Has Valvoline ever been an "oem" oil?

In typical OEM/oil company partnerships the OEM endorses a brand in return for better pricing and promotion developed specifically for their service departments.
Yep it's like always thought. It's about adding lettuce to the ledger. (y)

Valvoline is still recommended by Cummins. They’ve been our technical partner for over a very long time, 60+ years. They developed some specific oils for our Natural Gas engines and the Restore oil when we first had some carbon packing issues in the 15L. We pretty much use the One Solution oil for everything now though, CNG and Diesel engines alike. There are a few industrial engines that take mono grade and some specific oils, we have Valvoline specific oils for those too.

I believe they were preferred for Volkswagens before mk4. I may be wrong though. Anybody remember?

As to the second point from OP, I believe the Wawa's (big regional convenience store ranked #10 in CSP's size rankings by locations) in my area here carry Valvoline, as does Pilot truck stops

Yes Cummins recommended Valvoline for as long as I can remember. I’m 64 and have had a full career in Fleet Management. Our mixed Fleet ran Valvoline All Fleet (bulk-contract) and never had any oil related issues. Not sure why but in my short time following this forum, Valvoline isn’t a favorite here. All oils today are fairly equal in my opinion. There was a time though that Techs that I knew and respected wouldn’t use anything but Valvoline.

Here they state some strange things. Mentioned Castrol but not what kind. Says Mazda oil is ”required” for fuel economy.
In various Ford owner's manuals from EU countries, they literally endorse Castrol oil. They recommend it and say the engine "was designed for it" or similar wording.

Cummins has a marketing deal with Vavoline. But, Cummins does ship engines dry to their clients. PACCAR puts a sticker on their trucks stating Chevron Delo is factory fill - Cummins or in-house powered. I have a feeling Gillig, a bus maker in Livermore, CA also fills every bus that leaves their plant with Delo. Ditto with the marketing between Mercedes and GM with XOM, Castrol with VAG(except for Bentley, Lambo/Ducati and Bugatti)/JLR/Volvo/BMW(was Shell) and Shell with Ferrari and Hyundai.

Since Vavoline is in Lexington, Kentucky and so is Toyota and Ford out of Georgetown and Louisville, it would make sense Vavoline could be OE fill if JIT logistics is to be believed. However, Toyota is tight with XOM and Idemitsu.

Since Vavoline is in Lexington, Kentucky and so is Toyota and Ford out of Georgetown and Louisville, it would make sense Vavoline could be OE fill if JIT logistics is to be believed.
Valvoline doesn't appear to have any production or distribution facilities in KY. No need for JIT in this scenario either. The oil supplier likely places large, bulk tanks on-site and the automaker uses it as needed and the oil company bills them weekly, monthly, etc based on what's been used.

Back