Is Redline 5w30 the correct oil for my 2017 Mustang GT Weekend/Track Car Application

Hi guys, I am a new member.

I have a 2017 Mustang 5.0. it is mainly a weekend car (likely with most drives being spirited driving in the canyons) that will also see some autocross/track time few times a year.
Due to the car mainly being driven "hard" when it will be driven on weekends and on the track, I think 5w30 Redline seems like a good choice. It is ester based, good HTHS score, good NOACK score, also API SN certified which I believe meets Ford oil spec for my 2017 5.0. In addition, from my understanding, the 5w30 redline is closer to a 5w35 or 5w40" because of how "thick" it is, I think it might be a good choice for a dual purpose weekend/track car.
Price is not an issue because with the low amount of miles I will be driving a year and the few track events I do; I will most likely end up changing the oil only once per year anyway, which is what I already do.
Is this the correct oil for my application? A weekend car that is maybe driven once every 2 weeks, and a car that sees the abuse of track time few times a year?
I still don't understand a lot about engine oil, so feel free to point out why this oil would not be best or why you think it might work.
Using an ester based oil like redline with high heat shear resistance, I think is most beneficial when the oil is used in the setting like on the track, where it sees high temperature. Is there a downside to using the oil while I am just leisurely cruising on the weekend and not on the track? Is it bad for the oil to just sit in your engine because like I said, I don't drive the car much.

After doing a lot of reading on track forums and this forum, I am starting to think Redline 5w30 might be the correct oil to use for my application.

Welcome !
I have a 15 GT currently using Valvoline maxlife full syn in 5w30 runs very well on this .
I have also used the same oil in 0w20 with the same results , could be in my head but seems to run a bit quieter on the 30 weight.
I have used redline in an other car in 10w30 it is an excellent oil and would do fine in your mustang.

It is good for track.
You can just go Mobil1 0W40.
Or any Euro ACEA A3 oil.
I personally prefer oils that are approved for Porsche A40 when using on track.
I don't understand much about Euro spec oils. Can you explain what are the primary differences between euro spec oils and say oils for American cars? Is there a downside to using euro spec oils in American cars?

I don't understand much about Euro spec oils. Can you explain what are the primary differences between euro spec oils and say oils for American cars? Is there a downside to using euro spec oils in American cars?
You have a lot in European section. But in short, ACEA A3 oils have minimum HTHS of 3.5mpas.
Also, they have numerous manufacturers approvals. Meets and exceeds what Redline claims is not same as approved. Look for oil that has MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approval. Mobil1 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W40 are best usual suspects. I used both on track with excellent results.

Welcome !
I have a 15 GT currently using Valvoline maxlife full syn in 5w30 runs very well on this .
I have also used the same oil in 0w20 with the same results , could be in my head but seems to run a bit quieter on the 30 weight.
I have used redline in an other car in 10w30 it is an excellent oil and would do fine in your mustang.
Were you tracking your 5.0 with the Valvoline 5w30?

You have a lot in European section. But in short, ACEA A3 oils have minimum HTHS of 3.5mpas.
Also, they have numerous manufacturers approvals. Meets and exceeds what Redline claims is not same as approved. Look for oil that has MB229.5 and Porsche A40 approval. Mobil1 0W40, Castrol Edge 0W40 are best usual suspects. I used both on track with excellent results.
Is there a downside to running a 0 w for low temp viscosity since OEM recommends 5 for low temp? I live in California so I will never see snow and the lowest I will see is probably 35 degrees.

Were you tracking your 5.0 with the Valvoline 5w30?
No track events !
but some sustained high speed runs which i don't think it taxed the drivetrain what so ever.
Ford now specs 5w30 for the 5.0 so no worries running it .

Is there a downside to running a 0 w for low temp viscosity since OEM recommends 5 for low temp? I live in California so I will never see snow and the lowest I will see is probably 35 degrees.
No issues whatsoever.
The thing is not whether you need 0W or not (I run 5W40 in Colorado) but those are just really good oils and are really, really good on track and, readily available (especially M1).
You can go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Also very good oil, HTHS 3.88mpas. Available in Auto Zone or AAP for $37 for 5qt with filter.

Porsche A40 approval includes 8X1hrs of track time in oil sump simulator that simulates Nordschleife track:
Porsche sump test.

First off, nice ride.
Second, I think you would be fine with Redline 5w30. Or 5w40. Or 5w50.
I think many people put way too much attention on viscosity, and not enough on more important things such as approvals.

The early gen Coyotes are pretty resilient to oil, I have seen a number of guys who track theirs using w30 through w50, with UOA, and have yet to see a bad showing from any of them.

w20 and high performance should not be used in the same sentence, in my opinion. w20 oils are for economy. Even "lighter" for drag racing. But for dual duty track/street, don't waste your time or money.

Hi guys, I am a new member.

