Is RP Max ATF Better than Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to do a full atf exchange in my 08 Taurus w/ 24K miles. Doing a pan drop w/new filter and cooler exchange procedure then adding a Magnafine filter. O'Reily's has Royal Purple Max ATF for $10.99qt. and Amsoil is $9.95qt. at a local garage. Is the RP really that good if the old saying "you get what you pay for" line is true? From a factual pov which is better, RP atf or Amsoil atf ?

I personally use Amsoil ATF and I think it is the best ATF on the market.

I would put in Motorcraft Mercon V before I put in Royal Purple ATF, is this stuff compatible with Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I would put in Motorcraft Mercon V before I put in Royal Purple ATF, is this stuff compatible with Mercon V.

Amsoil, I just think it's an all around better ATF.

c3po, RP is compatible with Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Thanks, panthermike, did not know Royal Purple ATF was compatible with Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Thanks, panthermike, did not know Royal Purple ATF was compatible with Mercon V.

No problem.

Last edited:
You both said I think it's[Amsoil ATF] is the best. Why do you think that? Is there UOA data or some comparison test to back it up ? The guy at O'Reily's said the RP Max ATF is "the best atf on the market today", but he had nothing to prove his claim.

I understand what you're saying. I prefer Amsoil because of its proven track record. Saying "best on the market" is a blind statement, that has no validity. I would say it's a preference thing, mine being Amsoil because it's proven to be a great ATF.

Maybe someone will chime in with technical knowledge?

I have not used RP and have no reason to, really, since the Amsoil ATF that I have used for years has never disappointed in anything I have used it in. I cannot give you factual evidence as most people cannot here on this forum. That would require a great deal of professional testing and cost a mint.

My opinion is, based on years of experience, is that you cannot do much better than Amsoil ATF, and that I would personally not pay more than $7-8 per quart for the RP if I ever got the notion to try some. I think that $11/qt is overpriced for the RP.

There are always some people that will think that something is of better quality if it is priced higher than others. Maybe take a look at the product data sheets and compare. This data may give you some clues as to their comparative quality so that you can make a more fact-based decision.

Hopefully someone here will chime in and give us their opinion, based on years of experience with RP ATF, and tell us how great RP ATF has done for them.

Originally Posted By: airbusdrvr
You both said I think it's[Amsoil ATF] is the best. Why do you think that? Is there UOA data or some comparison test to back it up ? The guy at O'Reily's said the RP Max ATF is "the best atf on the market today", but he had nothing to prove his claim.

I know its the best in my opinion, my trans shifts better, shifts smoother, runs cooler, than any other trans fluid I have used.

The guy at O'Reillys said that Royal Purple Max ATF is the best becuase he sells it there and it is probably the most expensive ATF they carry.

I have run RP MaxATF in multiple applications( GM, Dodge, and Ford ). It is a great ATF. Not going to start a big pee'ing contest with the Amsoil guys, nor provide fodder for the RP haters here to get going, so I will simply say it is at least as good as Amsoil's ATF. RP, Redline, and Amsoil make great synthetic ATF's. Any of the 3 are a great choice. I personally like the RP brand and it is what I use.

Either one will do right by you. If price is your determining factor go with the more affordable one. Your price quoted for RP is high though. I can get it for right around the same cost as the Amsoil price you quoted. A little more or a little less depending on which warehouse.

RP always seems to be too $$$ when buying at big parts chains. Not sure why they are so $$$ compared to what I can easily and readily get it for from local sources other than the big parts chains? Those big chains SHOULD be able to sell it for less with their increased buying power yet they pork people?

You can get RP MaxATF on e-bay as well. You should be able to get it cheaper than the Amsoil with a free shipping deal that can usually be found.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have run RP MaxATF in multiple applications( GM, Dodge, and Ford ). It is a great ATF. Not going to start a big pee'ing contest with the Amsoil guys, nor provide fodder for the RP haters here to get going, so I will simply say it is at least as good as Amsoil's ATF. RP, Redline, and Amsoil make great synthetic ATF's. Any of the 3 are a great choice. I personally like the RP brand and it is what I use.

