 5 mins and i have full heat.
Wait till you start it below 0°f, it will idle high for dang near two minutes.

Thats total BS nonsense. I have lived in cold climates all my life. No computer controlled engine is going to sit revving at 1800-1900 rpm for 30 minutes. More like 1500 rpm for 2 minutes then down to a normal idle. My 4.8 V8 had no troubles starting in Thompson MB. None. My Ranger 4.0 had no issues either.
normal idle after 2 minutes for an unplugged 2021 mazda 3 turbo at -44 celcius without wind chill? of course 😆. i do start and go at that temperature 😆. the car is instantly ready to ride.😆.

No benefit unless you like wasting fuel. A half minute should get the juices flowing.
At the most.
You'd warm it up quicker by driving around. I let it sit for a minute at most, usually 30 seconds.

Driving off after 5 seconds is asking for problems, and waiting 5 minutes would waste your time.
I drive off after 5 seconds usually, that's about how much time it takes to move from the key to the shifter..

Drive slow, or at least don't let the revs get too high, will warm the car faster.

Again, not a practical choice in some areas (either due to geography (hilly), or "people" attitude).
I did used to let my car warm up for about 30 seconds before moving it, up to about a minute.

My car "tells" me how cold it is outside by how slow the starter cranks on first start. was 16 degrees this morning, maybe colder.. I have the luxury of letting the car essentially coast to the first light, maybe pressing the gas twice to engage it to 2nd as I have an auto trans, however, I can agree, maybe a quick warm-up, if it is not possible for a gradual road warm-up.

Just don't redline it from ice cold, that is asking for trouble.

I have a digital display that shows the oil and coolant temps of my car. If I let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before leaving (mainly to help clear ice off the windshield) the temps will barely change compared to the 1 mile drive down my street.

Warming up the car before driving does nothing beneficial for the engine itself. Driving easy for the first few miles until everything reaches operating temp is ideal, and you'll reach that temp much faster than you would just idling in the driveway wasting fuel.

My car, a BMW M240i, will idle at about 1300rpm after every start. The engine then will slowly decrease the revs until they reach ~750rpm. The reason that the engine is programmed to do this-regardless of the engine temperature-is to ensure that oil is getting to the turbo quickly. Once the engine is idling at ~750rpm I drive gently for the next mile or so.

My car, a BMW M240i, will idle at about 1300rpm after every start. The engine then will slowly decrease the revs until they reach ~750rpm. The reason that the engine is programmed to do this-regardless of the engine temperature-is to ensure that oil is getting to the turbo quickly. Once the engine is idling at ~750rpm I drive gently for the next mile or so.
Oil will get to the turbo fairly quickly regardless, the main reason is for emissions and to heat up the cat convertors faster.

I used too back in my early driving days. Now no more that 30 secs. By the time I get on the main road the water temp is starting to move. That’s on a below freezing day.

I'm not a warmer-upper. I will start an engine and let it run as I clear the glass.

What I was turned onto early on was the flat spots on tires on cold mornings. I was instructed to feel the tum, tum, tum of the flats as I drove off steadily. I was told to go real easy on the flat spotted tires as the spots vanish soon enough. A nice, mellow take off is what I do religiously.

As @jeepman3071 said, oil is there in no time and reason are catalytic converters.
But, IMO BMW should be driven moderately far longer than a mile. They have really big oil sumps and while coolant in BMW warms up really fast, oil lags a lot.
In average BMW at let’s say 30 degrees you need at least 7-8 miles for oil to reach operating temperature.

Back