Has Valvoline ever been an "oem" oil?

Endorsed/recommended by oems? I've seen these stamped on oil fill caps and recommended in owner's manuals. GM had M1, Audi had Castrol, Hyundai had Quaker State, Dodge had Pennzoil, etc. I can't recall ever seeing Valvoline recommended by an oem. I've also never seen Valvoline in any convenience stores or gas stations.

1652316952079.png

Precisely, plus if you use certain Valvoline oils Cummins allows for longer drain intervals.

Endorsed/recommended by oems?
I am willing to bet it's the opposite - the oil manufacturer pays the automaker to say they recommend it. It has little to do with the quality or lack of quality of an oil either. They're all perfectly fine, quality oils that automakers won't have any concerns about using.

I am willing to bet it's the opposite - the oil manufacturer pays the automaker to say they recommend it. It has little to do with the quality or lack of quality of an oil either. They're all perfectly fine, quality oils that automakers won't have any concerns about using.
Actually, many times, if not most, it's a technical relationship between the OEM and the blender and they do work on product development, testing, engine testing...etc. Mobil has been deeply involved in the Corvette racing program, the Porsche racing program and the AMG program.

Castrol had a very long partnership with BMW which involved a lot of race program work as well.

Yes you worded it better. The oil co's pay the oems to endorse their oils. Probably the best advertising ever!

I had a neighbor many years ago that had a 1985 Volvo. The oil fill cap said "Castrol 20W50".

My local Hyundai dealer years back when Hyundai first partnered up with Quaker state decided to carry all valvoline products advertisements signs etc all over the service department it really wigged customers out. Well the ones that read the owners manual and saw the blurb Quaker state recommended.

In the late eighties, Cadillacs and Corvettes came with Mobile 1 synthetic. Very few engine warranty claims for years. at the Cadillac shop.

In typical OEM/oil company partnerships the OEM endorses a brand in return for better pricing and promotion developed specifically for their service departments.

Back