Is tech making our youth dumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merk. That website is full of malware. My computer nearly nuked itself when I attempted to click on that link.

Merk I honestly recommend you do not visit that site again and scan your PC for malware.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Thanks for the warning Dave. I'm on an Apple computer, so I didn't notice any malware.

No worries. I hope your Apple did not pick up an STI.

Wrong!
We enjoy and benefit from vast access to information.
We (and our youth) must still apply critical thinking skills to what we observe on the screen.
An online game is no less mindless than a game of pickup basketball, although the physical pursuits that I and others of my generation enjoyed as youth were at least good for overall conditioning as well as keeping generally fit and trim.
The online generation may be heavier, physically weaker and less aerobically fit, but they aren't dumber.

If you guys ever want to learn about the evil people running this world, go to YouTube and punch in these Keywords:

1. Bilderberg Group
2. Council on Foreign Relations
3. Trilateral Commission
4. Federal Reserve
5. North American Union
6. One World Government
7. New World Order
8. Global Elite
9. Global Governance
10. Illuminati
11. Rothschild
12. Rockefeller

All of those people want to keep the general population as dumbed down as possible.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wrong!
We enjoy and benefit from vast access to information.
We (and our youth) must still apply critical thinking skills to what we observe on the screen.
An online game is no less mindless than a game of pickup basketball, although the physical pursuits that I and others of my generation enjoyed as youth were at least good for overall conditioning as well as keeping generally fit and trim.
The online generation may be heavier, physically weaker and less aerobically fit, but they aren't dumber.
I disagree, although the games may be the same as mindless play. Kids just don't care how mechanical things work and most have the "Just Call Someone" mentality. When most of us were kids, we didn't have the "Gadgets" and to figure things out was a challenge. Now to jailbreak a phone is what they consider a challenge. As a father of two kids and I used to make my son work constantly with me in the garage. It would have ben my dream growing up for my Dad to have a garage full of atvs to play with and work on. He is much more interested in instagram, youtube and worthless fiddling. His fan light recently burned out and he told me about it, light still works in my room, you deal with it. Turns out it was the whole light assembly, not just the bulb, still I told him, you deal with it or sit in the dark, he did for awhile, then he went to Lowes and got a new fan light kit and fixed it. Most parents don't even force their kids that hard. A lot of his friends don't even know what "Vise Grips" are, unless they look it up on their phone.

Also, I have found garage time a excellent punishment tool, better than grounding. When he misbehaves, he usually finds himself replacing a CV joint or transmission. He knows how, but he hates it, he would rather do "Fun Stuff". Too much like work, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I disagree, although the games may be the same as mindless play. Kids just don't care how mechanical things work and most have the "Just Call Someone" mentality. When most of us were kids, we didn't have the "Gadgets" and to figure things out was a challenge. Now to jailbreak a phone is what they consider a challenge. As a father of two kids and I used to make my son work constantly with me in the garage. It would have ben my dream growing up for my Dad to have a garage full of atvs to play with and work on. He is much more interested in instagram, youtube and worthless fiddling. His fan light recently burned out and he told me about it, light still works in my room, you deal with it. Turns out it was the whole light assembly, not just the bulb, still I told him, you deal with it or sit in the dark, he did for awhile, then he went to Lowes and got a new fan light kit and fixed it. Most parents don't even force their kids that hard. A lot of his friends don't even know what "Vise Grips" are, unless they look it up on their phone.

Knowing what vise grips are is less relevant today than ever before. In fact, knowing how to operate an IDE or navigate a file system via shell commands are skills that will better serve young people today.

Also, I know of at least one study that shows video games as a positive for brain development. You may view them as wastes of time, but in reality most are highly elaborate puzzles. Heck, even the dumbest ones help you hone your reflexes and quick decision making skills.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Merk. That website is full of malware. My computer nearly nuked itself when I attempted to click on that link.

Merk I honestly recommend you do not visit that site again and scan your PC for malware.

Norton Safe Web-website check--- publicintelligence.net

I just checked out the site using Norton Safe Web and it shows no
issues whatsoever. Not only that it is a https site which means it is secured as well.

I went to the site and have had no issues at all and I checked with several malware scanners as well.

