Is Royal Purple ATF worth it?

Steady 65mph on the highway = ambient temp + 75/80F (depends on absolute ambient and humidity).
Sitting in traffic = ambient + 95F/100F
Isn't the transmission cooler shared with the engine coolant? And anyway the transmission case will get more or less in thermal equilibrium with the engine case, since they are bolted together.

In this case the transmission fluid temps should be monitored in relation to coolant temps.
I am looking at keeping them equal or at most +10F for transmission (in heavy usage like stop and go traffic in 90F or higher ambient).
On highway usage, I am at -10..20F because I have added an aux transmission cooler.

The measured ATF temperature reported will be highly dependent upon the location of the temperature sensor.

I make measurements at the output port of the transmission since this is the actual temp of the oil before it goes to the cooler (heat exchanger) in the radiator.

The measured ATF temperature reported will be highly dependent upon the location of the temperature sensor.
I agree, in my case I am relying on reading the manufacturer transmission temperature sensors (Ford and Toyota transmissions).
On Hyundai/Kia I didn't research hard enough how to read them (PID codes).

At $3 a quart... That is a fairly good deal there. You did fine to get that RP.

Pennzoil full synthetic ATF that is Dexron VI licenced and Mercon LV is $4.68 a quart. And that is considered a pretty good deal on here by most people.

So $3 per quart of Royal Purple is a "fairly good" deal. But $4.68 for Pennzoil is a "pretty good" deal? Is that right?

Back