Either one will do right by you. If price is your determining factor go with the more affordable one. Your price quoted for RP is high though. I can get it for right around the same cost as the Amsoil price you quoted. A little more or a little less depending on which warehouse.

RP always seems to be too $$$ when buying at big parts chains. Not sure why they are so $$$ compared to what I can easily and readily get it for from local sources other than the big parts chains? Those big chains SHOULD be able to sell it for less with their increased buying power yet they pork people?

You can get RP MaxATF on e-bay as well. You should be able to get it cheaper than the Amsoil with a free shipping deal that can usually be found.

That's who I was waiting for to chime in. If there's anyone that can tell you about RP, NHHEMI is the man to talk to. Just check his sig.

It seems out of the 3 transmission fluids that Amsoil ATF has the lowest Viscosity Index.

1) Amsoil ATF 168
2) Mobil 1 ATF 176
3) Royal Purple ATF 210

I have used:

1) Amsoil ATF
2) Redline D4
3) Mobil 1 ATF

The Amsoil ATF made the transmission shift the best, period.
In cold weather the other ATF's gave me a lazy delayed shift, the Amsoil ATF shifted in the cold weather like it did when the car was totaly warmed up.

I have an Amsoil Dealer in my area that has a 1986 Chevy Astro Van that he used Amsoil ATF in, he just had the transmission rebuilt a year ago, it had 397,000 miles on it when it went in to be rebuilt. These Astro Vans did not have the greatest transmissions and many of them did not last past 150,000 miles.

I talked with a guy who sold Royal Purple and he commented that he had a customer who used Royal Purple ATF in his Chevy Astro Van, and it lasted until 265,000 miles before it was rebuilt.

Of course we have to take into account how both vehicles were driven, the guy using Royal Purple in his Astro Van could have had a heavier right foot than the guy who had Amsoil ATF in his Astro Van.

I have read through all of the posts in the ATF section and there is a guy who has been using Amsoil ATF since 1980 on his various cars and he has never had to replace a transmission or do any kind of work on them.

I feel what is more important than the argument of whether Amsoil ATF is better or not better than Royal Purple ATF is too have a powerful rare earth magnet in your transmission pan, or if your trans pan is aluminum a Magnefine or external transmission filter.

The last thing is to keep the fluid cool with an external transmission cooler if you feel your trans fluid is getting too hot.

I recently replaced the transmission fluid in my 2002 V6 Ford Explorer, which is a Mercon V transmission, with Schaeffer's ALL-Trans Supreme fully synthetic transmission fluid. It's not talked about much here but it has made my Explorer shift very smoothly and well, and is a good fluid in my opinion. It has a Mercon V license number if that's important to anyone.

It's tech data sheet can be found here. Some highlights:

Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270: 196
Flash Point ºF/ºC ASTM D-92: 425ºF/218.33ºC
Pour Point ºF/ºC ASTM D-97 -60ºF/-51ºC

Certainly works well for me in a Mercon V application, and certainly worthy of consideration.

Rumple

It seems like the Schaeffer's Trans Fluid does a little better at the 4- Ball Wear Test than Amsoil ATF.

I did notice that it has a higher viscosity index than Amsoil ATF.

Does a higher or lower Viscosity Index mean anything when we are comparing transmission fluids.

Originally Posted By: rumple
I recently replaced the transmission fluid in my 2002 V6 Ford Explorer, which is a Mercon V transmission, with Schaeffer's ALL-Trans Supreme fully synthetic transmission fluid. It's not talked about much here but it has made my Explorer shift very smoothly and well, and is a good fluid in my opinion. It has a Mercon V license number if that's important to anyone.

It's tech data sheet can be found here. Some highlights:

Viscosity Index ASTM D-2270: 196
Flash Point ºF/ºC ASTM D-92: 425ºF/218.33ºC
Pour Point ºF/ºC ASTM D-97 -60ºF/-51ºC

Certainly works well for me in a Mercon V application, and certainly worthy of consideration.

Rumple

+1, Schaeffer's makes a good tranny fluid.

I have RP in a Mercon V application (F150HD) and I can't tell any difference in operation between the RP and the Mercon V. I didn't expect to. I will be doing oil analysis but any useful results are a long ways down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back