What I see is a society which is taught NOT to have or use
God given innate curiosity, and critical thinking skills.
On the contrary, make sure you ALWAYS look to the "experts" to tell you what to think, how to act, what is important.

Merkava 4 is right though. When children are sent to the
"public fool" system they are being groomed to be
good little serfs in the New World Order. The elite are not fools themselves, they know that this "conditioning" will take decades to achieve their goal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Not only that it is a https site which means it is secured as well.

https only means that the data traffic that runs between your computer and the site is encrypted; NOT that the site itself is run by good guys.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Not only that it is a https site which means it is secured as well.

https only means that the data traffic that runs between your computer and the site is encrypted; NOT that the site itself is run by good guys.

The site is clean too.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Knowing what vise grips are is less relevant today than ever before. In fact, knowing how to operate an IDE or navigate a file system via shell commands are skills that will better serve young people today.

Also, I know of at least one study that shows video games as a positive for brain development. You may view them as wastes of time, but in reality most are highly elaborate puzzles. Heck, even the dumbest ones help you hone your reflexes and quick decision making skills.
And if a solar flare knocks out all that technology tomorrow, what then, vise grips may become relative. Don't think our enemies wont go after our technology and crash it if a war ever ensues. Its sad and sickening how technology has replaced "simple Know how" and how things work. So little people know how anything works or how to fix anything. The smarter we get, the dumber we become.

Its sad and sickening how technology has replaced "simple Know how" and how things work. So little people know how anything works or how to fix anything. The smarter we get, the dumber we become.
People have been not knowing how to do stuff since well before Vice-Grips. The stone mason didn't know how to beat a lump of ore into a quality sword. You're focusing on a small aspect and ignoring the rest. People may not learn the same things they did 50 years ago, they don't have too. They can google how to do something. A person today, using available tech, would make a similar person stuck in 1960 tech look feeble. Technology is simply another tool.

And if a solar flare knocks out all that technology tomorrow, what then, vise grips may become relative. Don't think our enemies wont go after our technology and crash it if a war ever ensues. Its sad and sickening how technology has replaced "simple Know how" and how things work. So little people know how anything works or how to fix anything. The smarter we get, the dumber we become.

I think you're overestimating how difficult it is to use vice-grips. Any GED holding individual (if that) can figure out how to use and apply vice-grips to solve a problem within 30 seconds of being introduced to the tool. It's not rocket surgery.

Technology hasn't replaced "simple know how." If anything technology has enhanced our ability to learn simple tasks. If you know how to use Google you can learn how to do pretty much anything you want.

Clutch go out in your car? I bet there's a step by step "how to" complete with pictures out there, for your specific application.

Hot water heater on the fritz? I bet there's a step by step "how to" guide out there showing you replace it.

Got a clogged drain and don't know how to fix it? Easy.

I could go on and on, but I think some of you old timers should give younger people credit. People are adaptable and can learn when pressured.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

Video games are great for brain development, as are most forms of technology. I've said it 100 times and I'll say it again. Technology is not the problem, the drive and motivation of people (or lack of) is the problem. Playing video games is great for brain development, but sitting home on unemployment playing video games all day won't get you anywhere. I have a friend who has been living that life for a year or two now. I'm a college student and I find many people my age just assume things will be given to them. I've talked to him about getting a job, but he just figures it is easier to sit home where his mom does everything for him and he doesn't have to worry about anything. Parents don't help either when they give their kids everything. Technology really isn't the problem at all.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Video games are great for brain development, as are most forms of technology. I've said it 100 times and I'll say it again. Technology is not the problem, the drive and motivation of people (or lack of) is the problem. Playing video games is great for brain development, but sitting home on unemployment playing video games all day won't get you anywhere. I have a friend who has been living that life for a year or two now. I'm a college student and I find many people my age just assume things will be given to them. I've talked to him about getting a job, but he just figures it is easier to sit home where his mom does everything for him and he doesn't have to worry about anything. Parents don't help either when they give their kids everything. Technology really isn't the problem at all.

Bingo, sir.

But sometimes the technology eliminates the element of
"struggle" that actually increases the mental abilities in the human mind. If that bum sitting at home playing video games and using the computer at home didn't have those things (I'd even include that [censored] load of garbage we have on cable TV today) he'd likely be bored enough to get out of the darn house and find a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back