I have a 2017 Mustang 5.0. it is mainly a weekend car (likely with most drives being spirited driving in the canyons) that will also see some autocross/track time few times a year.
Due to the car mainly being driven "hard" when it will be driven on weekends and on the track, I think 5w30 Redline seems like a good choice. It is ester based, good HTHS score, good NOACK score, also API SN certified which I believe meets Ford oil spec for my 2017 5.0. In addition, from my understanding, the 5w30 redline is closer to a 5w35 or 5w40" because of how "thick" it is, I think it might be a good choice for a dual purpose weekend/track car.
Price is not an issue because with the low amount of miles I will be driving a year and the few track events I do; I will most likely end up changing the oil only once per year anyway, which is what I already do.
Is this the correct oil for my application? A weekend car that is maybe driven once every 2 weeks, and a car that sees the abuse of track time few times a year?
I still don't understand a lot about engine oil, so feel free to point out why this oil would not be best or why you think it might work.
Using an ester based oil like redline with high heat shear resistance, I think is most beneficial when the oil is used in the setting like on the track, where it sees high temperature. Is there a downside to using the oil while I am just leisurely cruising on the weekend and not on the track? Is it bad for the oil to just sit in your engine because like I said, I don't drive the car much.

After doing a lot of reading on track forums and this forum, I am starting to think Redline 5w30 might be the correct oil to use for my application.
Red Line 5W-30 is not an API licensed motor oil. It is colloquially known as a "boutique oil". It's typical properties reflect those of a ACEA A3/B4 motor oil. It's a very good lubricant and you should get very good results out of it.

As cost is a factor, there are less expensive alternatives to Red Line 5W-30 that will produce the same or better results, like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, which you can find at Walmart on sale for $24.97 per 5-quart jug on a regular basis. It's the factory fill for McLaren, Nissan GTR, Porsche, and others. I'm it'll do just fine in your Coyote 5.0 engine without burning a hole in your pocket.

Red Line 5W-30 is not an API licensed motor oil. It is colloquially known as a "boutique oil". It's typical properties reflect those of a ACEA A3/B4 motor oil. It's a very good lubricant and you should get very good results out of it.

As cost is a factor, there are less expensive alternatives to Red Line 5W-30 that will produce the same or better results, like Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, which you can find at Walmart on sale for $24.97 per 5-quart jug on a regular basis. It's the factory fill for McLaren, Nissan GTR, Porsche, and others. I'm it'll do just fine in your Coyote 5.0 engine without burning a hole in your pocket.
M1 went from$24 to $29. Don’t spread such misinformation 😂

M1 went from$24 to $29. Don’t spread such misinformation 😂
Red Line is $65/gallon. They can, and should, keep it at that price. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 can still be purchased for $24.97 online at Walmart. It's not always on sale, but it is often enough. It's very good motor oil for the price. Red Line wishes their 0W-40 was that good. Actually 0W-XX oils aren't great, and Red Line reformulated them to "improve LSPI protection" and sacrificed anti-wear and TBN properties. They basically made a more expensive version of Valvoline EP. Just look up my thread about RL 0W-20/30.

No issues whatsoever.
The thing is not whether you need 0W or not (I run 5W40 in Colorado) but those are just really good oils and are really, really good on track and, readily available (especially M1).
You can go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Also very good oil, HTHS 3.88mpas. Available in Auto Zone or AAP for $37 for 5qt with filter.

Porsche A40 approval includes 8X1hrs of track time in oil sump simulator that simulates Nordschleife track:
Porsche sump test.
So, something like this is ok

or this?

I thought 5W50 was the recomended oil for that car. I'd use it anyway if it sees track time.
I would do 5w50 if it is an all out track car. I read that a lot of people who track their mustangs would use 40 weight for dual purpose car daily/track

Red Line is $65/gallon. They can, and should, keep it at that price. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 can still be purchased for $24.97 online at Walmart. It's not always on sale, but it is often enough. It's very good motor oil for the price. Red Line wishes their 0W-40 was that good. Actually 0W-XX oils aren't great, and Red Line reformulated them to "improve LSPI protection" and sacrificed anti-wear and TBN properties. They basically made a more expensive version of Valvoline EP. Just look up my thread about RL 0W-20/30.
Seems like Redline might be snake oil then huh. I am not too concerned about cost but I do want a good quality oil that gives me a peace of mind when I abuse the car on track. At the end of the day, oil is still cheaper than an engine replacement haha.

I noticed a lot of mustang owners users who track their cars using M1 0w40. Is there a reason why they use the 0w40 over the M1 5w40?

I have not tried 40-weight oil before, and I know they are labeled as "for european car". Like edyvw said above, is just that they go through more rigorous oil testing is that correct? and that 40 weight just happen to be the most common viscosity used for european cars. So is safe to run "european car" oil in my Ford right?

Seems like Redline might be snake oil then huh. I am not too concerned about cost but I do want a good quality oil that gives me a peace of mind when I abuse the car on track. At the end of the day, oil is still cheaper than an engine replacement haha.

I noticed a lot of mustang owners users who track their cars using M1 0w40. Is there a reason why they use the 0w40 over the M1 5w40?

I have not tried 40-weight oil before, and I know they are labeled as "for european car". Like edyvw said above, is just that they go through more rigorous oil testing is that correct? and that 40 weight just happen to be the most common viscosity used for european cars. So is safe to run "european car" oil in my Ford right?

There’s no issue running “euro” oil in an “American” car :)

Back