Is synthetic worth it for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Cary:
It depends on how much your time is worth. Personally, I would use Mobil 1 and change it every 7500-10,000 miles. Save me 2 oil changes including the hassle and time involved in getting the oil and filter, or the cost and time of going to the dealer. Check out this UOA showing the M1 going 10,000 miles in this engine with plenty of TBN left.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000858#000000

Cary

I missed that when I searched the UOA section. Pretty impressive. I can get M1 at Costco for under $4 a quart, so that may work out.

Prior to switching to the synthetic, would an AutoRX do me any good? As far as I can tell, I have no oil related problems.

I would change to the M1 and reduce the first interval a little since it will remove some of the dino residue and deplete the additives quicker. Just stick with the oil!

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 90500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

In your case I would simply do the math of using dino vs. synthetic. Decide what interval you'd be comfortable with using synthetic and then compare the cost of oil changes for a year vs. a year of dino Chevron at 3K (4K would be fine for Chevron) and include a new filter with each change into the formula. Either way your engine will be protected.

[ June 03, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

For a motor like this I have three recommendations.

Mobil1 0w30
German Castrol 0w30 (if you can find it)

If you are on a budget then take a look at the supertech "synthetic", its not a real synthetic but it is a decent oil for 2 bucks a quart.

I would go 5k on the mobil1 or the GC, and 4k on the supertech at most.

JH

Most people in NJ go to Jiffy Lube and pay $27 for dino every 3k miles. I spend that and get a superior oil and change it every 6-8k miles. So it takes me a big 30-40 mins to do it. All oil is cheap IMO. Some spend $40 on hair care products so it's all relative.
tongue.gif

I have been overloading my brain with info from this site for the past several months. Got a question for you guys.

I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. It is the 3.4L V6 5VZ-FE engine. There are 48,800 miles on it. I mostly drive short trips in town with about 10 trips to the snow in the winter. I used the Toyota dealership for oil changes up to 40k. Since then I have been doing Chevron Supreme 10w30 with 3k intervals. This is mainly due to my short trips. 3k miles will take me 3-4 months to drive.

The question is, is it worth it to switch to Mobil 1 or Amsoil and extend the drain interval, or should I just stick with this? I do plan on keeping this truck a long, long time. I always thought that synthetic was better for those that drove a lot of miles, which clearly is not my case.

Thanks for the input.

It depends on how much your time is worth. Personally, I would use Mobil 1 and change it every 7500-10,000 miles. Save me 2 oil changes including the hassle and time involved in getting the oil and filter, or the cost and time of going to the dealer. Check out this UOA showing the M1 going 10,000 miles in this engine with plenty of TBN left.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000858#000000

Cary

I'd go with the Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 and change it once a year, or at the very least test it after a year. Since this engine has a fairly small oil filter, I'd change that after six months. The OEM Toyota oil filters would be fine for this application and if you buy them three at a time, you can normally get them for about $5.00 each.

The reason I'm recommending 0w-30 and not 10w-30 is due to the short trip driving and occasional cold weather use;combined with the very high fuel prices in CA. I've seen a consistent 3% fuel savings with the Series 2000, 0w-30 in comparison to the Amsoil 10w-30, under short trip driving conditions. The Series 2000 will hold up better than the regular Amsoil 5w-30 or 10w-30 and I believe it would be more cost effective in this case.

10,000 mile changes @ 20 mpg = 500 gallons of fuel
500 gallons @ $2.50/gallon = $1250.00
3% of $1250.00 = $37.50 fuel savings
Additional cost of the Series 2000 over the Amsoil 10w-30 is approx $15.00/year

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

For short trip intervals, I would probably go ahead and make the switch. But be assured that the Chevron Supreme is some pretty good stuff too and your engine is probably A1 condition. You could go to 7K without a worry in the world. For 10K, I'd at least run a UOA on it just for self insurance. But, when you go skiing and if your staying over night, I'd feel better the next morning when it's cold outside knowing I had synthetic sitting in the crank case ready to go.

I wanted to add that I think the benefits of a good synthetic show up later in the cars life. My car has 160k + miles on it. While it is a Toyota and will last a long time regardless, my car runs better then EVER. In fact, I think my car runs better then many new ones. I test drove a new one and in terms of engine power, my car hasn't missed a step. I don't plan on keeping it much longer, but I'm glad that at 160k miles, I have a car that runs like this. I think this is where the extra $ is worth it. Periodic use of Auto-Rx and modest drain intervals will help. Even at 7k mile drain intervals, your saving with synthetics. Takes 40 mins to change the oil.

Go to Walmart and buy 2 5 quart containers of M1 for like$18 each.These two containers and two filters is all you need for a years time. Change your oil and filter ever 6 months and call it good. If you did a lot of HWY driveing I could see extended drains but not with all the short trips and sitting.

If you want to do extended drains then go for it but I would not recomend it with your driveing style.

I would receomend that if you stay with conventional oil you consider Auto-Rx. I figure that with your current 3000 mile oil change interval every 3-4 months and Auto-RX every 50,000-60,000 miles you engine should be kept extremly clean and the seals should be nice and pliable.

[ June 05, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

If you use synthetics, you can go for 7 months with changing. I would rather not think about changing oil for a longer period of time unless you are like some guys who love changing their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back