Is there any bad oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I read on BITOG pretty often, people recommend nearly any oil, from every type of Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, Castrol, Chevron, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and Super Tech. Since they're all nearly equally recommended, is there any oil that isn't very good? Why? Any oil you would never put in your engine?

Last edited:
The only oils that are bad are City Star and other similar dollar store garbage that don't meet current API specs. If it meets current API specs, it's not a bad oil and I wouldn't hesitate to use any brand in my engines.

I think a good read here would reveal that some engines like some oils more than others...among oils of the same weight range, similar "additive pack" formulation, and even within the same brands....it doesn't make one "bad"...just that engines have preferences...

Is there any particular brand that's hanging over your head that you're hesitant to use ? Perhaps we can help out if you're willing to share with us.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I read on BITOG pretty often, people recommend nearly any oil, from every type of Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, Castrol, Chevron, Valvoline, Motorcraft, and Super Tech. Since they're all nearly equally recommended, is there any oil that isn't very good? Why? Any oil you would never put in your engine?

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
I think a good read here would reveal that some engines like some oils more than others...among oils of the same weight range, similar "additive pack" formulation, and even within the same brands....it doesn't make one "bad"...just that engines have preferences...

The other day there was a thread about fact vs opionion on BITOG. I will never believe that an engine likes or has a preference for a different oil.

Any name brand oil with proper API certified is good. Pennzoil, Mobil, Quaker State, Castrol, Chevron, Havoline, Valvoline, Motorcraft ... are all good. I buy any one of those on price.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

The other day there was a thread about fact vs opionion on BITOG. I will never believe that an engine likes or has a preference for a different oil.

The biggest issue would probably be that even if one particular product was the best or among the best, that would change as soon as it's reformulated for the next API cycle.

I remember when the flavor of the month was "German Castrol", where the board went nuts as soon as it obviously changed formulation.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The only oils that are bad are City Star and other similar dollar store garbage that don't meet current API specs. If it meets current API specs, it's not a bad oil and I wouldn't hesitate to use any brand in my engines.

This. UOA after UOA proves that any name brand oil in the correct grade is fine.

Want to do you car a favor? Check and make sure its topped up. After that, change it at a reasonable interval. for 80% of us, 7,000 miles is just fine.

Stay with the name brand oils(dino & syn) and try using the latest API Cert(SM/GF-5) and proper type(5W20/5W30 or 0W**) and sleep well!

I keep checking and my Buick won't consume any oil. I have an itch to top it off. Think I'm going to change the filter to see if I can get rid of my startup noise and relieve my itch to top it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back