Is RP Max ATF Better than Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I have RP in a Mercon V application (F150HD) and I can't tell any difference in operation between the RP and the Mercon V. I didn't expect to. I will be doing oil analysis but any useful results are a long ways down the road.

In my experience GM tranny's experience the most noticeable shift improvement with the RP MaxATF. Ford and Dodge not as much although some. However, the tranny's have run much cooler( especially when towing in hot weather )and the fluid when changed is in MUCH better shape. Fewer particles in the pan as well.

Everytime GM or Ford comes out with a new transmission fluid spec, and example being Mercon to Mercon V, Amsoil ATF already meets the spec or beats it.

I would stick with Mercon V in a Ford, if that is what it calls for, and not a one size fits all fluid. The same goes for Chrysler transmissions, for me it's not worth taking any chances.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I would stick with Mercon V in a Ford, if that is what it calls for, and not a one size fits all fluid. The same goes for Chrysler transmissions, for me it's not worth taking any chances.

AD

Transmission Fluid is basically hydraulic oil, Mercon V is not a transmission fluid, Mercon V is the spec that the transmission fluid needs to meet.

Amsoil ATF, Mobil 1 ATF, and Royal Purple ATF are not a one size fits all transmission fluid since there are a few transmissions that you cannot use these fluids in.

Back in the 1970's when Ford and GM were KING OF THE HILL auto parts stores stocked Mercon Trans Fluid for the Fords and Dexron II or maybe it was III can't remember. Anyways people were putting in Dexron in the Ford's and Mercon in the GM's, so the stores started carrying one fluid that was a Dexron/ Mercon trans fluid.

If you want to use a Mercon V approved fluid only there are many out there besides Motorcraft Mercon V, compare those fluids spec sheets against:

1) Amsoil ATF
2) Mobil 1 ATF
3) Redline D4 ATF
4) Royal Purple ATF
5) Schaeffer's ATF

There are many cheap Mercon V transmission fluids on the shelves that have a lower Flash Point than Motorcraft Mercon V, so basically you get what you pay for.

Do not expect Advance Auto Parts Mercon V trans fluid too have the same numbers as Motorcraft Mercon V or the other synthetic ATF's that I mentioned above.

Amsoil ATF is recommended for 50,000 miles under sever service, and 100,000 miles under normal service.

Lets say I plan on driving a car for 300,000 miles and I change out 4 quarts of trans fluid every 30,000 miles. I will be spending an extra $222.00 if I use Amsoil ATF versus the cheap Advance Auto Parts trans fluid. We can also substitute Mobil 1 and Royal Purple trans fluid instead of the Amsoil ATF.

That extra $222.00 is much cheaper than a transmission rebuild that can cost $1500.00 or more.

I know all about getting what you pay for. I would use Pennzoil Mercon V ATF change at the suggested interval, and expect a long life for my AT. There is a lot more to AT life than just changing fluid. I have friends that are salesmen running from Virgina to Florida, logging 60,000+ miles a year. One of them drives at night to avoid traffic. He has a Ford Taurus with a little over 450,000 miles everything original. Changes fluid and filter once a year, using Pennzoil ATF. Take that same car and subject it to NYC stop and go traffic, and you can pour liquid gold into it and it won't last half that changing fluid every 30,000 miles. There are a lot of factors involved, fluid is just one of them, transmission design, and many other things come into play. I've read on this board some people had issues with Amsoil ATF in Honda cars, switched to Honda ATF problems gone. Amsoil met the Honda spec too. I am not bashing Amsoil I think they make great products, I'm bring out a point.

He stuck a PC hard drive magnet on the bottom of the pan and swears but it.

BTW I wouldn't use anything AAP, when it comes to any fluids. :)

AD

I have a rare earth magnet in my transmission pan too.

If everybody changed there trans fluid and filter once a year, there transmissions would last a very long time, the body of the car would fall apart 1st.

Highway driving is probably easier on a transmission since there is less shifting of the transmission compared to stop and go driving.

A car that is driven on the highway versus stop and go driving can probably last 3 times longer.

There are certain Honda Transmissions that Amsoil ATF does not meet the spec for.

Highway driving is probably easier on the transmission since it does not get the trans fluid as hot as stop and go driving.

There is definetly more to transmission life than just changing fluids, a lot also depends on how heavy your right foot is.
A good trans pan magnet to catch ferrous junk and a good external trans cooler help.

I believe I read that 95% of all transmission failures are the result of excessive heat.

I think we're on the same page now!
10.gif

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I think we're on the same page now!
10.gif

AD

I believe so, I drop the trans pan and change the trans filter on my El Camino once a year, and then put in 5 quarts of new trans fluid. My transmission on my 1983 Chevrolet El Camino is a Turbo 350 transmission. I drive the car conservatively, I also forgot to mention that if you have a transmission with weak parts, meaning a design flaw, it does not matter what transmission fluid you use, it will fail.

I should also mention that I have 367,000 miles on this transmission, and out of those miles maybe 20% is highway driving.

I mentioned about design issues in one of my responses. The Taurus transmissions weren't the greatest that's for sure.

367,000 miles is impressive, and the TH350 trannys were good. Yours was probably assembled on the right day of the week :), and cared for. I take it easy on my things, since replacing them is hard to do for me (lacking cash).

I also noticed that any car I've ever been in that had the transmission rebuilt was never the same. I'm talking about stock daily drivers, not HP applications. I don't ever want to have to replace a transmission.

AD

I agree about rebuilt transmissions, it would be cheaper for me to call up Summit and pick up a TCI or B&M Turbo 350 then rebuilding my transmission.

Of course I would probably step up to a Turbo 400 instead.

Motorcraft Mercon V is cSt@100C 7.5 and Amsoil is now formulated for cSt@100C 7.6 and RP ATF Max is cSt@100C 7.4 . Since Amsoil is cheaper than RP ATF Max, I guess I'll go with the Amsoil .

Originally Posted By: airbusdrvr
Motorcraft Mercon V is cSt@100C 7.5 and Amsoil is now formulated for cSt@100C 7.6 and RP ATF Max is cSt@100C 7.4 . Since Amsoil is cheaper than RP ATF Max, I guess I'll go with the Amsoil .

You won't be disappointed with Amsoil ATF, I am using it in my Mercury Marauder and the trans shifts smoother than the Motorcraft Mercon V that was in there.

The pan has been dropped and cleaned, filter changed, out with the old and in with the new Amsoil ATF via cooler line and a Magnafine filter was placed. This 08 Taurus has 25K on it right now. Will be driven 80+% highway miles. I'm planning from this point forward only a pan drop fluid replacement every 50K miles and replacement of Magnafine filter every 75K miles. Does this sound OK for those in the know ?

Last edited:
The pan has been dropped and cleaned, filter changed, out with the old and in with the new Amsoil ATF via cooler line and a Magnafine filter was placed. This 08 Taurus has 25K on it right now. Will be driven 80+% highway miles. I'm planning from this point forward only a pan drop fluid replacement every 50K miles and replacement of Magnafine filter every 75K miles. Does this sound OK for those in the know ?

The Amsoil ATF change every 50,000 miles sounds right, I thought the Magnefine needed to be replaced every 30,000 miles or so. You might want to go to the Magnefine website, get there number and call them up to see what they say.

I believe the Magnefine has a tiny bypass just in case it gets clogged. Do you have a magnet in your trans pan.

Originally Posted By: c3po

The Amsoil ATF change every 50,000 miles sounds right, I thought the Magnefine needed to be replaced every 30,000 miles or so. You might want to go to the Magnefine website, get their number and call them up to see what they say.

I believe the Magnefine has a tiny bypass just in case it gets clogged. Do you have a magnet in your trans pan.

Email the Magnefine sponsor on this website. I believe he will say 30K - 40K. 75K seems a bit much. The Magnefine filter itself says 15K which is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back